Old 07-02-2013, 02:10 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Milwaukee

Going to be there for 4 days.
What's a good course to play?
I am staying in New Berlin, anything close that is worth it?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 02:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 100 Times in 65 Posts

Dretzka Park is the most played course in Milwaukee (my home course) & is the second best course in Milwaukee IMO but the best course by far is Brown Deer DGC. Valley View Park in New Berlin is decent but not as good as the others I've listed.

Last edited by DiscinFiend; 07-02-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 167
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Dretzka can be a great course if the baskets are in the long placement. Otherwise, play Brown Deer. Both are still great courses and where I learned to play.

If you are in New Berlin, be sure to hit play Valley View. Bring a putter and mid and have some fun in the woods. I grew up about a mile from the course. It used to be awesome back in the late 90s early 2000s, but it is still worth it if you are staying in New Berlin.

Beware the NBPD, lol

Cheers
Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Top Courses in the area
1 Brown Deer DGC Milwaukee
2 Dretzka Park Milwaukee
3 Estabrook Park Milwaukee
4 Dineen Park Milwaukee
5 Abendschein Park Oak Creek
6 Valley View Park New Berlin
Old 07-02-2013, 02:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj29274 View Post
Dretzka can be a great course if the baskets are in the long placement. Otherwise, play Brown Deer. Both are still great courses and where I learned to play.

If you are in New Berlin, be sure to hit play Valley View. Bring a putter and mid and have some fun in the woods. I grew up about a mile from the course. It used to be awesome back in the late 90s early 2000s, but it is still worth it if you are staying in New Berlin.

Beware the NBPD, lol

Cheers
I play these courses weekly & rj knows what hes talking about. You remember the old Valley view layout? It was WAY better than it is now. And play Brown Deer DGC not the Brown Deer Highschool course it sucks.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 975
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140

I respect how everyone can have an opinion . . . I am wondering how you put Dineen Ahead of Abendschein and Valley View and how is Abendschein ahead of Valley View? It all depends on what you value in the end.

I would say:
1) Brown Deer
2) Dretzka
3) Estabrook
4) Valley View
5) Abendschein
6) Dineen

But I cannot go without mentioning Wales, Mukwonago, and Milwaukee County Sports Complex. . . they all have something to offer it just comes down to what you like about disc golf courses.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by harr0140 View Post
I respect how everyone can have an opinion . . . I am wondering how you put Dineen Ahead of Abendschein and Valley View and how is Abendschein ahead of Valley View? It all depends on what you value in the end.

I would say:
1) Brown Deer
2) Dretzka
3) Estabrook
4) Valley View
5) Abendschein
6) Dineen

But I cannot go without mentioning Wales, Mukwonago, and Milwaukee County Sports Complex. . . they all have something to offer it just comes down to what you like about disc golf courses.
At least are top 3 are the same . Valley View is fun but there isn't any holes longer than 350 on any pin location & its just chip n putt mostly. Abendschein is WAY better than it use to be but the first half of the course is all easy short holes & the only good holes are the two wide open holes that are around 500ft. Dineen is IMO a better Valley View b/c it isn't muddy all the time like valley view is & even though there is less elevation change at Dineen compared to Valley View at least Dinnen doesn't have a 50 ft hole. But I'm not knocking your views to each his own. We should play some time.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

It is all good . . . like I said everyone appreciates different things. I love Valley View because it is where I began playing 5 years ago and it is a challenge on any given day. You have to hit your lines or you are done with. . . I have put a lot of time into making VV better with mulch and adding basket locations . . . while Abendschein has gotten worse since I started playing with the addition of teepads I will never use . . . although the changes made this winter do make the course better than it was.

I run a league on Mondays at VV which is all sorts of different formats . . . I am usually there between 3-4 to sell discs and check people in for league. I am also going to be running a fall glow league which will travel to 4-5 courses as well as potentially running a travelling summer league I just need to nail down some details before announcing that league.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by harr0140 View Post
It is all good . . . like I said everyone appreciates different things. I love Valley View because it is where I began playing 5 years ago and it is a challenge on any given day. You have to hit your lines or you are done with. . . I have put a lot of time into making VV better with mulch and adding basket locations . . . while Abendschein has gotten worse since I started playing with the addition of teepads I will never use . . . although the changes made this winter do make the course better than it was.

I run a league on Mondays at VV which is all sorts of different formats . . . I am usually there between 3-4 to sell discs and check people in for league. I am also going to be running a fall glow league which will travel to 4-5 courses as well as potentially running a travelling summer league I just need to nail down some details before announcing that league.
You run the league there!? I've wanted to play in VV leagues for a while. I've played in a few other leagues in the area but everyone always says that the VV league is the best /most fun to play. Which got me interested in it b/c I've had some bad experiences in leagues before. So since you run it kudos to you sir Is it to late for me to join?

Old 07-02-2013, 03:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

We just played week 4 tonight . . . each week is its own week but if you play the last 6 weeks of league you are eligible to make it into the final two weeks of match play if you finish in the top 8 of your division. What do you normally shoot out there?

We do a different format each week, tonight was Putters Only where you can carry as many putters s you want as long as they are on the pre-approved list of putters. We still have to play Stableford (points based golf system rewarding aggressive play for aces and birdies more than consistent par play), 1 disc night (where you can only take 1 disc all night), CTP week where every hole is a closest to the pin contest, Alternate Tee week (where I have pre-decided alternate tees in play that week) etc etc etc. I try to mix it up and people seem to enjoy it . . . I have been getting 20-30 people every week and there is a divison for everyone out there ranging from Over par, to Even to -4, -4 to-8 and better than -8.