Old 11-13-2019, 06:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,737 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkgreen View Post
This is not true. I'm not wading in to say one company is better than the other. I'm saying I've tried a lot of discs from a lot of different brands and I haven't found anything that flies quite like a Teebird. Maybe some Legacy Rivals. Nothing that Trilogy has though.
Same with Firebirds. Sure, other companies have speed 9ish overstable stuff, including Trilogy, but they don't fly like a Firebird. The differences are important.
While I appreciate you opinion, I think this has become more urban legend than truth. I can't argue that there is no disc identical to a Teebird or Firebird, I am sure this is true. But, I certainly don't need any disc identical to them. Why would anyone try. There is no magic in either disc (yes, I know this is heretic speak). If I really want a flight exactly like either, I should throw them. The subtle difference are VERY important, and why many would throw something else. I am now not sure if we agree, or disagree, lol.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2019, 06:07 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 62 Times in 33 Posts

I guess I'll throw this out there since everyone is dog piling on DD: My only complaint with DD comes from some of Robert McCall's earlier commentary efforts. He would embark on a long soliloquy about Eric Oakley's preferred run of enforcers with details about the dome and color and feel, and then McBeth would walk up to the tee and he'd say something like "Paul's probably throwing a Destroyer here" and that'd be it. In all fairness though, I thought his commentary coverage of worlds went a long way in improving this. I never minded the extra trilogy info, I just feel that if you're doing commentary on a big tournament, you have a responsibility to go ask Paul about his Destoryers (or Zeus' now). Nate and Jerm seem to have this balancing act down pretty well.

Other than that though, I have no issues with DD and their social media presence. My buddy doesn't follow professional disc golf at all, has no idea who McBeth or Wysocki are, but he loves Danny Lindahl's tutorials and form breakdown videos.

I'll also say the "is this disc right for you" videos are some of the best mold introduction videos out there.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 107
Niced 366 Times in 173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albatross View Post
Homemade slow cooked Ham and Pineapple on the left, Pesto Walnut on the right made with my own pesto recipe containing basil from my mother's garden, and walnuts from my partner's family ranch. Cold-rise sourdough recipe is linked earlier in the thread. Someday I'll have a pizza stone, or the appropriate oven, but for now this represents my A-game.
Looks like Chef Boyardee to me. LOL!!!! Enjoy!
Old 11-13-2019, 06:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

Personally I call BS on anyone that says the TBird, Firebird, or any company's driver is special. There are SO many variants from run to run, from year to year, and plastic to plastic. There are some mids that I think are unique and putters too. But for the most part, unless you look for a SPECIFIC run from a SPECIFIC time of a disc, the differences are too little to make a difference for anyone to notice.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:34 PM

Courses Played: 34
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabman View Post
you have a responsibility to go ask Paul about his Destoryers (or Zeus' now).
That would be ideal, but just doesn't happen that often. Other pros just remember everyones bag like their own, and there is no-one better than Seppo, who even knows what brand of candy you carry in your bag. Likes snooping around..

Niced: (2)
Old 11-13-2019, 06:36 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 458 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Personally I call BS on anyone that says the TBird, Firebird, or any company's driver is special. There are SO many variants from run to run, from year to year, and plastic to plastic. There are some mids that I think are unique and putters too. But for the most part, unless you look for a SPECIFIC run from a SPECIFIC time of a disc, the differences are too little to make a difference for anyone to notice.
I just assume the error margins of my throws are larger than the difference between runs and in most cases plastics.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,207 Times in 563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
The problem with social media is that in order to ensure more eyeballs, you need to post frequently and generate interactions with those posts. Otherwise, the algorithms ignore you and when you do post, they're seen by a fraction of your followers. And by fraction, I'm talking less than 10%. Kinda sucks to make a post intended to be seen by your (checking Jomez's facebook) 45K followers only to have it seen by about 400 of them. But by spamming with the "annoying" stuff, they're probably getting 10-20K+ views of their post instead. The alternative would be paying to "boost" posts which is not cheap at all.

It works in reverse too. If you want to see the "important" Jomez posts like announcements about new videos and stuff, you have to interact with more of their posts overall. Otherwise you're going to be among the 50-90% who doesn't instantly see their new posts in your feed. It's stupid.

When I worked in Media Sales, it was so frustrating working with small businesses that thought they could get by, just by advertising on Facebook.

Many conversations where they told me that they had thousands of people who liked their page, so they were set making posts on a semi regular basis.

They thought that was all they needed to do to reach their audience.

Some disc golf companies have it figured out, others not so much and then potential customers complain about social media saturation.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-14-2019, 12:26 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 140
Niced 419 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
While I appreciate you opinion, I think this has become more urban legend than truth. I can't argue that there is no disc identical to a Teebird or Firebird, I am sure this is true. But, I certainly don't need any disc identical to them. Why would anyone try. There is no magic in either disc (yes, I know this is heretic speak). If I really want a flight exactly like either, I should throw them. The subtle difference are VERY important, and why many would throw something else. I am now not sure if we agree, or disagree, lol.
Ironically, I think people "love" the flight characteristics of those discs once broken in. It seems, in some regard, the other manufacturers have been more focused on creating a disc that flies like a beat-in TeeBird than a TeeBird replica.

IMO, an Escape flies a lot like a well-beat in TeeBird. So, when I lost my really old TeeBird, an Escape was a good replacement as I continue to season the next TeeBird. I don't care much for the brand, but I can't argue with the flight...

I also think the production consistency, plastic types, and weight make similar molds fly quite differently. So, you may find an Explorer that flies more "like a TeeBird" than a G* TB, or a 150 class TB, or a max weight Luster TB.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Golden Tuna; 11-14-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,738 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Mold differences, maybe not. Plastic type including grip and durability, absolutely. Not all company plastics are equal. Granted, not all runs of plastic are equal either. Casual players may not notice, but those with discerning tastes can tell the difference and as a result they do have preferences.

Niced: (1)

Old 11-14-2019, 12:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,838 Times in 1,583 Posts

New short vid from Westside regarding Nikko. It's a two year contract and he highlights the Ahti, the Shield, and the Crown as discs he's anxious to start working with. Also on the cart that presumably contains the discs he's hand picking out of the warehouse, I can see Bards, Destinys, Giants, Anvils, Kings, Catapults and Worlds.

Closed Thread