#791  
Old 07-19-2021, 09:58 PM
txmxer txmxer is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,529
Niced 1,286 Times in 646 Posts
Default

That shot was more special because of altitude.

DG absolutely involves “luck”, but luck doesn’t win. As is said, you have to be in it to win it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #792  
Old 07-19-2021, 10:03 PM
Mack eby Mack eby is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Managua Nicaragua
Posts: 44
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
That shot was more special because of altitude.

DG absolutely involves “luck”, but luck doesn’t win. As is said, you have to be in it to win it.
What do you mean that was flat ground.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #793  
Old 07-19-2021, 10:04 PM
txmxer txmxer is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,529
Niced 1,286 Times in 646 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack eby View Post
What do you mean that was flat ground.
Yes it was. At altitude.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #794  
Old 07-19-2021, 10:05 PM
Mack eby Mack eby is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Managua Nicaragua
Posts: 44
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Yes it was. At altitude.
I understand now
Reply With Quote
  #795  
Old 07-19-2021, 10:30 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace No More *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 354
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,490
Niced 7,385 Times in 3,005 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondeby View Post
James himself said that he could only hit that shot about 2 out of 50 times.
But from that lie, he puts it on a line that has real, legit chance of hitting metal more often than most other top pros. He's gotta be the best on the tour at shaping shots with putters.

I say that based more on his entire body of work, than based on that single shot.

Niced: (3)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-19-2021 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #796  
Old 07-19-2021, 10:55 PM
araytx araytx is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 216
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,863
Niced 806 Times in 471 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondeby View Post
And that is a very small percentage.
Correct. That makes it improbable -- not purely lucky. And those are the best moments in sports. Ultiworld even put its take on the classic calls in sports history with the line, "in a tournament of improbable the impossible has happened..." The great moments in sports are about executing the improbable. Do football teams practice the hail Mary" pass at the end of a half or game? Sure they do. And it has to be executed to perfection to even have a slight chance of success. And it is rarely successful. Is it "lucky" when it is? Well, depends on the point-of-view. I'd say the "luck" for JC was that this happened to be one of the 1 or 2 out of 50 times he estimates he could throw it in. But that's not pure luck -- at least not any more luck than any other player. It's a shot he can execute but still needs all the stars to align for it to happen.

And for those who say Paul isn't lucky, well it's more than being the best. It's growing up in the right time period. Because I am older and have seen both play, I still believe Champ is the greatest disc golfer ever. I've seen them both play in their prime. But to those saying Paul is, just wait 20-25 years when you're my age and some youngster on whatever form social media has taken by then says to you that the "player of their generation" would smoke 'old Paul McBeth.' What will you say to them? Every era is different and every champion has some luck to win.
Reply With Quote
  #797  
Old 07-19-2021, 11:04 PM
Mack eby Mack eby is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Managua Nicaragua
Posts: 44
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Correct. That makes it improbable -- not purely lucky. And those are the best moments in sports. Ultiworld even put its take on the classic calls in sports history with the line, "in a tournament of improbable the impossible has happened..." The great moments in sports are about executing the improbable. Do football teams practice the hail Mary" pass at the end of a half or game? Sure they do. And it has to be executed to perfection to even have a slight chance of success. And it is rarely successful. Is it "lucky" when it is? Well, depends on the point-of-view. I'd say the "luck" for JC was that this happened to be one of the 1 or 2 out of 50 times he estimates he could throw it in. But that's not pure luck -- at least not any more luck than any other player. It's a shot he can execute but still needs all the stars to align for it to happen.

And for those who say Paul isn't lucky, well it's more than being the best. It's growing up in the right time period. Because I am older and have seen both play, I still believe Champ is the greatest disc golfer ever. I've seen them both play in their prime. But to those saying Paul is, just wait 20-25 years when you're my age and some youngster on whatever form social media has taken by then says to you that the "player of their generation" would smoke 'old Paul McBeth.' What will you say to them? Every era is different and every champion has some luck to win.
I definitely think their are going to be better players than Paul because disc golf keeps growing and the more people playing the better the chance is to have an even better player than Paul mcbeth.
Reply With Quote
  #798  
Old 07-19-2021, 11:17 PM
araytx araytx is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 216
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,863
Niced 806 Times in 471 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack eby View Post
I definitely think their are going to be better players than Paul because disc golf keeps growing and the more people playing the better the chance is to have an even better player than Paul mcbeth.
If "better" means the physical skills and attributes will be more then yes I agree. That part is simply true in every sport. Players evolve as training regimen, sport science, specialization, compensation, etc. all increase. Michael Jordan apologists still struggle with that fact 20+ years after the guy retired the second time. But that I believe will always be true.

If better means "more accomplished," "stronger mentally," better decision-maker," "more dedicated," "greater competitor + ambassador," and various other tangible and intangible components it takes to be a winner at the highest level, then THAT is yet to be seen. Maybe there will be, maybe not.
Reply With Quote
  #799  
Old 07-19-2021, 11:53 PM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is online now
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 32.5
Courses Played: 736
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 13,458
Niced 3,451 Times in 1,426 Posts
Default

Many elite athletes have quoted the old saw, "The more I practice, the luckier I get."

Reply With Quote
 

  #800  
Old 07-19-2021, 11:59 PM
txmxer txmxer is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,529
Niced 1,286 Times in 646 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Many elite athletes have quoted the old saw, "The more I practice, the luckier I get."
Exactly. Both James and Paul played some fantastic DG. We were treated to the kind of sports moment you remember for a lifetime.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PDGA World Championships to Return in 2021... InDaWoodsDiscN419 Tournaments & Leagues 31 06-05-2020 12:48 PM
2019 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships Aug 12-17 brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 1008 08-29-2019 06:05 AM
2018 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships CourseMaintenance Tournaments & Leagues 59 09-07-2018 12:16 PM
2019 PDGA Amateur Disc Golf World Championships Darkgreen Tournaments & Leagues 25 12-13-2017 04:44 PM
2011 PDGA Pro World Disc Golf Championships: Monterey Bay, California JHern Tournaments & Leagues 479 08-15-2011 04:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.