Old 09-06-2018, 04:35 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 375 Times in 139 Posts

All of those drills are for a crazy hyser or a Feldberg like pull. Try doing that hammer drill pulling flat across the chest... haha
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2018, 05:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 314 Times in 190 Posts

Sidewinder, maybe you need a Mike Austin skeleton suit.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-06-2018, 05:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,881 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
That internal rear hip rotation demonstrated by Shawn Clement is DEATH, its weird and unnatural and Tiger is doing it right now and he gets stuck every other swing with his driver (I am not a fan of this move at all). I spent almost two years in rehab fixing my right hip from too much of that internal rotation, and I still have permanent never damage from it (that and getting jammed throwing discs).
I'm not sure what you are referring to with SC's rear internal hip rotation being weird and unnatural. To me everything he teaches is completely natural just like walking like you said. His Best Downswing Weightshift and Best Lower Body Backswing videos are basically the only reason I am still playing disc golf today after a nasty lower back injury.

I'd suspect your rear hip injury happened because of improper weightshift/sequence and posture/balance rather than the mechanics.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,881 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
All of those drills are for a crazy hyser or a Feldberg like pull. Try doing that hammer drill pulling flat across the chest... haha
It is relatively "flat" swing across the chest, the spine is tilted forward. Doesn't make any sense to try and toss a hammer or disc far without upward trajectory.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:38 AM
Par Member

Niced 26 Times in 24 Posts

field tonight only managed to get 30 mins in but tried some two way tug of war and windmill drills. certainly felt more up right, looks better in video but other things just went to crap as i focused on rotating the hips back. I will have a good little study session after work tomorrow on those videos SW a few I havent seen before. I'm a little confused with these conflicting opinions guys! (also i know theres lots of hugging/rounding going on, trying to fix one thing at a time)

https://youtu.be/qX5nSdrmxeU

https://youtu.be/qaDVZ2HZn_A

Last edited by Parbequeue; 09-07-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

The windmill throw is much better than the foot lift throw to me. In the foot lift one, you pull the disc back, raise the leg, and are at max hip load. You then fall forward while still fully extended, and start to rotate before the front leg touches the ground. You can see your rear foot rotates on axis...heel up toes down, not transferring any weight. You seem to lead the throw with the head/shoulders/upper spine rather than shifting the weight to the plant leg and then rotating from clearing the hips.

In both throws though it looks like you try to push/jam your upper body ahead. The hugging/rounding is likely hard to avoid because if you push the upper body forward the arm will get dragged/collapsed back, rather than moving your whole body mass forward together in a weight shift.

This video has been posted already in the thread, but it will emphasize how it feels to land on the front leg butt first, and how to keep the head inside of your stance. Basically feeling like you're landing closed on the plant leg, and then once you figure out how to be on the hip rather than collapsing into it, which has a lot to do with left/right balance on the teepad as well, the lower body should clear out of the way pretty effortlessly once the foot is down to initiate the throw.

Last edited by slowplastic; 09-07-2018 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
front leg touches the ground. You can see your rear foot rotates on axis...heel up toes down, not transferring any weight. You seem to lead the throw with the head/shoulders/upper spine rather than shifting the weight to the plant leg and then rotating from clearing the

This is where I’m getting confused. In many posts and videos it’s constantly implied to “get the heel up get the heel up!” - what is actually meant by this
Old 09-07-2018, 09:29 AM
Par Member

SP, are you saying that the rear leg plants in the back swing and the hips rotate over it (no foot spinning), then the plant leg comes down leading with butt THEN forward swing? Also, when I try to get off my rear foot completely I end up tweaking my back/pulling something. Why is this?
Old 09-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 375 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I'd suspect your rear hip injury happened because of improper weightshift/sequence and posture/balance rather than the mechanics.

You need to learn the difference between internal hip rotation and external hip rotation.

Hogan turned into a internally rotating hip (modern stack and tilt). Which is where that massive secondary tilt angle comes from ala Shawn Clemente.

Nicklaus SHIFTED into an externally rotated hip (as does Colin Montgomery, Justin Thomas, Ernie Els, Freddy Couples, and just about every good player from the 1970s and 1960s, etc etc). This is what Mike Austin taught (he did not invent it he simply explained it better) and is infinitely more natural than making your hip collapse behind you. In fact your hips do not "turn" they shift and rotate externally as a result. External rotation is what a good looking woman does when she walks. The hip is pushed outward and the huge muscles on the outside of the hip joint are lengthened and head is steady, which makes the lower body swing like a hammer in a bell right and left. This allows the weight shift from one foot to the the other and the head never move. This is the most natural way to use your hips, and in ball golf allows for a massive counterbalance downswing that can literally lift you off the ground (see Justin Thomas who is pound for pound the longest hitter on tour).

No, I know exactly where my hip and spine problems came from...

Old 09-07-2018, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
This is where I’m getting confused. In many posts and videos it’s constantly implied to “get the heel up get the heel up!” - what is actually meant by this
You have to leave the ground heel first, off the instep, toes last. The goal is to move your weight forward, so the rear knee moves forward under the rear hip and your mass moves ahead. Opposed to simply rotating heel up/toe down where the leg's location doesn't change, but just spins on its own axis.

Think walking forward, where your heel leaves the ground first, vs. doing the twist. Heel is up and leg is spinning, but he's not moving forward.

In a baseball swing the improper technique can be taught as "squishing the bug"...horrible advice since it can be interpreted as turning your heel up and toes down to squish the bug. Having that toe down result in a picture is from shifting your weight, it's not the goal.

This video shows it more effectively...