Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Catalyst or Bubble
Bubble 23 44.23%
Catalyst 29 55.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2021, 07:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 122
Niced 4,308 Times in 1,635 Posts

both
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 07-26-2021, 07:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,344 Times in 602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinbuttree View Post
I am too, which is why I voted bubble. For nothing more than selfish personal reasons, I like the sport where it is now. Already noticing courses with more traffic and getting harder to find plastic. Can't handle much more growth.
Yeah. I can't get on the courses I want when I want, I can't easily get the discs I want, and I can't get in tournaments without basically taking time off work.

I think it is already slowing down a bit, but I'm hoping bubble.

I know the counter-argument is build new courses, blah blah blah blah. However, at least where I live, we probably need to be putting up housing instead of disc golf courses. I know several people that have either sold their house or took a new job and are living in hotels because there is nothing buy or rent available.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,150 Times in 553 Posts

My experience has been different than most, it appears.

The local public courses in my area of central Massachusetts were stripped of all baskets soon after we began hearing of the spread of covid-19 in March 2019. I was told this was to dissuade folks from showing up and catching the bug from card mates. Signs were posted that the courses were closed. It worked, at least in dissuading most anyone from playing. The baskets were only reinstalled a couple of months ago, and disc golf traffic has not yet returned to pre-covid times. On Saturday, I saw 6 other people on the course during the round. The number of Canada geese on my most visited course, which I continued to play at regularly despite the missing baskets, has outnumbered disc golfers for almost a year and a half.

Hiking traffic in the area was not discouraged, and was noticeably greater during the height of the shutdown, but has slowed again.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,181 Times in 1,052 Posts

Can it be both a catalyst and a bubble?

I think the growth we have seen has been a catalyst for disc manufacturers increasing capacity and building up infrastructure, and in person attendance helping to boost tournament purses.

I don't think the pace of growth is anywhere near sustainable and there will likely be a negative impact to participation in the sport when things actually get back to normal. There will be some that hang around and play a lot, but likely many more that will play much less frequently or just dismiss it for other activity.

There is also hidden negatives to this boom in the sport. Myself, along with others, are not participating in leagues or tournaments as frequently (and not at all in my case), attempting to buy discs (thanks to lack of retail access and spiking secondary market) There are definitely people filling those slots but there is a cost to massive expansion before being ready to handle the influx.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 661 Times in 315 Posts

Don’t really know if there’s a more useful metric aside from the % increase in pdga membership (which isn’t overly useful in itself) to help quantify things.

I do think a lot of the new Covid era players will stick around for a while. I don’t think you’ll see the increase of new players increasing going forward though. Yes you’ll still see new people finding the game, but not in numbers larger than what we’ve just saw.

The am tournament dynamic is interesting though. With events filling so quick, and inventory being slim, are TD’s able to get custom stamped stuff for players packs? What about having enough inventory to cover payouts?
Old 07-26-2021, 10:12 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 108
Niced 535 Times in 235 Posts

I think too that the new influx will regulate itself. If a newer player (not totally hooked yet) faces the same discs shortages and wait times that us old-timers do, they may be less willing to put up with it, and simply move on. Yes, the sport can be addicting, but part of that has been the ease (low time investment) and low cost (low money investment) of playing. Both those investments are increasing. Unless and until capacity (disc and course) increases, any big boom will simply temper itself.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 789 Times in 433 Posts

It's a bubble. We may see numbers decrease....but I don't think we will see the growth continue at this rate.

The reason is answered by 'What caused the growth'? It was the pandemic. Sports were canceled and most group activities were banned. Basketball courts.....closed off. Tennis courts....closed off. Playgrounds....closed off. About the only thing that stayed open where groups could participate was disc golf. So people took that up so they could be outdoors getting exercise and hanging around other people - usually without masks. While we are still in the pandemic, everything has opened up again....I think we will keep a few of the new players, but a bunch will go back to doing what they did before the pandemic.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 550
Niced 305 Times in 106 Posts

I'm guessing catalyst. I mean, c'mon, it's the greatest sport/game ever made, it was only a matter of time.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,783 Times in 736 Posts

I think it’s both. I think there will be a dropoff but the new baseline will be higher than if we had just had 2 years of normal growth. My hope is that the manufacturers don’t get burned by their equipment investments when the dropoff does come.

Niced: (2)

Old 07-26-2021, 03:22 PM
*Necromancer*

Niced 20 Times in 10 Posts

I think that the sport will keep growing.