Old 07-23-2021, 05:00 PM

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default Multi use park etiquette

More a rant than a question. I am in Central VA and have played Rockwater Park in Culpeper a few times. I like the course. But there are a lot of walking paths running through the course. I'm OK waiting for people who are walking to be clear. Well, patient enough anyway.

But I have come across this a couple of times, people sitting, or even picnicking, in the middle of the fairway! Are they just oblivious?

One hole (13) is a beautiful downhill where you can watch your drive sail beautifully, but unless you hit a gap it will likely hit trees. Not nasty lost forever trees, but a stand of tall trees spaced enough apart that you won't lose a disc. I once threw there and people were picnicking under those trees. I didn't come very close to hitting them but they said, "Hey, how about a "fore""? I didn't really say anything but wanted to say, "How about not having your picnic on the damn fairway?"

End of rant.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2021, 05:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 789 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman62 View Post
But I have come across this a couple of times, people sitting, or even picnicking, in the middle of the fairway! Are they just oblivious?
Yes, they are. There are more people unaware of what disc golf is than are aware of the sport. At Fountain Hills DGC in Arizona (one of the courses for the Memorial), people will even have picnics or just sit right next to the basket. At Watson Lake Park (also in Arizona), one round there was a family that set up a tent inside the island green so they could sit and watch the lake while they ate and their young kids could get out of the sun.

Some folks are courteous and will move when they are told they are on a disc golf course. But some will be rude and say it's a public park and they can be wherever they want to be.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-23-2021, 11:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.4
Courses Played: 256
Niced 7,008 Times in 2,413 Posts

Sadly, in the public park hierarchy, disc golf ranks pretty much last. It is likely that the courses longevity hinges on our stewardship. It is tedious to play ambassador to the oblivious, but I don't think I have ever heard of a walking path getting pulled, because they were getting in the way of disc golfers.

Everyone in a park has the right to use it, as they see fit. Discs can be VERY dangerous. Be patient, be friendly and skip a hole to avoid injury or confrontation. I would spend some time chatting them up, letting them know about the game, invite them to throw a couple. Inform them that there may be groups that don't understand courtesy and they could be in harms way. Wish them the best of days and move along.

Old 07-24-2021, 12:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 637
Niced 2,971 Times in 1,339 Posts

A fairway to us on here is just a nice grassy field, great for a picnic to the vast majority of park users. Skip the hole and move on.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-24-2021, 06:28 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 222
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,775 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman62 View Post
More a rant than a question....End of rant.
Keep throwing on people, and you'll no longer have a course to enjoy at all. Behind that course is probably somebody who had to work real hard to even get it installed. Don't be the guy who makes it impossible to get the next one installed. Go throw Walnut Creek instead.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 54
Niced 6,867 Times in 3,488 Posts

I've seen a group picnic put plastic down in a basket and fill it with ice and beer...
Old 07-24-2021, 09:51 PM
Garrulous Windbag

Courses Played: 16
Niced 283 Times in 136 Posts

Years ago girls used to hang hammocks next to 4's basket at Banklick. It was comical to watch the poor frisbee boys try to figure out how to handle it.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 1,286 Times in 646 Posts

Played Bicentennial this morning. There are a lot of dog walkers that wander the course, and many that let the dogs off leash. This one old dude had a lab, a wiener dog and what looked like a pit pup with a broken back.

On first encounter the lab comes up to us in the tee pad. No big deal, then he wanders in to the fairway. I asked the dude to call the dog so we wouldn’t risk hitting him. He did, but the dog decided I was playing catch and chased down my drive, picked up the disc and started running back towards us. I was annoyed—concerned the dog would damage the disc. Fortunately not.

This area of the course makes a u turn on the next two holes, with the second hole throwing across a large creek and a walk bridge near the basket. The dude with the dogs was in the area of the walk bridge on the north side. We throw south, cross the bridge and are getting ready for our second throw which goes along the creek and over the bridge. Dude walks to the middle of the bridge and stops. He is now directly between me and the basket, telling us to go ahead and throw. We are telling him we can’t throw with him and the dogs there. If anyone gets hit it’s going to hurt a lot.

We are careful not to throw towards people, and will wait or skip a hole if necessary. Dude wasn’t trying to be in the way, but everything he did was exactly the wrong choice.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 229
Niced 318 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Played Bicentennial this morning. There are a lot of dog walkers that wander the course, and many that let the dogs off leash. This one old dude had a lab, a wiener dog and what looked like a pit pup with a broken back.

On first encounter the lab comes up to us in the tee pad. No big deal, then he wanders in to the fairway. I asked the dude to call the dog so we wouldn’t risk hitting him. He did, but the dog decided I was playing catch and chased down my drive, picked up the disc and started running back towards us. I was annoyed—concerned the dog would damage the disc. Fortunately not.

This area of the course makes a u turn on the next two holes, with the second hole throwing across a large creek and a walk bridge near the basket. The dude with the dogs was in the area of the walk bridge on the north side. We throw south, cross the bridge and are getting ready for our second throw which goes along the creek and over the bridge. Dude walks to the middle of the bridge and stops. He is now directly between me and the basket, telling us to go ahead and throw. We are telling him we can’t throw with him and the dogs there. If anyone gets hit it’s going to hurt a lot.

We are careful not to throw towards people, and will wait or skip a hole if necessary. Dude wasn’t trying to be in the way, but everything he did was exactly the wrong choice.

Perfect example of well meaning ignorance. No bad intent; they just think we're out there farting around with frisbees. Like they're just out there farting around with dogs.

We should try to remember: they have no idea how seriously we're taking this "activity in the park", and no clue about how fast golf discs fly, or the harm they can cause.

They still piss me off, in all their slow-walking glory. But this reminds me that I need to cut them a lot of slack - at least until disc golf becomes an Olympic sport!

Old 07-25-2021, 06:42 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 130 Times in 61 Posts

I had an elementary class playing kickball with cones in the middle of a fairway the other morning. I sat down on the tee box, checked my mail, and waited about 20 minutes for them to finish up. I greeted the teacher as they left and said nothing more. It's multi-use. There's no priority. This is the Serengeti waterhole of territory. Take a pause.