Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Mad City courses considering P2P across the board

http://host.madison.com/news/fees-fo...9bb2963f4.html

I support this model for both disc golfers and disc "duffers," especially if the fees go 100% entirely into the courses as proposed.

Fees for disc golf under consideration

There will be no more mulligans on basket fees for disc golfers in Madison parks.

A proposal to be introduced at Tuesday’s City Council meeting and backed by both the city’s Parks Division and the city’s disc duffers would begin charging at the two courses this season. Courses at Elver and Hiestand parks would cost $5 a day or $40 a season to play. Anyone younger than 16 could still play for free.

Madison has offered at least one course for free public play for the past 20 years. In disc golf, players toss plastic discs varying distances to targets that are raised metal baskets.

“Several hundred” players use the two Madison courses daily, estimated disc golf veteran Mike Batka, who runs a store selling those accessories.

Fees are necessary, said Parks Division spokeswoman Laura Whitmore, because “the courses at Elver Park and Hiestand Park are showing the wear and tear of this increased usage. To improve the quality of the courses and the amenities such as benches, tee boxes, turf maintenance, a ‘pay to play’ permit will be required.”

All fees will be used “exclusively” for disc golf course costs, she said.

Permits will go on sale in early spring at the kiosks at the courses, in the Madison Parks administration office, at some retail vendors and online.

The two city courses are “maintained, monitored and programmed” by the Madison Area Disc Club, according to descriptions on the Parks website.

The fees will be used for trash removal, turf management, tee box improvements and more, Whitmore said.

“We depend on lots of volunteerism,” Batka said.

Though the Madison courses were considered high quality for many years, “we’ve seen the courses deteriorate over the past five years. There are hundreds of users daily, the fairways are suffering from some erosion and some soil compaction, invasive species,” he said.

Dane County operates a popular course at Token Creek Park ($8 daily and $48 annual fees).
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 465
Niced 8 Times in 3 Posts

$40 a year sounds reasonable IF it includes all the courses. Shelling put $40+ per course is too much. It would be nice to see the same quality of landscaping/rock greens/general course upkeep of Vallarta/Ast on all thr courses.

10 years ago, though, I would say that SUCKS!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

10 years ago there would have been pitchforks and torches at the mere mention of a small fee!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 194
Niced 28 Times in 21 Posts

I think it is an excellent idea! I enjoy elver and hiestand a lot and would not have a problem paying 5 bucks (being that I'm out of town) to play. My only issue would be if the "volunteers" who had been doing all that work on the course were not offered anything (and I'm talking small amounts) for any future work done by them on the course. I fully understand the term volunteer, but if the park is taking in revenue (even if it is minimal), even a simple gesture would be nice as a "thank you" from the parks department IMO.

Kudos to whoever got the ball rolling on this one
Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 50
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Excellent idea. Idk where this is at, but to charge a super busy course would help pay for the upkeep of said course(s). There is one near my house that is unplayable due to high traffic and terrible graffiti everywhere. It's a sweet course, but could use some work and since it's privately owned and openly played. Parks department is not required to bother with it.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to Skankin77

Tendick is 45/year now too.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Three Rivers Parks here in Minnesota are $35 a year and it is worth every penny. All three of the courses are very nicely maintained and it can leave some of that course ruiners out of the mix.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, if anyone has played Vallarta-Ast/Token Creek (where it's now a slightly steep $8/round but not totally unreasonable as they are now 27 holes), you'll notice a stark contrast in landscaping and general maintenance between there and Elver/Hiestand that blows the other 2 courses out of the water...and while I personally think the golf is better at the free ones (much more elevation, for one), the litter and erosion have become quite an issue. There has been a volunteer caretaker system in place at the free courses for quite some time (even an "adopt-a-hole" where one person would go out and take care of their hole's tee, fairway, trash/recycling, but it seems not everyone has held up their end of the deal).

I also wouldn't oppose some kickback to the volunteers, but not necessarily cash payouts; more like an annual Caretakers' Dinner funded with surplus funds and fees collected at the hugely popular MCO (lots of door prizes and whatnot, local recognition with plaques at the courses or a brick-and-mortar establishment, custom discs, etc.).
Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I get the sense from some of the board members I occasionally play with that we're a little beyond the consideration stage. This plan has been in the works for quite a while now. Of course the idea had been floated before, but this time the foundation for the collection box has been laid at Hiestand.

The Madison courses, Elver and Hiestand, will have one fee and the county course, Token and the new course off Lake Farm, will share another. The main reason for this, as I've heard, is that the county doesn't want to share revenue with the city. In any case, it's long overdue for Hiestand and Elver which are too busy for volunteers to keep up with and have issues that volunteerism cannot combat. Ill gladly pay $90 to have four courses that are well maintained and protected. Not only that but the expansion of courses in the area is promising-the money is being used to build new courses and expand the old. The city courses will benefit from that treatment too.

Disc golf is on the rise here in a visible way and P2P is a part of that. Plus everyone that I've played with loves the idea. It was very well received by the disc golf community at our spring opener and people are looking forward to its implementation this season.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 169
Niced 146 Times in 75 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013

who is going to enforce it and how are they going to do so at a park that busy?