Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 791 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todvan View Post
Disc flight theory question:

Given that both discs are thrown correctly with proper nose angle at a medium power.

What flies further:

A stable disc but slower disc (say speed 7, turn 0) that gets up to proper flying speed with medium power.

-or-

An under stable but faster disc (say speed 11, turn -2) that may not be at full speed so it has just a bit of flip, but mostly goes straight at the same power.

Example: Teebird at proper speed vs Beast slightly underpowered. Just curious. Right now speed 9 is about my power level, but wondering if an under stable speed 11 or 12 would give me mor distance....thanks!
For me it is the 9-10 speed slight US disc (think Valkyrie) that gives the most distance backhand, the 11 or 12 speed disc is about the max for distance disc I can use due to my arm length being really short and my very small size. I can use US longer discs 11 and 12 speed discs but they are too touchy as I am not able to put 90%-95% of power on the disc so I get OS 11 and 12 speed discs that can use 100% of power more easily.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Casey 1988; 11-18-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:20 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 455 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Sounds like you have low rotational speed.
I don’t think its horribly low, by overstable I’m talking beat thunderbird not like max weight firebird. I just mean I can’t really crank on a Valkyrie forehand. Maybe that is bad, idk. Honestly comparing with a lot that I see on here I’d say my problem is more that my backhand sucks, seems like my forehand is average to slightly above for a rec player.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 134 Times in 74 Posts

Here’s the thing,just because the faster disc is understable doesn’t mean you’re getting more distance out of it precisely because you can’t get it up to speed. The speed requirement between a speed 7 and speed 12 is pretty significant. If you’re getting the speed 12 to flip, then you’re obviously getting up to speed which means you’re already throwing it better than the speed 7. The understable disc will not flip if you throw at the same speed as a stable speed 7, something isn’t entirely making sense with your question.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:39 PM

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

So, if I am more specific, I will say that the top drivers right now in my bag are all speed 9:

Champ Thunderbird is stable to over stable, Orion LF is stable, Discraft Heat and Roadrunner are understable and longest flight on a Hyzer flip line.

Just wondering, before buying discs that aren’t right for me, will I get any more distance by going up in speed to something that maybe will need me to anhyzer release to get it to hold a line like a Shryke or a Thrasher?
Old 11-19-2019, 01:59 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 62 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
So, if I am more specific, I will say that the top drivers right now in my bag are all speed 9:

Champ Thunderbird is stable to over stable, Orion LF is stable, Discraft Heat and Roadrunner are understable and longest flight on a Hyzer flip line.

Just wondering, before buying discs that aren’t right for me, will I get any more distance by going up in speed to something that maybe will need me to anhyzer release to get it to hold a line like a Shryke or a Thrasher?
Here is my experience as a guy who can throw 375' max (350' the norm) on a calm day over a soccer field. My Z Thrasher will most consistently be the longest disc I throw. My Escape, Saint, and Fission Tesla (all 9 speeds) can get out there too, but wind messes with them more because they depend on glide.

Nonetheless, I tend to reach for my Volt these days because it is the fastest disc I can actually get up to speed. Like having the greater control and predictability.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,508 Times in 862 Posts

I can get a Heat or Roadrunner out to 350ft . . but i feel that it is easier and more consistent for me to get a Shryke out "that far"

I have more room for error with the Shryke. .all i need to do is throw it flat or close to flat ..

With the Heat/Roadrunner i need to hit that exakt hyzer angle. . to little and it never flips up, to much and it turns to the ground.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,508 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
I can get a Heat or Roadrunner out to 350ft . . but i feel that it is easier and more consistent for me to get a Shryke out "that far"

I have more room for error with the Shryke. .all i need to do is throw it flat or close to flat ..

With the Heat/Roadrunner i need to hit that exakt hyzer angle. . to little and it never flips up, to much and it turns to the ground.
I HATE that you can´t edit your own post here. . .i got that wrong..it should be
"to much and it never flips up, to little and it turns to the ground"
Old 11-19-2019, 11:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 706 Times in 552 Posts

Quote:

A Shryke or Thrasher will NOT need an anny release to achieve a distance line. Both of those discs are fairly fast, but they're also understable enough that they don't take a ton of arm to get up to speed.

If you want to buy an experimental fast disc to mess with, try a star Tern. Its speed 12, but is fairly easy to throw far. I'd say pretty much the same thing about the Shryke.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 27
Niced 458 Times in 281 Posts

Between the two discs you're asking about (speed 7/turn 0 vs speed 11/turn -2), the faster disc will go further but will be more effected by the wind.
I agree with previous posters that your max distance disc will probably be something in the Sidewinder/Hatchet/Roadrunner stability – something in the speed 9/turn -2 range. If you’re purely just looking for max distance while you learn to develop your power, then that’s the answer.
But, if you’re looking for something that will be most useful to pair with a speed 7/turn 0 disc, and something that will be a staple of your bag forever, then instead I’d look at something like an FD (speed 7/turn -1) or Stag (speed 8/turn -1). Personally I bag Stags for this disc type, but FDs are fantastic as well. Other people prefer Leopards for this slot but I find the rim awkwardly small. Regardless of whether you go Stag/FD/Leopard, it will get you much more distance than a Teebird and will get you almost as much distance as a Roadrunner or Hatchet. As your power grows, this will become your hyzerflip disc. And for downhill shots, this may even be your longest flying disc, period. A fresh Stag easily flies 380’+ on a frozen rope on downhill shots…just not in a head or cross wind.

Niced: (1)

Old 11-19-2019, 01:53 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 41 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Disc flight theory question:

Example: Teebird at proper speed vs Beast slightly underpowered. Just curious. Right now speed 9 is about my power level, but wondering if an under stable speed 11 or 12 would give me mor distance....thanks!
I went through this exact predicament this season. Finally got to the point where I was throwing speed 9 discs with some consistency (Sidewinders and CD2s), so I wanted to see if I could add a disc that would get me a bit more distance on wide open shots.

I started with an Orbital (11/5/-4/1) and it quickly became uselessly understable even at my arm speed. I moved on to a Mystere (11/5/-3/2) and hated how shallow the rim was - got no consistent releases. Then tried an Aries (11/5/-3/1), which flew nice, but I had the same issues with the shallow rim and inconsistent releases. Lastly, I tried a Mamba. It was better, but still shallow enough that I never felt confident with it in my hand.

It seemed like that was a common theme with fast, understable discs, so FINALLY I decided to try a Pro Wraith at 163g. Initially I didn't get any extra distance compared to my Sidewinder, but it flew the same distance on a straight to hyzer line vs an S line. After using it a bit the glide improved and it started holding an anhyzer longer. At that point it started getting me an extra 25-30 feet.

Moral of the story in my opinion? Try a neutral disc in a lighter weight and/or plastic like Pro. The lighter weight will be more affected by the wind, but if it's windy enough you probably want to stick with something you have more control over anyway. Hopefully you don't have to waste as much time as I did finding the disc that works for you!