Old 11-14-2019, 10:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 1341
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 664 Times in 250 Posts

It's only legit if it happens on film. On the lead Card. Of a DGPT event. On the second Friday of the month. Within 6 hours of a solar eclipse. As far as I'm concerned nobody has ever had a legitimate ace.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:44 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 792 Times in 671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegelexercise View Post
This is another reason I opted not to even touch this teepad with my feet - I've (stupidly and selfishly) done this in the past and paid the price by falling on my ass. Seeing a patch of kind of clear ground to the side of the tee, it wasn't even a second thought to tee off from there.

I only played 3 holes on this solo session (I had a few extra minutes to burn on the way to work), and the other two holes I played had big enough sections of teepad completely exposed where the snow and ice had melted away from sun exposure the previous day.

I agree 100% though - don't be like younger me and tee off from an uncleared teepad; I've been the one to shovel them off and it's a pain in the ASS to break up caked down ice from other golfers stomping the snow down.

Also, thank you for the congratulatory words!
I have had to play on the icy tee pad. The whole lower part of a course Richmond Lake State Park disc golf course near Aberdeenpark in South Dakota had a lower section in a valley all ice or near ice hardpack so we had to stand on the tee pad no run up and throw. Also walking on that hole was bad and everyone fell at least one time on that hole including the guy playing in full foot ice spike things that slip over the shoe or they were the chain grippers that slip over the shoe, I forget what he had as it was almost 12 years ago in January 2008.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:14 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 133 Times in 50 Posts

I would call the throw described in the OP an ace.

Are there any limits though to what could be considered an ace? Lets say a player throws all of the discs in his bag on a single hole and hits an ace on his 20th throw. Is that really an ace?

Or how about an ace on a hole that's only 85 feet long. Does it count?

What about the guy that plays a round alone, not really keeping scrore, throws two drives on a couple of holes, then all of a sudden he hits an ace on his first throw on the hardest hole on the course. Count? Here's one players take on getting an unwitnessed ace:

https://flic.kr/p/2gZiGQt
Old 11-15-2019, 10:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 100
Niced 503 Times in 197 Posts

If you mark a “1” on the scorecard, it’s an ace.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-16-2019, 09:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 801 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
True of False: 99% of all aces were not intentional.
False.. I'd say more like 70 percent unintentional IME. There's always some luck involved but there's lots of times in Sunday dubs where we/ I am behind a stroke or two and you gotta make something happen. Its like pulling the goalie for an extra attacker, sometimes you just gotta run it and take some risks to get the win or just stay in the game. Especially if your partners parked, it's stiff competition 2's just won't do if someone's got more than you.

Alternatively if we have a big ace pot carryover and someone hits it you want your share, especially if your score is too bad to place in doubles or in the tourney. I hit more aces in tournaments on the second day, or second round when it's clear I'm out of the money.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 11-16-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 986 Times in 579 Posts

^^^ I'll give you that in regards to casual play, ace pots, rounds where you don't give a crap, etc, but in professional pdga tournaments, I'm sticking to the 90%.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 145
Niced 254 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
True of False: 99% of all aces were not intentional.
I have one that obviously wasn't intentional. There used to be a hole at Cold Brook Park (near Kalamazoo, MI), a short wooded one, where you could choose to skip under a tree trunk growing parallel to the ground at about head high and 75' or so from the tee, or go over it. It was a little under 200' if memory serves.

I was attempting, in 1998, to skip a Banshee off the ground under that trunk but ended up letting go of it way, way too high instead. It cleared the obstacle and slammed into the chains, right on the middle of the pole.

I was terrible at RHBH's back then. Nowadays it's the opposite.

All of my other 9 aces were exactly how I drew them up while standing on the tee, but only one of them has occurred since 2000. I'm on a 12.5-year drought, the last of which was accomplished with a 9x Gazelle.

Last edited by Central Scrutinizer; 11-16-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 145
Niced 254 Times in 113 Posts

Oh, and there's one I do indeed count that I couldn't today because of a rule change. You used to have a good hole-out if your Disc was stuck to the side of the cage, even if it didn't enter above the cage legally as defined today, so long as you retrieved it before it fell out. I remember on some rare occasions guys used to sprint up to the basket and grab their putters that had wedged in there like that and everybody would congratulate them on the good putt.

I had a Banshee stick to the outside of the cage just like when Sister Mary Elephant asked, "Young maaaan, give me that knife" in a Cheech and Chong sketch. "Shhhhhrrrr **Bldldldldld!!!**" "Thank you." I sprinted all the way from the tee and retrieved it. Legal ace in 1999 so I count it.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:22 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.6
Courses Played: 366
Niced 1,716 Times in 843 Posts

Somewhere, are people spending as much thought on what is a legit 2?

Old 11-16-2019, 08:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 1,987 Times in 1,144 Posts

Quote:
^^^ I'll give you that in regards to casual play, ace pots, rounds where you don't give a crap, etc, but in professional pdga tournaments, I'm sticking to the 90%.
i only play rec rounds and 100% of my aces were intentional

but i also only play for the kill shots