Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-14-2019, 08:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 704 Times in 550 Posts

I throw distance drives probably 400' on average. With the right conditions or disc I can stretch that to 450'.

I play in CO. The courses here tend to be fairly open. Not really any of the forested, tree lined holes. Accuracy still plays a huge part, but you will have more open lines on most holes.

I tend to shy away from understable molds on the course. The most understable thing I carry is a G* Shryke, and I only throw it on huge, open holes. I want the disc to fly accurately, and understable molds simply don't provide consistent accuracy.

I guess my point is, I choose discs based on consistency over sheer distance. The Shryke is the only exception, and it will easily outdistance any other driver I bag.

I'd say the Teebird, Thunderbird, Firebird, and Roc3 are pretty much the staples of my bag. All in champion plastic. Add a McPro Aviar, and I use those discs for probably 70% of my shots.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2019, 09:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,139 Times in 573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I throw distance drives probably 400' on average. With the right conditions or disc I can stretch that to 450'.
Right about where I'm at also. Haven't officially hit over 440' yet though.

DGA Hurricanes - I find this to be the sweet spot between a surge (which can get to flippy) and a force (which generally aren't workable enough)

Predator - got to have the overstable workhorse. Put them in the bag when I was throwing more in the 350' max range, and still work well for me now.

Undertaker - I still think this is one of the more underrated control/fairway drivers out there. Nice and workable across a lot of arm speeds, and lots of plastics available

Pipeline - the most understable driver I throw. I like manipulating angles more than letting the disc do all the turning. Can lock on a long hyzer flip line or will hold a turnover out to 375' or so

Squall - acts like a longer beat wasp, great for wanting to get 325' with less effort and little ground action

Comet/Wasp - self explanatory

Drone - mainly forehands, acts like a predator -50'

Steady - just a great stable putter. Holds lines out to 300' pretty easily.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:51 AM

Niced 20 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusbomb View Post
I want to like FDs but I just don't - can't put my finger on it but they just don't fly well for me. I'm bagging Teebirds and Leopards for fairways, and trying out the TL for that in-between FD-style flight.
I get where you are coming from with the FD. I love this disc but also feel like the glide can make it a little touchy sometimes.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:52 AM

Niced 20 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post
Hey I go to college in the north ATL area-we should meet up at a course sometime!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
I also live and play in that area! We should link up.
Where do y'all play normally?
Old 11-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 135 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkles View Post
Oregon Park, Etowah and then try to make it to a different one once a month or so for me.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:01 PM

Courses Played: 23
Niced 18 Times in 7 Posts

*360 average, 420 max

Putters
Overstable - R-Pro Pig
Stable - S-Line P2
Stable - JK (JC) Aviar
Understable - Pro-D Roach
Putting - Jawbreaker Roach

Mids
Overstable - Luster Withers Gator
Overstable - C-Line MD4
Stable - Cryztal Sparkle Z Buzzz
Stable - McBeth Buzzz
Understable - Luster MD
Understable - Swirly ESP Meteor

Fairways
Overstable - FAF Champ Firebird
Overstable - VIP Ahti
Overstable - '19 Sexton Firebird
Overstable - Star Thunderbird
Stable - Opto Explorer
Stable - S-Line CD2 (flat, new)
Understable - S-Line CD2 (flat)
Understable - G-Line CD2 (flat)
Understable - Champ Glow Leo3
Understable - Tournament Hatchet

Drivers
Overstable - 4x Destroyer
Stable - ESP Kong
Stable - Star Wraith
Understable - Star Tern
Old 11-15-2019, 12:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 845 Times in 575 Posts

I throw similar distances as the OP. The way I play, I require nothing overstable at all except for woods flex shots that can't be done any other way.

Putters:
Hunter/Pure/Envy

Mids:
Evidence/EMac Truth/Verdict

FDs:
Thief/FD/TBird/Thunder Bird
Sidewinder/Valk

Drivers:
Terns(3-4)/Pharaoh/Ballista Pro
Old 11-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,056 Times in 681 Posts

Quote:
Probably Etowah the most and the Oregon a lot as well. Also make the trip down to Douglasville to play Boundary, Hunter, Deerlick and Frog Rock every now and again.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 40
Niced 182 Times in 111 Posts

I probably have the most boring bag, but it works pretty well. All these distances are golf lines and reachable on hyzer or maybe a slight flip up, not open field shots.

Putters:
I don't really throw them, I have a few pro Rhynos that I putt with and one that is newer for up shots under 200 ft. Not sure about max distance but they don't go far.

Mids:
4-6 Rocs - 175+ Overstable to Understable - 06 USDGC star baby roc, 06 USDGC Champ roc, then 2-4 DX type rocs depending on the course and weather. Typically < 275 and BH only

Fairways:
4-6 Teebrids - 170+ Overstable to Understable - Usually bagging a Jen Allen or a Luster Air Force, and 2-4 champ or star teebirds depending on the weather. 250-340 BH and FH

1-3 Firebirds - 170+ Ususally a straighter 11x or Sexton, 1 Beefcake, and one normal beefy depending on the weather. 200-300 BH and FH

Distance Drivers:
2-4 Raiders - 170+ Typically have been carrying the Fuzion although I have been playing with the other plastics. I am probably going to be carryone a beefy 177 fuzion, then a 174 SE, and a 172 Bio for straighter stuff. 300-375 BH and FH.

I would guess I have owned or tried 75% of discs on the market. Seriously, I have a problem. But it has gotten me to this bag that I can take pretty much anywhere and it works for me.

Niced: (1)

Old 11-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 43 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Dude, this is like scary similar! Found my disc golf doppelganger.

I was actually using a P2 prior to finding the Reko, a star Caiman prior to the Zone, and the 2nd star wraith I carry (also most overstable) is a 171 Madison Walker.

How different are the Star Roadrunner and the Pro Wraiths in distance and flight?

I definitely like the feel of the Reko for putting, but living with these midwest winds, I prefer something a bit more stable.

As for the Star RR vs Pro Wraith, the flights *can* be pretty similar for me depending on the wind, but generally the RR is touchier. I will defer to that over the Wraith (wind allowing) when I'm focused on slowing down and hitting a particular gap, vs giving more of a full pull.