Old 10-17-2019, 10:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,821 Times in 740 Posts
Default Added cash? Where do y'all get it from?

Soooo just curious how others do this...I've run a few C-Tiers and some unsanctioned tourneys and have done payouts a handful of times. The PDGA web site is rather pathetic on how payouts are to be distributed sometimes - or maybe I am just dense. Anyways, I've notices that for Pro B-tiers theres a $700 added cash requirement for open payout. Where exactly is that supposed to come from? I've thought about it and here are my current thoughts:

- The $700 could come from the am side. This seems like a horrible idea to me. Reduce the am payouts by $700 to pay the pros? I'm pretty sure I'd get run off the course with pitchforks and torches. No thanks.

- Sponsors...I really don't know how others do it. I positively SUCK at getting sponsorships for events. I can run a good event, organize it, line up all the goodies, etc etc but getting people to donate eludes me. I can occasionally get gift certs so people will go in an visit the business which doesn't really help with the added cash.

I just got done running what I think is one of my best tourneys ever this past weekend which was a trophy only and am only C-Tier. 70 people came out to play and we had an incredible lunch with awesome player packs which really makes me not want to do another payout again - like ever. I would love to see a spreadsheet or some such report to show how you cover the expenses and what the income is if someone is willing to share. Thanks

-Dave
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2019, 11:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,542 Times in 1,536 Posts

You can't cut the am payouts---they must still be 100%.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Here's one way:

If you have 50 Ams at $50 each, that's $2,500. You give $2,500 worth of payout, valued at retail---that's 100%.

But you only pay $1,800 wholesale costs for that merchandise. There's $700.

I suspect there are a lot of ways people do it, besides that. Yes, sponsorship is one; some people are good at begging for money. I used to play a B-tier where the town itself donated the added cash (they may still, I don't know). It can come out of club funds, which were raised in any number of ways. Sell discs, sell lunches, at the tournament to raise funds. Sell $50 hole sponsorships ($900).

Old 10-18-2019, 12:45 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 455 Times in 170 Posts

Old 10-18-2019, 07:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,821 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Here's one way:

If you have 50 Ams at $50 each, that's $2,500. You give $2,500 worth of payout, valued at retail---that's 100%.

But you only pay $1,800 wholesale costs for that merchandise. There's $700.

I suspect there are a lot of ways people do it, besides that. Yes, sponsorship is one; some people are good at begging for money. I used to play a B-tier where the town itself donated the added cash (they may still, I don't know). It can come out of club funds, which were raised in any number of ways. Sell discs, sell lunches, at the tournament to raise funds. Sell $50 hole sponsorships ($900).
I suspected this was going to be the answer or what R-Ogre said lol. Yeeeeaaaaah I think this answers my question as to whether or not to do a straight B-Tier or split tier. We're just not a big enough club to guarantee an extra $700 - and I am not running an event into the red. We usually have about 30 or so members and typically get 10 to 20 at our weekly leagues. If we were double that size maybe. I see what you are saying about the merch but I am not doing that. If collect $2500 from the ams, $2500 goes into am payouts (minus expenses). My feeling is, if the pros want the added cash they can help me fetch it. Until then, it'll be a pro C-tier am B-tier.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:25 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 170
Niced 728 Times in 333 Posts

Just stick with a C-Tier. For B-Tiers you have to give the PDGA more money so less of it will go to the players. If anything just do a C-Tier with added cash.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
I suspected this was going to be the answer or what R-Ogre said lol. Yeeeeaaaaah I think this answers my question as to whether or not to do a straight B-Tier or split tier. We're just not a big enough club to guarantee an extra $700 - and I am not running an event into the red. We usually have about 30 or so members and typically get 10 to 20 at our weekly leagues. If we were double that size maybe. I see what you are saying about the merch but I am not doing that. If collect $2500 from the ams, $2500 goes into am payouts (minus expenses). My feeling is, if the pros want the added cash they can help me fetch it. Until then, it'll be a pro C-tier am B-tier.
Which brings up the better question; it's not how to fund a B-tier, but why fund a B-tier.

Particularly if you have 70 ams for a tournament. Stick with that success, and be happy.

But the wholesale/retail differential isn't taking anything from the Ams. They're getting their full entry back, anyway---which always strikes me as strange, because it means they're not paying anything for the actual tournament. That's money the TD earns with his work and merchandise arrangements, if he has them; it's his to donate to the pros, to course improvements, or whatever. This works as trophy-only, just as well; the 100% applies to prize payouts, players packs, or any combination.

On the other hand, if you're not using that funding, you can keep entry fees low for the Ams; have just as good a tournament with less stuff.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-18-2019, 07:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Just stick with a C-Tier. For B-Tiers you have to give the PDGA more money so less of it will go to the players. If anything just do a C-Tier with added cash.
It's a negligible difference---$1 per person. It won't be noticed in the players pack, either way.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-18-2019, 07:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,150 Times in 894 Posts

I ran nothing but C tiers (with B tier payouts and amenities) for a number of years simply because I did not like having more rules for me as a TD.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:46 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 170
Niced 728 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
It's a negligible difference---$1 per person. It won't be noticed in the players pack, either way.
True but its still more money taken out of payouts.