Old 09-06-2018, 10:45 AM
Par Member

Niced 26 Times in 24 Posts

Here’s last nights results. It’s going to take some time to get out of this leaning tower of disc golf mess. I noticed that even in my starting position I had ingrained into my muscle memory to stand tilted to the left.

The first few times I was making the adjustments I was releasing right but felt more effortless and balanced.

I also messed around with the x step to see if weight shift is easier to feel, maybe jumping the gun a bit as it’s hard as hell to time everything. Ive never put any time into practicing this though.

Not sure how to link YouTube so that the player shows up (on mobile) sorry!

https://youtu.be/1S2WUqiyZyI

https://youtu.be/-C3fuMf7uQY

X step;

https://youtu.be/QRjS2MkcRI8
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2018, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

Can you get a behind view next time? I 100% understand when you say it's ingrained into your form...another way to look at it is maybe you are set up/balanced so that is what has to happen. I see how you are over your rear foot's toes in the standstill shots and maybe think you aren't stacked enough over the rear leg. If you aren't centered over the foot then it's easy to collapse back which looks like a tilt, rather than turn back centered over the hip.

If your goal is to transition to an X-step in the future, I would practice the arm pump forward and working around the disc with your body. Even indoors just to get that motion feeling normal and effortless so it's not just something you try a few times when you're out throwing. I was 100% standstill for a good 6 months at one point and I wish I would have kept doing more X-steps. It took me a few months for the X-step to just get to the same distance and consistency as my standstill before I felt it added distance. Even though my balance isn't right now, the X-step adds a bit more distance at the same perceived effort, but it mostly helps you have a consistent tempo with the loading stage of the throw as well as keeping your momentum moving toward the target. So in some aspects it's trickier as there's more movement, but in others it can help have less left/right shanks I've found.

I would maybe try the open closed shots that SW shows at the end of this video. You'll need to be centered over the rear foot to be in balance.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,884 Times in 1,762 Posts

You need to really turn much further back upright through the hips. You are leaning/tipping instead of turning. You are picking up your front foot to counterbalance in the backswing instead of the backswing/turn pulling it up off the ground. Watch all the vids posted before and:

Old 09-06-2018, 01:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,884 Times in 1,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
wow.

I have some work to do. Mr. Sidewinder22 I believe you would enjoy my OTHER Youtube channel... You should discover Mike Austin and this compound pivot golf swing.
I take you are Citysmasher 2. I've not really got into Mike Austin, will check it out for sure. I am big fan of Hogan, Nicklaus, and Greg Norman footwork, definitely learned a lot from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
I have a wall drill myself. I place my forehead on the wall and run my lower arm down the wall in the pull and maintain it as long as I can. This may be one of the best power/accuracy keys in the game. The lower arm is the pointer to the target and the longer you can maintain the "rail" the better the power pocket.
Similar to the Inside Swing Drill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio&t=6m5s
Old 09-06-2018, 01:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You need to really turn much further back upright through the hips. You are leaning/tipping instead of turning. You are picking up your front foot to counterbalance in the backswing instead of the backswing/turn pulling it up off the ground. Watch all the vids posted before and:
I'm still not there, but I've noticed big improvements from the open closed drill to feel like it's ok to be over your entire rear foot, and the kick the ball feel in the leg backswing to note how your torso feels balanced. I was too far over my rear toes before so it was impossible to turn back in balance rather than tilt, and the kick the ball leg swing really helps to exaggerate the upright balance of the upper body and how you feel moving forward afterwards.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Par Member

SW, never thought of the backswing pulling my front foot off the floor. Will give that a go after work tonight.

SP I’ll carry on with the x step movement on off days. Like yourself, I’ve only thrown one step for over a year now. Going to take some time to correct things. And then using all my concentration to change one thing often leads to other things going to s#%!!
Old 09-06-2018, 02:01 PM
Par Member

Hey all of a sudden , the heavydisc two way tug of war translates allt better to me.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-06-2018, 04:11 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 375 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I take you are Citysmasher 2. I've not really got into Mike Austin, will check it out for sure. I am big fan of Hogan, Nicklaus, and Greg Norman footwork, definitely learned a lot from them.

Similar to the Inside Swing Drill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio&t=6m5s
Yes. I am.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Birdie Member

Mike Austin defined the "compound pivot" which is the most powerful pivot in golf and is as natural as walking (which is the way everyone used to swing before all this "connected to the ground" bull****). If you want to see a Mike Austin pivot see Justin Thomas. That internal rear hip rotation demonstrated by Shawn Clement is DEATH, its weird and unnatural and Tiger is doing it right now and he gets stuck every other swing with his driver (I am not a fan of this move at all). I spent almost two years in rehab fixing my right hip from too much of that internal rotation, and I still have permanent never damage from it (that and getting jammed throwing discs). Watch Tiger from his youth when he won the Masters by 14 strokes. That was his swing from his first teacher before Butch Harmon, John Anselmo> John had a stroke in 1996 and Harmon jumped and took all the credit for Tiger's swing, and then proceeded to DESTROY it. John Anselmo was a friend of Mike Austins.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Birdie Member

I throw my one step the same as I always have, I call it "throwing from the stretch backhand". I visibly lift my lead leg.