Old 08-26-2019, 08:48 PM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Longest drives go right

I find that my longest drives are always ending up to the right. Rhbh. Straight drives are usually shorter. I have no problem throwing straight but those drives are not as long. I do make sure my final step on the right foot is to the left of the left foot. If I could get the drives to the right to go the same distance only straight it would be great. Any suggestions for technique change?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2019, 10:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 2
Niced 447 Times in 325 Posts

What discs are you throwing and how far are you throwing them?
Old 08-26-2019, 10:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 317 Times in 192 Posts

There are discs you could choose or short cuts to take to get your disc to go where you want it. But if your into playing for the long haul you'll want to fix the problem. Removing the dash light won't fix your engine.

HyzerUnibomber (HUB) has a website from a few years back which is a good place to start. He has a great narrative of his trials and tribulations in working on form with good insights and advice. This is for the "Form Crash Course". http://www.heavydisc.com/p/the-form-crash-course.html.

Over on the Technique and Strategy Forum https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...isplay.php?f=4 you'll find some threads on particular aspects of throwing. Here is a resource for Instructional Videos https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=119328.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:12 PM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm practicing with Aviar3 throwing it normally 150 but the ones to the right go another 30. I don't have trouble throwing where I want it to go. The question is why the ones to the right go further. And is there something I can do to make the straight ones go as far. THanks!
Old 08-26-2019, 11:28 PM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Great videos too. I'm anxious to try some of those tips.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:35 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 225 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpack1 View Post
I'm practicing with Aviar3 throwing it normally 150 but the ones to the right go another 30. I don't have trouble throwing where I want it to go. The question is why the ones to the right go further. And is there something I can do to make the straight ones go as far. THanks!
Discs fly far (considering same throwing velocity, spin and nose angle) if they fly more time in a horizonal angle. There are two flight lines to achieve this: hyzer flips and flex shots. See here: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ncelines.shtml
The articles surrounding that one are worthwhile as well.

Throwing with more velocity makes disc flights more understable, thus resulting in more turn (i.e. leaking to the right for RHBH).

It might be that you throw the farther throws with more velocity, thus letting it go farther but also leading to more turn, which makes the discs travel right. You could react on this by throwing with more hyzer angle (i.e. throwing a hyzer flip). Then it'll go straight. Or you throw a disc with less turn or more fade, then it'll go more straight too (i.e. throwing a flex shot or a straight shot). But in both cases if you throw with less velocity, then your disc will not turn as much but fade more, thus landing more left.

Release angle of the disc combined with the throwing velocity are your possibilities to control the lateral movement.

Or you could use a disc with different speed/turn/fade ... but rather you should understand how these factors effect the flight and learn how to control them. This will do you much good in the future.

Although the following videos have their limitations and I would not recommend them to advanced players as they oversimplify, they are a good introduction to the topic: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVc...HLsVaJw/videos
You should watch them to understand all those terms and the physical factors of the disc flight.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:29 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 634 Times in 282 Posts

DUDE.

Whenever a disc *always* finishes right, you need to start throwing a hyzerflip with it.

One of my good buddies was having a really frustrating round on my card last week, and was turning over his driver every time. I told him to throw it on a hyzer and let that understability do the work. He did it, the disc flipped up flat, flew all sexy-like and plopped down right where he wanted, albeit 40’ past his normal distance. His jaw hit the ground lol it was all high fives after that!
Old 08-27-2019, 11:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts

150', with further distance going right sounds a lot like rounding problems with slight grip lock throws where there is actually better acceleration and rip of the disc out of the hand on those throws.

Visit the form critique section. See the PSA on filming yourself and do that. It really is the only way to get answers on what may or may not actually be happening with your throw.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-28-2019, 11:54 AM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Thanks for the help everyone. I have a lot of work to do to go through it all. I agree there is better acceleration and rip on the drives I'm talking about.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpack1 View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. I have a lot of work to do to go through it all. I agree there is better acceleration and rip on the drives I'm talking about.
Will Shuesterick once described his drive as a controlled grip lock. I think that mindset comes from how with what we call a grip lock the arm is really doing a great job whipping around and accelerating and the disc really rips out. For many people these are their only throws where the disc does actually rip out of their hand and they get to see the potential they have.

NOW... the complicated part is using this information and controlling or harnessing this to also be accurate. That comes from identifying YOUR particular form break downs, which can only be done through video analysis really.

When I was brand new on this site, playing a couple months and struggling with this stuff I wanted to get answers to "when the disc does this, what am I doing and what do I need to do to correct it?" I was frustrated because I felt the answers were incomplete or cryptic, but the reality is there are a lot of different glaring issues and some subtle issues that can lead to similar end results. Which one of those things could be happening may only be recognizable by someone pointing it out on video.

Niced: (1)