Old 08-07-2018, 08:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,851 Times in 1,067 Posts

Now that I think about it more, there were actually a few holes(I think it was 1, 2, 3, 5 10 and 16) that had 2 basket locations when it first opened but one of those holes isn't there anymore and they aren't allowed to use the long on no16 anymore(would be 1100ish feet long to long).
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2018, 08:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 273
Niced 1,393 Times in 728 Posts

When I played Osage, many (if not all??) holes had alternate pin placements. I recall seeing several covers (IIRC, they were green or black, and about the diameter of a disc), covering the collars not being used.

IMO, the determining factor as to whether something qualifies as a new course (or not) should be new fairways.. Numerous courses have added add'l tees and baskets as they've undergone improvements over there years... some adding a great deal more variety.

They may provide alternate layouts, but as long as they share most of the same fairway, I'd say it qualifies as the same course.

A redesign that brings a bunch of new fairways into play probably qualifies as a new course. When say... 33% of the fairways in the new design truly differ from the old design, I'd say that's a new course.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 08-07-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
When I played Osage, many (if not all??) holes had alternate pin placements. I recall seeing several covers (IIRC, they were green or black, and about the diameter of a disc), covering the collars not being used.

IMO, the determining factor as to whether something qualifies as a new course (or not) should be new fairways.. Numerous courses have added add'l tees and baskets as they've undergone improvements over there years... some adding a great deal more variety.

They may provide alternate layouts, but as long as they share most of the same fairway, I'd say it qualifies as the same course.

A redesign that brings a bunch of new fairways into play probably qualifies as a new course. When say... 33% of the fairways in the new design truly differ from the old design, I'd say that's a new course.
I guess its kind of a mix. Some of the new tees are on or near the fairway of the OG long tees. There are a couple that have a completely different line. A couple that have separate fairways for part of the hole but join together before getting to the basket.

This is from last year after they added the new tees. They have since added some new baskets on several holes...

New hole 1(old 2) has two completely new tees. It was redesigned to get out of a natural drain that would swamp the OG tee. The rest of the OG(R for red, B for blue on the map.) tees are 2B, 3B, 4B, 5B, 6R,(7is the new hole replacing old no1)8B, 9B, 10B(was moved back 20-30ft making a tougher angle), 11B, 12R, 13R, 14R, 15B, 16R, 17R, 18R

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 08-07-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:11 PM
* Ace Member *

I guess my main point is, nobody is playing the course the same way they did when it was new. Most people are playing Long tees or short tees or alternating. They aren't playing the layout that people described in those reviews the first few years.

Maybe there can be a cutoff but not actually remove the old reviews. Put a note in there that says something like, "after this point the course was changed/altered"...?

I guess the real problem here, is that they opened up the review feature for this course before it was really ready. I think it just took them a bit longer to get the course to this point than he thought it would...

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 08-07-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 296
Niced 339 Times in 143 Posts

didnt there use to be a line below some outdated reviews stating "course has gone under updates since your last review" or sometime like that?

I hate seeing reviews with a 1.5 rating with one con stating "no signage." Then the next 5 reviews say awesome signage.

Niced: (1)

Old 08-07-2018, 10:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 124
Niced 1,746 Times in 843 Posts

Incrementally-changing courses are tricky. Our course is vastly different from the course it was in the first review, which was mine. But the change was only a couple of holes per year, so it's hard to say where to draw a line. (We're fine with not drawing it at all, confident that the rare people who read through all the reviews, won't be thrown astray by the oldest ones).