Old 06-29-2017, 10:02 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 519 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post

I really do like what _MTL-'s proposing, but I don't like the exclusivity of those allowed to use the system.
To once again clarify - anyone should be able to rate a course. However, TR averages should be displayed and an overall average should be displayed.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 06-29-2017, 10:44 AM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 92
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

I like the 1 - 5 per category system but it seems to me that it would be most useful in addition to what's there now. So maybe allow "advanced reviews" for folks that want to get into the nitty gritty details and "basic reviews" for those that just want to write something and leave a 1 - 5 rating? That way folks that want to hyper-analyze a course or pick courses that fit with what they value can do so without upending the current system.

Another thought regarding one time, home course reviewers. Would it make sense to have reviews drop from the total rating of a course after a certain amount of time if they haven't been updated? Not thinking any small amount of time, but looking at my own reviews from years back, they are largely out of date and not what I would rate the courses now based on my growing skill, number of courses played, updates, etc.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:46 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 69
Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
I haven't read the entire thread
Well that's a good way to further a conversation. Thanks for taking some of your precious time to enlighten us.

Quote:
Sure the current system isn't perfect but no system will be...ever. So just click "not helpful" and move on with life.
No one ever said the changes/adjustments/enhancements that are being proposed would be "perfect". "Better", yes, I think it would be better.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:55 AM
Flippy Flopper

Quote:
Just curious, how many of you wanting a change in the ratings system said "Hey timg I can help you code all this stuff." I can relate: Someone "suggested" to me that I run a tournament and was a little put off when I stated I had no time and had the audacity to suggest that they run said tournament instead...good times.
Never. Because I can't code. Which is why I stated in the OP I know it would not be easy for this.

But the "why don't you offer help instead of complain" comment we see a lot in disc golf is valid. Anyone can put water on a course or go put out sponsorship signs. A skill, like coding, requires education on a the topic.

Apples and Oranges. Rather, apples and Toyotas.

Last edited by _MTL_; 06-29-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 31
Niced 235 Times in 91 Posts

Yelp works. Do I believe every review? No, but you get a feel for what you're getting into.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 208
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 743 Times in 395 Posts

Does Yelp have a section where you can limit whose reviews you read? And provide separate ratings for said group of "desirables"?
Old 06-29-2017, 11:04 AM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 350
Niced 581 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asromatifoso View Post
Thanks for this. I guess there is value in re-stating something but I don't think most people see it that way. I think reviews get downvoted if they don't offer new info, are too short, or simply disagree with someone's own view of that course. I guess I question whether the "helpful" "not helpful" aspect of the review system is necessary at all? Are we adding value by rating people's reviews? I don't see how that helps. Perhaps we could simply go to the "nice" button for reviews like we have for posts?
The system does help good reviewers stand out and I wouldn't let a handful of down votes sway you. People vote for all sorts of reasons. A down vote doesn't actually hurt the helpfulness of a review all that much. Those numbers are fed into an algorithm that takes into account all votes on the course and your reviews and gives the review a "score". So a review with 10 good votes and 2 bad votes would still rank above a review with only 6 good votes is the gist of it. So if you sort by review helpfulness, the truly helpful ones will be at the top, not just the ones where someone got a bunch of their buddies to upvote it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
What about a separate scoring portion for those of us that wouldn't mind rating courses but don't really want to put the time into writing reviews (I know it's no secret that I love posting in the forums, but I just don't enjoy writing reviews)?
Any sort of separate rating system would be in addition to the reviews like you said. It would not let you rate a course... it would just let you vote on how hard you think a course is, etc. Basically just data for sorting courses that wouldn't relate to a course's rating. The reviews would still be the focus for any sort of real quality assessment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreadwell View Post
Another thought regarding one time, home course reviewers. Would it make sense to have reviews drop from the total rating of a course after a certain amount of time if they haven't been updated? Not thinking any small amount of time, but looking at my own reviews from years back, they are largely out of date and not what I would rate the courses now based on my growing skill, number of courses played, updates, etc.
You can update the review rating if you feel differently about a course now. I want to do some sort of weighting thing one day based on age or something but that's a whole different thing. I just haven't had time to mess around with it.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:04 AM
Flippy Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Yelp works. Do I believe every review? No, but you get a feel for what you're getting into.
Yelp to me isn't a good example. Yelp reviews businesses and services rather than activities, like this site does. The reviews of say, a dentist office, rarely are about the actual dental procedures and rather about politeness, wait time, pain, etc. Don't get me wrong, those are important. But you rarely reviews from other dentists of health care professionals actually critiquing the work and the ability of the dentist. You see a lot of "their staff is always so helpful" and not so much "they need to improve their surgical methods on the lateral incisors" or whatever it's called.

However, Yelp is a very broad overview of really anything and everything. This site is extremely specific and when something is very specific, specialty needs to exist for full functionality, IMHO.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.2
Courses Played: 393
Niced 107 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I get what _MTL_ is saying. I don't disagree with it. It's just not what DGCR does...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noill Golf View Post
^yeah, that's pretty much it right there...
Holy collusion! Robin backs up Batman.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.2
Courses Played: 230
Niced 670 Times in 316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
How does adding in an average of trusted reviewer stats and additional elements make the site not better?

If you are concerned greatly about posion ivy you are telling me that something like a "safety" rating and a "course foilage" rating wouldn't improve you knowledge of a course?

You are appearing to greatly misrepresent my intentions as selfish or self-serving. This would help everyone.
Not at all, again I appreciate the time and thought you have put into this. But, I question your insight into the needs or wants of everybody. Again, the combination of reviews, ratings and my insight into my personal "trusted" reviewers provides me with everything I need/want in a course review functionality. The information is all there, it seems you are suggesting a redesign of the functionality to better suit your needs/wants (with the caveat, that you think it would benefit all). Perhaps it might be more pleasing, but the work effort vs. value add is not justified, IMO.

I think I have probably belabored my point enough, I just don't think it is broken.

Niced: (1)