Old 07-19-2021, 09:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,286 Times in 646 Posts

That shot was more special because of altitude.

DG absolutely involves “luck”, but luck doesn’t win. As is said, you have to be in it to win it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-19-2021, 10:03 PM

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
That shot was more special because of altitude.

DG absolutely involves “luck”, but luck doesn’t win. As is said, you have to be in it to win it.
What do you mean that was flat ground.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack eby View Post
What do you mean that was flat ground.
Yes it was. At altitude.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-19-2021, 10:05 PM

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Yes it was. At altitude.
I understand now
Old 07-19-2021, 10:30 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 354
Niced 7,385 Times in 3,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondeby View Post
James himself said that he could only hit that shot about 2 out of 50 times.
But from that lie, he puts it on a line that has real, legit chance of hitting metal more often than most other top pros. He's gotta be the best on the tour at shaping shots with putters.

I say that based more on his entire body of work, than based on that single shot.

Niced: (3)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-19-2021 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 216
Niced 806 Times in 471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondeby View Post
And that is a very small percentage.
Correct. That makes it improbable -- not purely lucky. And those are the best moments in sports. Ultiworld even put its take on the classic calls in sports history with the line, "in a tournament of improbable the impossible has happened..." The great moments in sports are about executing the improbable. Do football teams practice the hail Mary" pass at the end of a half or game? Sure they do. And it has to be executed to perfection to even have a slight chance of success. And it is rarely successful. Is it "lucky" when it is? Well, depends on the point-of-view. I'd say the "luck" for JC was that this happened to be one of the 1 or 2 out of 50 times he estimates he could throw it in. But that's not pure luck -- at least not any more luck than any other player. It's a shot he can execute but still needs all the stars to align for it to happen.

And for those who say Paul isn't lucky, well it's more than being the best. It's growing up in the right time period. Because I am older and have seen both play, I still believe Champ is the greatest disc golfer ever. I've seen them both play in their prime. But to those saying Paul is, just wait 20-25 years when you're my age and some youngster on whatever form social media has taken by then says to you that the "player of their generation" would smoke 'old Paul McBeth.' What will you say to them? Every era is different and every champion has some luck to win.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:04 PM

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Correct. That makes it improbable -- not purely lucky. And those are the best moments in sports. Ultiworld even put its take on the classic calls in sports history with the line, "in a tournament of improbable the impossible has happened..." The great moments in sports are about executing the improbable. Do football teams practice the hail Mary" pass at the end of a half or game? Sure they do. And it has to be executed to perfection to even have a slight chance of success. And it is rarely successful. Is it "lucky" when it is? Well, depends on the point-of-view. I'd say the "luck" for JC was that this happened to be one of the 1 or 2 out of 50 times he estimates he could throw it in. But that's not pure luck -- at least not any more luck than any other player. It's a shot he can execute but still needs all the stars to align for it to happen.

And for those who say Paul isn't lucky, well it's more than being the best. It's growing up in the right time period. Because I am older and have seen both play, I still believe Champ is the greatest disc golfer ever. I've seen them both play in their prime. But to those saying Paul is, just wait 20-25 years when you're my age and some youngster on whatever form social media has taken by then says to you that the "player of their generation" would smoke 'old Paul McBeth.' What will you say to them? Every era is different and every champion has some luck to win.
I definitely think their are going to be better players than Paul because disc golf keeps growing and the more people playing the better the chance is to have an even better player than Paul mcbeth.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 216
Niced 806 Times in 471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack eby View Post
I definitely think their are going to be better players than Paul because disc golf keeps growing and the more people playing the better the chance is to have an even better player than Paul mcbeth.
If "better" means the physical skills and attributes will be more then yes I agree. That part is simply true in every sport. Players evolve as training regimen, sport science, specialization, compensation, etc. all increase. Michael Jordan apologists still struggle with that fact 20+ years after the guy retired the second time. But that I believe will always be true.

If better means "more accomplished," "stronger mentally," better decision-maker," "more dedicated," "greater competitor + ambassador," and various other tangible and intangible components it takes to be a winner at the highest level, then THAT is yet to be seen. Maybe there will be, maybe not.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:53 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 32.5
Courses Played: 736
Niced 3,451 Times in 1,426 Posts

Many elite athletes have quoted the old saw, "The more I practice, the luckier I get."

Old 07-19-2021, 11:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Many elite athletes have quoted the old saw, "The more I practice, the luckier I get."
Exactly. Both James and Paul played some fantastic DG. We were treated to the kind of sports moment you remember for a lifetime.