Old 07-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Big Scenic Hills & Bodies of Water do it for me.
...and proper teepads are a must!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,190 Times in 605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat16dick View Post
I will respectfully disagree with this. While having a bathroom onsite might be nice occasionally, I rarely find myself having to go in the middle of a round. Taking care of that kind of stuff before leaving home is smart. I could care less about park amenities (bathrooms, water fountains, picnic areas, etc.). As long as the course is great, bathrooms do nothing to affect my view of a course.

But that's me. If you want bathrooms, that's cool as well
Water fountains are a huge plus too. Obviously, a course can be great without a bathroom. But, IMO, it can't be a "5."

Bogey's list is pretty good too.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 379
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 113 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockiesfan4ever View Post
It's in your backyard.
I've only seen a few backyard courses[and I've seen plenty] that even qualify as good, let alone great. If you mean that you live next door to a excellent, developed course, I agree. But 10 minutes is as good as next door almost anywhere in the US.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Bogeys list + in my backyard + all wired and lit up for complete rounds of night golf (we're dreaming here, right?) = great course
Old 07-20-2013, 08:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,544 Times in 1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtobediscing View Post
I've only seen a few backyard courses[and I've seen plenty] that even qualify as good, let alone great. If you mean that you live next door to a excellent, developed course, I agree. But 10 minutes is as good as next door almost anywhere in the US.
I've seen a few. I think a few courses in the Top 25 might qualify. At any rate, the "backyard" post was a supplement to Bogey's list; a course with all that, AND in my backyard.

Ah, but that's just an individual's benefit, not a definition of a Great Course.

10 minutes away might be better than in your backyard...because it means someone else is doing the work.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 386
Niced 22 Times in 10 Posts

What makes a great disc golf course ?

A Mule.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 379
Niced 113 Times in 60 Posts

^^^Heh---saw a guy use his dog packs on his Labrador to haul his 4 discs. Only thing was, the dog had a tendency to roam and chase squirrels, leaving him putting with his Katana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I've seen a few. I think a few courses in the Top 25 might qualify. At any rate, the "backyard" post was a supplement to Bogey's list; a course with all that, AND in my backyard.

Ah, but that's just an individual's benefit, not a definition of a Great Course.

10 minutes away might be better than in your backyard...because it means someone else is doing the work.
If you mean Flip City and Idlewild, I certainly agree, but to me those go far beyond a "backyard" course.

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 07-20-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,544 Times in 1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
What makes a great disc golf course ?

A Mule.
Clever.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 314
Niced 2,279 Times in 1,126 Posts

A few words regarding amenities:

IMHO, they're much more important at multi-course destinations where you're likely to be spending a whole day (or most of it) on site.

I can't tell you how much I appreciated a clean bathroom with running water when I played 4 courses in a one day at Lemon Lake, or being able to take a break, wash up and grab a bite between 24 hole rounds at Hudson Mills' Activity Center. It'd be hard to top the amenities at IDGC (loved the boot cleaners they had behind the building in addition to everything else), and being able to buy drinks, snacks, and discs when playing 30 holes at Ponds of Lakeshore. Decent amenities make a long outings a much better experience, and leave you in better shape for subsequent rounds.

Extras like next tee signs, distance to pin markers, high visibility baskets, scorecards w/maps, etc. are particularly nice when you're on the road playing new courses, and can save enough time to make the difference between squeezing in an extra course that day or not playing one.

That said, all of these might account for roughly ½ disc in my course rating (regardless of how much review space I may use to list them).

A great course must be able to stand on it's own, with/without extras. They certainly enhance your ability to enjoy the course(s), but like the basics, they can't improve a bad course, or make a pretty good course truly great. If you enhance "meh," you end up with really nice "meh." If you have a great course, it's a great course even without any of that (e.g. Flip City, Leviathan).

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-20-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.9
Courses Played: 60
Niced 372 Times in 206 Posts

Playing many hot weather rounds lately..

+ for shade
+ for parking that allows for pit stops mid round
+ for nearby convenience store for beverages / ice
+ for fountains (wash off poison ivy / cool off)