Old 09-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,207 Times in 1,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
McBeth ought to shut his damn mouth. He wasn't there, we don't need his uninformed opinion.
Disagree. McBeth's comments seemed to be more general that just this one tournament, and McBeth is lending his voice to try to increase the quality of Disc Golf tournaments and Disc Golf in general.. If the complaints about the Selinske Masters are valid, then it's all the more important to speak out to try to get improvements in tournaments and the sport.

This reminds me of Bobby Fischer in the 1960s. He was vilified for demanding better conditions and pay in professional chess events, but the changes he created still benefit Chess and pro chessplayers to this day.

If you (plural) want to 'grow the sport' of Disc Golf, and want PPV to succeed for Disc Golf, y'all should welcome Paul McBeth's comments, not curse him for his efforts to make things better.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 139
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,004 Times in 436 Posts

All that post accomplished was once again proving why a large majority of tournament directors don't want to run anything with pros, especially on the games highest level.

I'm sure, as with every event in disc golf, there some things that could have been better, cleaner, etc, but a majority of the complaints were complete ignorance from never being involved with a high level event and / or over expectations beyond a standard that was met.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,829 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Disagree. McBeth's comments seemed to be more general that just this one tournament, and McBeth is lending his voice to try to increase the quality of Disc Golf tournaments and Disc Golf in general.. If the complaints about the Selinske Masters are valid, then it's all the more important to speak out to try to get improvements in tournaments and the sport.

This reminds me of Bobby Fischer in the 1960s. He was vilified for demanding better conditions and pay in professional chess events, but the changes he created still benefit Chess and pro chessplayers to this day.

If you (plural) want to 'grow the sport' of Disc Golf, and want PPV to succeed for Disc Golf, y'all should welcome Paul McBeth's comments, not curse him for his efforts to make things better.
Except Paul's comments weren't constructive at all and they were ill-informed as well. He wasn't there. He is going off second-hand complaints to make third-hand comments. It's not helpful in the least. It's like if Rory McIlroy chimed in about some aspect of the US Senior Open. He's not playing the event, he's not even eligible to play, I find it irrelevant what he has to say about it.

I don't know what McBeth's definition of smoothly is, but having been at the tournament, I thought things ran as smoothly as any other big event I've attended. Tee times were right on time until late in the day Sunday (my 2:20 tee time started at 2:25, but hole 1 gold is a ****ing bitch to start on). There were minor delays on Saturday relative to the planned schedule, but how many tournaments hit their marks perfectly when it comes to turning around for round 2? The first round teed off at exactly 8am. The second round was on the schedule for 11:30 and went off at 11:45. The third round of the day was scheduled for 3:00 and went off at 3:20.

And all along, communication was perfect and everyone was kept informed of whatever minor adjustments were made. Not only that, but the shotgun start schedule and the course assignments were known MONTHS in advance, so it's not as though it should have been a surprise thing that players were unprepared for. Anyone upset about having to get in their car after the first round of the day and drive 12 minutes up the road for round two, or that the break wasn't long enough (it was an hour), are fools.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,348 Times in 1,816 Posts

Most touring pros are just the worst.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Niced 1,717 Times in 558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
McBeth ought to shut his damn mouth. He wasn't there, we don't need his uninformed opinion.

The only people bitching were the so-called elites, spoiled by the extra attention that the MPO/FPO majors (and NTs and DGPTs) tend to get. The event wasn't at the level of an MPO major to be certain, but it felt pretty damn big and important to me, a player who doesn't often get to such events.
Interesting to see this after MJ's post.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 79
Niced 113 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeButch View Post
this.

USDGC, Worlds, European Open. that should be it.

too many majors and WAY too many divisions these days. everyone's a winner/participation trophy culture.
I don't want to make our sport more like ball golf, but for majors they have it right. I like the idea of having 4 majors:

USDGC - Always at the same course
Worlds - As the sport grows can be held anywhere in the world
European open - Can be held anywhere in Europe
a 4th major - something that rotates around the US/North America to start with but any country can bid on it (we are years away from needing more than one major outside the US)

Old 09-09-2019, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,144 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Most touring pros are just the worst.
Nah... some are great to deal with, most are fine to deal with, and a vocal minority are a total pain in the ass- same as most people.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 903 Times in 400 Posts

Honest question, because I don't know the history of the event:

Does the US Masters get less attention now that Pro Masters Worlds is a separate event from MPO/FPO Worlds? Seems like it would make sense, since the US Masters may no longer be seen as THE premier Masters-only event of the year.

So maybe that downgrade in status is a contributing factor, if the US Masters isn't living up to [certain players'] expectations.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,348 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Nah... some are great to deal with, most are fine to deal with, and a vocal minority are a total pain in the ass- same as most people.
Fair enough...I guess the vocal minority just make most of them look like divas

Old 09-09-2019, 02:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Niced 3,829 Times in 1,580 Posts

Before this thread gets hijacked into the 1043rd rendition of the "what I think majors should be" discussion, something needs to be made clear. Every time this discussion comes up, the arguments tend to discount any major that doesn't involve MPO as not a "real" major, which is a faulty premise to start from. So let's be clear whether we're talking MPO only or majors across all ages and genders.

This year...
there are 3 MPO majors: Worlds, USDGC, European Open
there are 3 FPO majors: Worlds, USWDGC, European Open
there are 2 Pro age-protected majors: Worlds, Selinske
there are 3 Amateur (MA1/FA1) majors: Am Worlds, USADGC/USWDGC, Am World Doubles
there are 3 Amateur age-protected majors: Am Worlds, Selinske, Am World Doubles
there is 1 Junior major: Jr Worlds

Using ball golf as a comparison

Four majors for their equivalent of MPO: US Open, British Open, PGA Championship, The Masters
Five majors for their equivalent of FPO: US Women's Open, British Women's Open, LPGA Championship, ANA Inspiration, Evian Championship
Five majors for their age-protected tour (50+): US Senior Open, British Senior Open, Senior PGA Championship, Senior Players Championship, The Tradition
Also major championships for amateurs: US Amateur, US Amateur 4-ball, US Mid-Amateurs (with variations for Seniors, Juniors, and Women) Plus amateur versions of the British Open as well.

Do we really have "too many"?

Niced: (3)