Old 11-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Par Member

Niced 110 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
being present (instead of staring at a screen all the time), productivity (same reason), improved memory and sense of direction (especially from using maps and planning routes instead of using navigation), less social media time (now it's none, i left FB and never used any others), and most importantly the sense of well being i get from spending much less time in the digital world.

i'm not saying everyone with a smartphone is not paying attention to the world around them but i see a ton of people who are not. i already have a hard enough time ignoring screens when i'm at home so the last thing i need is one in my pocket. when i'm with people, i want them to know they have my attention. my friends and family make note of it and many have thanked me for it.
I believe you have enough willpower to have a smartphone but not get sucked up in using it to escape reality. By owning a smartphone, you are not required to use social media. You don't have to take a million pictures of everywhere you go. No one will force you to stay in a digital world.

Smartphones are excellent tools, and can be used as just that. The people who can't stop staring at a screen lack willpower.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 11-11-2019, 02:32 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Apple admitted to throttling peak processor performance when the battery was failing to prevent the battery from shutting down. There's a difference there.

https://support.google.com/chrome/an...rm%3DiOS&hl=en
Newest version of Chrome requires iOS 10. So, exactly as I said: I doubt the latest versions of Chrome or Firefox would be supported on iOS 7.
Well of course they are going to come up with an excuse as to why they intentionally slowed their phones down. They had to say something. Can you imagine if they just shrugged and said nothing?

And I agree that the better browsers wouldn't work on iOS 7. That's the problem... Apple only letting iPhone 4 update to iOS 7.

My 10 year old laptop can update to the latest versions of Chrome/Firefox/IE.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-11-2019, 05:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 327
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 287 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
I believe you have enough willpower to have a smartphone but not get sucked up in using it to escape reality. By owning a smartphone, you are not required to use social media. You don't have to take a million pictures of everywhere you go. No one will force you to stay in a digital world.

Smartphones are excellent tools, and can be used as just that. The people who can't stop staring at a screen lack willpower.

yeah, that's why i said what i said
Old 11-11-2019, 05:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 119
Niced 70 Times in 33 Posts

I was in tournaments in July, September, and October that had PDGA Live Scoring. July was Am Worlds and only one guy in 5 days of playing wanted to do it and that was on the last day in the Semis.

In September the TD said we had to do live scoring. We kept a paper scorecard also. It's a good thing we did. There were problems with the interface (maybe because the guy(s) using phones to score are old and have old eyes) but there were some glitches.

There were problems with the live scoring app in October too. It's a good thing we kept a paper card then also.

I don't use my phone at all on the course. So I couldn't keep score at all (I did the paper card those two rounds).

While live scoring is great for administration. There's no lag waiting for TD and staff to get card order/hole assignment between rounds. Everything else runs smoother because of that. I can't see forcing me ever using a phone to do it. Unzip a pocket, pull out my phone, key in the password, get the app up, enter the scores, turn off the screen, put the phone back, re-zip the pocket. Whew! And during tournaments I generally leave my phone in my car anyway...

I've got mixed feelings about it.

Does live scoring work without a cell signal?
There are quite a few courses I've played where there is no cell service.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 146
Niced 350 Times in 167 Posts

As long as you can get a cell signal at the beginning and end of the process it will work. A TD should know the limitations of his course and should make plans accordingly.

A TD should never tell you that live scoring is required. It's explicitly spelled out in the PDGA usage guidelines that digital scoring must not be forced upon players.

If you have any further details of the glitches you saw, I'd love to pass them along to the developers.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
yeah, that's why i said what i said
But what you said only makes sense for people who lack willpower. Obviously I don't know you, but I believe you have enough willpower to not spend your days staring into a screen solely because you own a smartphone. You've already gotten over social media, a smartphone won't magically make you go back.

Denying yourself the tools of a smartphone is like building a deck with a hammer and nails. Sure, you can get the job done. But my drill and I will get it done in half the time. Which leaves me more time to spend with my loved ones.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:01 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 62 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
But what you said only makes sense for people who lack willpower. Obviously I don't know you, but I believe you have enough willpower to not spend your days staring into a screen solely because you own a smartphone. You've already gotten over social media, a smartphone won't magically make you go back.

Denying yourself the tools of a smartphone is like building a deck with a hammer and nails. Sure, you can get the job done. But my drill and I will get it done in half the time. Which leaves me more time to spend with my loved ones.
The majority lack the willpower that would allow them to use their phone well. I am impressed by people who recognize their lack of self-control and take steps to protect themselves from things that could easily become addictive or counterproductive.

I can't imagine what of use I'm denying myself by not having a smartphone. Of course, I've also built two homes without a drill or a nail gun, so I likely have quite different values than you.

Time-saving devices do not generally improve quality of life.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 327
Niced 287 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:

thanks for the vote of confidence. i don't think i'll fall apart if i get one but i do feel that it's easier for me to stay focused on my priorities without one. there really aren't any particular functions of a smartphones that would make that big of a difference in my daily life. if i need digital access outside of the house for whatever reason, i bring a tablet and find a wi-fi network. otherwise, i just let other people ask their phones about "food near me"... one of the few things i can't do without a smartphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
The majority lack the willpower that would allow them to use their phone well. I am impressed by people who recognize their lack of self-control and take steps to protect themselves from things that could easily become addictive or counterproductive.

I can't imagine what of use I'm denying myself by not having a smartphone. Of course, I've also built two homes without a drill or a nail gun, so I likely have quite different values than you.

i totally agree

quality of life for me is typically measured by how often i can unplug and be out of communication with the social and business world at large. i'm a teacher and i spend a lot of time with a lot of different people one-on-one and in groups every week. i like to be alone on days off, or with a small group of friends, preferably outside

Last edited by dreadlock86; 11-11-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:47 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
I am impressed by people who recognize their lack of self-control and take steps to protect themselves from things that could easily become addictive or counterproductive.

Regarding the top part of what I have quoted: I agree but I also think I can inspire someone to gain that self control.

Regarding the bottom: I am perplexed by this. I guarantee you would live a lower quality life if you used scissors to cut your grass instead of a lawn mower. Are you surprised people drive cars instead of walk everywhere? A lawn mower and a car are both time saving devices. Both drastically improve the quality of my life.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:58 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 62 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Regarding the top part of what I have quoted: I agree but I also think I can inspire someone to gain that self control.

Regarding the bottom: I am perplexed by this. I guarantee you would live a lower quality life if you used scissors to cut your grass instead of a lawn mower. Are you surprised people drive cars instead of walk everywhere? A lawn mower and a car are both time saving devices. Both drastically improve the quality of my life.
I don't cut grass at all, and if it were possible to do so, I would happily stop driving cars.

Time-savers always raise the question of what the saved time will be used for. If the time is used poorly, as in watching television or looking at facebook or indulging in whatever the currently popular addictions are, then wouldn't you be better off walking?