Old 11-15-2019, 02:51 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 232 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Really? My understanding is that discs are more overstable in hot weather (hot air has less density, sinse heat causes molecules to move faster and further apart). So discs behave understable in cold weather.

I think Throw, has it right.
Regardless of the science, you should expect to lose distance in the winter. Whether the effect is from your body being cold or the disc being cold or the air being cold doesn't really matter in the end.

See this reddit post

https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/co...m_medium=web2x
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by UhhNegative; 11-15-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:52 PM

Niced 20 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
If you REALLY care about the physics of it, going from hot to cold air (in terms of air density, and how that affects disc flight) is the same as going from high elevation to sea level. If you go from 100F to -20F, that's equivalent to moving from 2000' of elevation down to sea level.

In that perspective, temperature effects on air density are pretty negligible. 100F to -20F is a HUGE swing, whereas 2000' of elevation...heck, I've played disc golf holes that vary by hundreds of feet of elevation just going from tee to basket!

I agree with those who say that grip is more important in cold weather!
That's interesting to know. I was thinking more a long the lines of around a 40-50 degree difference which would be even smaller.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 303 Times in 137 Posts

I lose distance* as it gets colder so I will add some more understable discs to the bag, in grippy plastic. I would think more glide would get you more distance regardless of temperature.

*Wearing lots of layers, winter boots, cold hands, and not playing as much all add up to shorter drives, at least for me.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-15-2019, 03:12 PM

Niced 20 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Regardless of the science, you should expect to lose distance in the winter. Whether the effect is from your body being cold or the disc being cold or the air being cold doesn't really matter in the end.

See this reddit post

https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/co...m_medium=web2x
Yeah, I think most of us in general lose performance as temps approach or drop below freezing. Especially as I get older...

From that post, the elevation component seems inconsistent with the temperature and humidity. My understanding is that +Temp & +Humidity & +Elevation all = less dense air. I wonder why that post has the elevation component having a different effect on the disc stability than temp and humidity (assuming the cause of the change in stability is a change in air density).

Not to stir up another topic but does higher air density cause the center of lift on a disc to move to the back more creating the additional understability?

Would more dense air in general increase the forces on the disc and exaggerate both phases of flight making a disc more understable at high speed but more overstable at low?
Old 11-15-2019, 03:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 225 Times in 147 Posts

I think the main difference is that warm ground makes the air heat up and rise, lifting the disc with it, whereas cold ground leads to downward air flow, pushing the disc down. This is the reason I get a distance boost in early summer.

My bag doesn't change much, only white discs out and more baseline plastic.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:32 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 73 Times in 57 Posts

I'm more concerned with grip, and feel. Out goes the harder plastics that get super stiff.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,891 Times in 1,764 Posts

I notice my discs are a slightly more understable in winter.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 96
Niced 327 Times in 165 Posts

Lower air temperature, lower humidity and lower elevations all make the air denser. Hot, high humidity days here in the South sure seem to make discs a little more overstable.

Does anyone know if colder temps tend to change the shape of the disc, perhaps decreasing diameter and increasing dome slightly?

Old 11-15-2019, 05:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 85
Niced 15 Times in 5 Posts

The only things that matter for winter golf:
-no white discs if you play in snow
-use ribbons if you play in deep snow (A+ for helping pace of play)
-no throwing irreplaceable discs
-thick clothing, multiple layers, and tight muscles/tendons have 5x more impact on disc flight than temperature
-from previous point, use less stable and slightly faster discs than normal to compensate
-have fun and work on the parts of your game that need practice

Old 11-15-2019, 05:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,891 Times in 1,764 Posts

Definitely makes them stiffer and more brittle. Since they are stiffer, they warp less at the hit.