Old 11-13-2019, 04:39 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,576 Times in 933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
Initial designs look like a par 65-67. Should be epic!

I (kind of) refuse to get involved in things that don't follow a process. Or, I get involved in things that have no process, and create the process. My current "project" is the St. Louis Club. I believe I can change the perception of the City, our Club, and install new courses. But, I don't want to do this forever, so I am creating processes that can live on well beyond my interest to volunteer. We do need to start holding people accountable for being d-bags though.

I think we've struggled to get a consistent group of solid volunteers. Again, this is a top priority to changes and we've got 6 new guys on our board that are hungry for this change. So, I believe we're moving in the right direction.
One thing that that was true then and is still true now it that there are a lot of really good solid guys in that club. Those guys were just not "organization" people, so they don't know how to go to a meeting or be part of a committee. They need a lot of leadership and a lot of patience since things you would think they should know they don't know. In one way it can be frustrating, but the payoff would be huge since it's an old scene, and big scene and it's got so many good guys as part of it. If you can give them direction and leave it in a way that can be repeated, you might just be what those guys have needed for 30 years.

Which when applied to the Open is nothing but good news. Everything I heard about last year was positive. It's a great opportunity to push the event forward and get it on the radar of more players.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2019, 05:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 523
Niced 153 Times in 72 Posts

4. Master's Only
Old 11-13-2019, 06:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 140
Niced 417 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_Boggles View Post
1. Would you prefer to play 3 rounds (Fri, Sat, Sun) or 4 (Fri, Sat 1, Sat 2, Sun) - Personally, I like the 3-day event format. Makes travelling more cost efficient. If I was more local to the event I would love a 4-day format. Gives me more of a chance to have a bad day but finish respectably.
Both options are the same time commitment.
Do you prefer 3 rounds in 3 days or 4 rounds in 3 days?
Old 11-13-2019, 08:20 PM

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default Events outside

I am and AM50. I go to tournaments just for the disc golf and to hang out with disc golfers. I want to play so as much golf as possible. I am a poor player and have no chance to prize but still want the course to be a serious challenge. Don't care about player's packs. I would love to see social events in the evenings where I could just talk to other golfers. and maybe some arrangement so a large portion of players stay at the same place.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 61
Niced 139 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post

Which when applied to the Open is nothing but good news. Everything I heard about last year was positive. It's a great opportunity to push the event forward and get it on the radar of more players.
I'm not 100% sure who the TD is going to be this year, but Dave West TD'd last year's tournament. I am a huge fan of Dave West. He was one of the first people I met when I first joined the club back in 2011. I had been playing for several years before joining but was always a little bit too timid to join the club. He left a lasting impression on myself and made me feel like a welcomed member of the St. Louis DG Community (I didn't know any members at the time). And I think he had a lot to do with the turn around of this past year's STL Open. It would be nice to see him come back and TD this year as well and keep building the momentum. The March B Tiers was also a huge hit last season. Hopefully we can build upon the success on those events as well (2 B Tiers on the same weekend for those unfamiliar).

We also had someone take over as club president last season (might of been the season before, I can't remember) who has been a long time StL disc golf club member, and he ran unopposed this year. The new club president seems much better at delegating authority and is not afraid to listen to what other club members have to say, and implementing some of those ideas. It's also nice to see someone like Golden Tuna get on here asking for advice from fellow disc golfers to get an idea of what people are looking for in a tournament. I'm not exactly sure of who you are, although I wouldn't doubt if we have crossed paths before. One of these days we gotta meet up for a round!!

Niced: (1)
Old 11-14-2019, 11:40 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,576 Times in 933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck'n'disc5 View Post
I am a huge fan of Dave West.
I live vicariously through Dave West's facebook vacation pictures.

I tell a dumb story about playing glow at White Birch with a guy who putted with black 150 class 86 Softies and that terrible feeling when the putt hit nothing in the dark and you had to start looking around for a black disc you never saw in flight on the ground in the dark; that guy was Dave West. He and Bob Waidmann are a couple of the best guys I've met.

Rando Bob Waidmann story; I was playing the new holes at Creve Coeur this weekend and on hole 6 there is a depression in front of the basket that has two holes in the ground. They are exposed holes that go down to an old sewer line. I know this because I threw my putter off the tee and left it short; it went right down in one of the holes. I couldn't reach it, so I posted on facebook whining about losing my putter down in the hole. Bob got off work, got some equipment and made a special trip out to Creve Coeur to dig my putter out of the hole. Who does that for a guy you threw league with 20 years ago? Bob Waidmann does. You won't find a nicer guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck'n'disc5 View Post
I'm not exactly sure of who you are, although I wouldn't doubt if we have crossed paths before. One of these days we gotta meet up for a round!!
I'm out in Rolla these day. I have a couple of hours to kill on Saturdays so I try to frolf when I can, but once I drive anywhere I usually only get nine in before I have to get back and pick up my kid from band. I gotta get those kids through college/high school before I'll have time to do a three-day PDGA event.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Three Putt; 11-14-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 314
Niced 2,274 Times in 1,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I tell a dumb story about playing glow at White Birch with a guy who putted with black 150 class 86 Softies and that terrible feeling when the putt hit nothing in the dark and you had to start looking around for a black disc you never saw in flight on the ground in the dark; that guy was Dave West.
This cracks me up.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 32 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
Both options are the same time commitment.
Do you prefer 3 rounds in 3 days or 4 rounds in 3 days?
That's a great point and a phenomenal miss on my part. That in mind, I would keep the 3 rounds in 3 days format. It would feel quite wonky to have an extra round tossed in there randomly.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 255
Niced 356 Times in 178 Posts

1. Would you prefer to play 3 rounds (Fri, Sat, Sun) or 4 (Fri, Sat 1, Sat 2, Sun)
Answer: 3. If I'm an out of towner I prefer some time to do more than just DG

2. Would you prefer to play 1 course, 2 courses, or a new course each round?
Answer: New courses

3. How far are you willing to travel for an event?
Answer: I'm somewhat of a course bagger, so 9 hrs by car if the courses are good/fun

4. What would entice you to put an event (outside your home town) on your calendar?
Answer: 3.5 rated courses with a lot of fairway variation, not too many blind pins

5. What (specific) types of items do you like to see in player's packs? Tournament specific printed shirts/discs/merch.

6. Based on the events you've attended, what makes them memorable (good or bad)?
Answer: Oodles CTPs and Ring of Fire prizes.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Old 11-21-2019, 10:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 984 Times in 579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabdisc View Post
I am and AM50. I go to tournaments just for the disc golf and to hang out with disc golfers.
Sounds like you could avoid the cost, time, etc, of tournaments and just hook up with local golfers at minis, clubs, etc. Have you checked your local disc golf stores for local clubs or minis? If there isn't any, you might want to research a local pro, if there's a few local pros, chances are there's local minis where you could meet other am players, and more than likely several in your age bracket.