Voters: 407. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yay!

I love the "ball" reference...never knew exactly how to describe it, but that nails it.

Had a DX forever, and just picked up a Star this fall. Being off-white, I felt it was the perfect canvas to improve on Innova's DX stamp.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default ....

The gator is a good compliment approach/short mid-range disc. This wont be your primary approach disc, but it will be "the other disc" that you cant live without.

For me, its a very good over stable disc. It's very wind resistant. I use it when i need a disc to stay on the ground, wind could be a problem, i need more of a hook than my roc, or i need more distance than my gummy rhyno. there are many rounds where i never use it, but there are some where it seems that it gets more use than my roc.

In recent weeks i've also discovered that it is one of the best sidearm discs in this same range. It has very good control. I am not a sidearm guy, but when the occasion rises, i have no doubts in my gator. In a practice field, i've thrown this disc (around) 300' with perfect accuracy, and little fade.

For me, there is some overlap with this disc and a Rhyno, but this is it's bigger brother. The rhyno is a short range approach and putter compliment where the Gator is the Roc compliment.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Ah but the beauty is that they don't glide well. It's very difficult for them to overshoot the pin.
I had both the Pig and the Gator. I found them a bit too extreme for my liking. I do like the Rhyno, still overstable, but not so much. I also like the Drone, again, overstable, but a bit more glide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Is one of yours the one I am ranting about? I can never remember who I traded with, there are so many.
I think it was. That Gator had less glide than the Drone that I kept. Don't know about DX or other beaded models.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 21
Niced 85 Times in 23 Posts

that crocostimpy dye is f*cking AWESOME
Old 12-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 17
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love it, I have DX plastic also, but have been wanting to pick up a star or a CFR if I can find one. It's one of my only discs that actually goes where I want it to and sticks.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 35
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by truk View Post
Yay!

1) You F***ing rock for this dye.

2) I have a star gator that I think is really awesome. I don't really have a place for it in my bag. I don't know what to do with it in my typical game...but it's a REALLY awesome disc.

I honestly see me putting this is in my bag down the road, I always consider it when changing things up.

\/\/
Old 12-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 16
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsw_03 View Post
I have a CFR Gator, which is the beaded version in Champ plastic. It is the only variety of Gator I have thrown, and I love it. It's been in my bag for over a year and is nearly as stable as the day I bought it. Money for windy approaches that don't need quite the distance of an overstable midrange, forehand approaches (as mentioned previously in another post), and out of trouble shots. I've been meaning to get a few more for backups but mine never seems to beat in so I have very little motivation (similar to the CE plastic dilemma ).
I have not tried one but a I know a few guys who love these.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 1085
Niced 68 Times in 32 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140

I have a star gator and it should just be called the brick or the load. It flies nice and straight (will not turn over) but then sits right down. Thrown too weakly and it will slide hard left on you, but I try to make it hit the ground before doing that unless I have to get around something in front of me.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a Star Gator and it is definitely my go to mid on windy days or when I need something I know won't flip. Even after not throwing it for weeks at a time I can always put it were I want it. Definitely not a distance mid though, this thing has no glide and usually digs into the ground nicely and stops.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 18
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I bought that disc for two purposes. When I am stuck in the trees and need to get out with a big hyzer, and for just short holes on windy days where I can just throw it really hard and not have it turn over. I love the disc, I don't use it very often but it is a great rescue disc and one of the only midranges that I can hold with a power grip.