Old 07-27-2021, 10:45 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 517
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,734 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Shrug. These are set up to be personal ratings. If you are a beginner, this type of course probably does suck. Though the review is also lacking, this is a very good example of why ratings are kind of a waste. To this guy, the course delivered a lousy time. To expect he should give ratings, through the eyes of a 900 rated player is silly.

The numbers generally even out with enough reviews and are helpful in picking road trip courses. The meat of the site is the reviews. Reviews > Ratings.
i agree that the reviews are more important than the ratings.

When i look for food places, that first thing i look at is the ratings, then i read the reviews. If you owned a ruth chris and a homeless man rated your restaurant a 1.0 because the food is too expensive, you'd be ticked off.

a terrible review like that should not factored in the rating imo. its complete garbage.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 07-27-2021, 10:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 9
Niced 1,344 Times in 602 Posts

I have to say that I never considered how sensitive some people were to "cons" until the post complaining about people citing pay to play as a con.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-27-2021, 10:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.4
Courses Played: 256
Niced 7,011 Times in 2,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
i agree that the reviews are more important than the ratings.

When i look for food places, that first thing i look at is the ratings, then i read the reviews. If you owned a ruth chris and a homeless man rated your restaurant a 1.0 because the food is too expensive, you'd be ticked off.

a terrible review like that should not factored in the rating imo. its complete garbage.
We aren't likely to agree. The idea that his rating is garbage, "in your opinion", means exactly the same thing as his rating of this course, "in his opinion".

I am not going to try to tell anyone what their opinion should be. I might agree with your opinion more, but that does not need to invalidate the opinion of another.

This discussion seems to come up, every time a low rating is thrown out for a generally well respected course. This is the system we use here, you play a course and give your opinion.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 104
Niced 411 Times in 211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmonty View Post
One disc review for Blue Lake in Portland, Oregon. Basically bashed the entire course because if he can't hit the fairway, the course sucks, lol. That makes up the entire review. It's the course's fault.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/revie...mode=rev#88220
It looks like his biggest complaint was actually all the briars and brambles. If, when you miss the fairway, you have to exchange pain and blood for your disc, I can certainly see that being a negative. Whether that makes the course a one disc course is subjective of course. It's weird that you see that review as simply the bashing of a course because the reviewer "can't hit the fairway."

Niced: (2)
Old 07-27-2021, 11:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 104
Niced 411 Times in 211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I have to say that I never considered how sensitive some people were to "cons" until the post complaining about people citing pay to play as a con.
Why try to characterize someone who is of the opinion that pay-to-play should not be a con as being "sensitive" to cons?

Old 07-27-2021, 11:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.4
Courses Played: 256
Niced 7,011 Times in 2,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
It looks like his biggest complaint was actually all the briars and brambles. If, when you miss the fairway, you have to exchange pain and blood for your disc, I can certainly see that being a negative. Whether that makes the course a one disc course is subjective of course. It's weird that you see that review as simply the bashing of a course because the reviewer "can't hit the fairway."
Yikes, add poison ivy galore and squadrons of bird sized mosquitos. He would not like Michigan golf much right now.

Old 07-27-2021, 11:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Why try to characterize someone who is of the opinion that pay-to-play should not be a con as being "sensitive" to cons?
Because of their con sensitivity.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:22 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 108
Niced 535 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
The thing is, the reviewer states this:
"It's not like other reviews haven't said the same thing"

So if you KNOW a course is such and such, does it really make sense to complain about and penalize the course for it? This wasn't the first review for this course.

I KNOW the rough at Toboggan is brutal. Knowing that, I really do try hard to stay out of it, discing down on holes like #3 so my bag is as heavy on hole 18 as hole 1.

That is the beauty of this site, you can be forewarned about issues you know you don't like about courses. If I know the mosquitoes are really bad, great, I can make sure I have bug spray.

Old 07-27-2021, 11:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinbuttree View Post
So if you KNOW a course is such and such, does it really make sense to complain about and penalize the course for it? This wasn't the first review for this course.
Yes. Most of the reviews were pretty dated. I like to see if the cons (or pros) are still relevant. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

I'm also that I'm not sure that I agree with the concept of the course being "penalized". It isn't like we are digging up a tee pad for every 5 sub 3 star reviews.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 108
Niced 535 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I'm also that I'm not sure that I agree with the concept of the course being "penalized". It isn't like we are digging up a tee pad for every 5 sub 3 star reviews.
IDK, sometimes I feel a course is taking something out on me for something someone else said or did to it. Well, at least the trees...

Agreed, courses don't care (though owners of private courses may, but those get graded out well usually), but reviews are generally for players who are considering playing there. Searches on both DGCR and Udisc are filterable by rating, so maybe sometimes a better course may not show up because of a few overly low ratings.

I tend to filter pretty low, maybe 2.5 stars and up, unless looking at niners or shorter courses for the kids. If there are just a few courses in an area, I will look at them individually, but if I were, for instance, going to WI or MN, I would definitely need to filter a little bit. Just too many courses (a good thing).