Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 12-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Exclamation Is there a quick and easy way to learn to throw a roller

I am somewhat a beginner to disc golf. My drives range from 220 to 300 feet pretty consistantly. I've entered my first tourney and some of the holes are very long (450 to 700 feet). I heard that if I learned to throw a roller it should get me some extra distance. I've been practicing some of the stuff I find on the internet but with no real results. If I don't get it down I'll just play my norm game ( read to that on a diff forum...love this sight ). Any help will be put to good use.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

if you anhyzer a really understable disc (monarch, roadrunner, etc) you should be able to get it to turn up and land on it's edge and roll...
Old 12-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 81
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rolling can get you some extra distance, but if you don't have the time to work out the kinks in your rollers, I'd stick with what you know. Depending on how the hole is laid out, a poorly-thrown roller can get you into more trouble than coming up short with an air-shot.

Personally, I like to throw understable discs with anhyzer (like mentioned above) for my rollers, but you can roll almost any disc...you just have to get out in a field and test them to find the right combination of anhyzer angle + power it takes to get each particular disc to roll well. A few things that helped me out when I was learning rollers was to lean your body back a little and to adjust your grip so that the edge of the disc is sitting closer to the base of your fingers (as opposed to sitting in the crease of your palm). It'll also help to focus on following-through after your drive...this should help you maintain your anhyzer angle longer. These are things that have worked for me, but the best advice I could give anyone is to just grab some discs and hit the practice field.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:03 PM

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 17
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got a great tip for this last weekend.

"Try to snap your wrist towards the ground a bit, right before the release of the disc."
Old 12-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 97
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

..find your lightest most beat up disc & throw it hard. It should flip & roll like a mad dog!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 56
Niced 53 Times in 32 Posts

if you're having trouble throwing a roller, I think one thing might help you get started. Instead of trying to roll with an understable driver, why don't you go get an understable mid-range, such as Innova's Stingray or Discraft's Stratus. These are both good, high-turning discs that will flip easier than most drivers. Also, changing your form might help out. if you make your release point higher, that will usually force you to throw the disc with the wign a little higher. The roller throw is similar to an anhyzer throw, but you want to find the disc that flips over too much and becomes a roller.

If you have anyway to film yourself and post it on here or youtube, that would help others see what you're doing and what you might need to correct.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 254
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyP View Post
A few things that helped me out when I was learning rollers was to lean your body back a little...
This advice was also given to me and helps. Just to clarify: make sure your upper body is leaning back when you release the disc, not just on the approach.

ERic
Old 12-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 97
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

How many rollers do I throw in a game? Hmmmmm, None! They are too unpredictable. Rollers have their place but rarely for long drives. Keep throwing straight 200-300' drives. Work on your technique & they will be 300-400' & so on. Disc Golf Rules!!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 81
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaZaun View Post
My drives range from 220 to 300 feet pretty consistantly.
Is this a triple oxymoron?

Honestly if you can't thow over 300' you probably don't have the technique to put the kind of power on a disc to turn it over enough for it to roll. Try the Scott Stokely distance secrets DVD. It will give you some good basic techniques and you will almost imediately start turning over your understable discs.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 16
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I assume you have seen the Innova throw charts, but if you havn't here is the link http://www.innovadiscs.com/downloads...ollerchart.pdf. For learning purposes I would use a Stingray or a beat Stratus like stated.