Old 11-15-2019, 06:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 314
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,274 Times in 1,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Discs will behave as if they are more overstable in colder weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I notice my discs are a slightly more understable in winter.
I have to agree with SW on this. I find discs behave more understable when it gets cold. I'm talking about a difference of 40 degrees or more.

I've never watched a disc fly on a 90+ degree day, and thought, "Wow, that disc sure acted more OS than I expected."
But I've definitely played in sub-freeing temps and thought "That turned more /earlier than I expected."

I don't seem to notice much difference in disc flight until the temps drop below freezing.
But down in the 20's discs turn more. They seem to get more "bite" in the denser air.
But I agree with what a few others have said: When it comes to winter DG, I think changing your bag up for grip, is more important than changing it up for stability. As hands get cold, champ/Z plastic tends to get slipperier than baseline, GStar, FLX, and even some Pro/X type plastic. You can always tweak release angle and other aspects of your throw to compensate for differences in stability. But it doesn't matter what you're throwing if grip is compromised.
Then again, you could swap a few discs out and achieve both.

As for altitude, when I was playing in the mountains of NC and WV, I noticed discs behave more OS.*
Discs that give me predictable turn at home weren't qetting quite as much turn in the thinner, mountain air.

*Armiller helped me track down a notable exception at Seth Burton. Forgot the exact hole # but remember it being fairly early on the back 9... had a driver turnover and sail like a kite. As I recall, there was also some griplock and headwind involved... but jeez did that disc ever stray from the intended path, and bury itself deep in the schule.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 11-15-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:46 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 452 Times in 169 Posts

It appears that anything that increases dynamic pressure:spin speed ratio (cold temperature, low altitude, headwind, and of course faster throws) tends to make discs understable.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 65
Niced 632 Times in 302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Discs will behave as if they are more overstable in colder weather. Also- flight numbers are uncalibrated nonsense.
What are you trying to imply? That a system of “measurement” with no standard as its basis is worthless? Lol!

*I feel like I’m at a players meeting and Gawler just said something asinine.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-16-2019, 07:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 212
Niced 286 Times in 170 Posts

I have two complete bags -- one for spring/summer/fall, and one for winter, however short it is in Texas. The difference in glide, grip, etc.

Primarily, though I have the same discs in different plastics (more "grippable) in each.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:49 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 791 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkles View Post
I was thinking about how the denser air creates more lift and drag on a disc and whether I should look at using something with less glide than my FDs and Wraiths in winter. Maybe replacing Wraiths with Orcs for example.

Does anyone change their bag for winter vs summer?
No I do not change my bag in winter but I do compensate for the increased wind In my area when I do happen to play in winter, I just use a few molds that are more OS or a more OS version of a disc like my almost flat top Star Valkyrie rather then my glow Champion, use an ESP XL over my Z Stalker. I keep those disc in year round as high wind seems to be an possible issue where I live but in true winter weather high winds seem more common then any time of the year. I keep those discs for the grip and the wind over other molds I use in non winter weather. If I loose the ESP XL that is fine I would need to, but the almost flat top Star Valkyrie I would have to replace. Also use a taller dome Champion Destroyer that is 170 grams instead of my 167 gram lower dome Champion Destroyer in the high winds that are more common in winter.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.9
Courses Played: 60
Niced 372 Times in 206 Posts

I’m late to the party, but I want more glide in the winter time often as a play my round expecting standstill or ‘one step plant’ upshots. I lean towards minimalist, for me Meteor (vs rocs) and long fade (vs teebirds) get subbedflr shots/bagged in for the often condition factor.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:55 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 413
Niced 108 Times in 60 Posts

As has been said numerous times already, grip is probably the number one concern. It's one thing if it's just cold out. But if it's cold AND there's snow on the ground then champ/opto/Z plastic is awful. These are my favorite types of plastic in warm weather by far. I have pretty much zero issue with these in the rain either. But they are so slick and stiff in snow that they're practically useless for me. G star is the best in snow, otherwise I never use it. Star/gold/ESP is so much better. Also I agree that discs seem to fly more understable in the cold.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:26 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 240 Times in 160 Posts

Between the soggy or icy ground depending where you live. Colder stiffer muscles / hands, I always lose distance in the winter with the poor footing and slipping going on. I usually find myself discing down and getting more understable discs out to makeup for the lack of legs I can get into the shot.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:06 PM

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 38
Niced 39 Times in 15 Posts

How would a disc fly in a vacuum? Would it quickly drop because there's no air holding it up, or would it fly further because there's no friction? I don't mean the void of space where there's no air and no gravity, I mean: normal gravity but no air. Not saying this could or would ever be done, just considering the extreme to better understand the effects of air density on disc flight. Aerodynamics would be irrelevant of course, so what would happen?

Old 11-18-2019, 03:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 314
Niced 2,274 Times in 1,124 Posts

Pretty sure with no air to provide lift, assuming Earth's gravity, it will basically behave about the same as a baseball. Becomes a more typical physics 101 type of projectile motion equation.

Discs would'nt go as far in a vacuum if assuming gravity is the same.

Niced: (1)