Old 07-27-2021, 12:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 598 Times in 305 Posts

Personally I bag speed 2s, speed 4s and speed 7s. I don't see any use for distance drivers. FWIW I don't have a big arm at all. The Teebird is my go-to as a fresh Teebird flies slightly overstable, a beat in g* flies like a fresh FD, a really beat in star flies understable etc
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2021, 12:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 905 Times in 491 Posts

If you broke down discs into the traditional categories of putters, mids, fairways, and distance drivers and told me I had to ditch one group the first to go would likely be the distance drivers. If you asked me to take another group out of my bag and go play it would probably be the mids. If you asked me to take out a third group…. we’ll, then we might have to have a talk.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:46 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 71 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post
I'd vote for the Orion LF. Especially if you can get your hands on the 1.1 run.
+1 for Millennium OLF. Get 1 each of current run M/S/Q at the same weight. I've been really enjoying all of these since they are flatter and slightly less OS, making them BH and FH friendly. 8-9 speed.

Just started throwing Leopards more this year and have had pretty good success. I think a cycle of Leopards in different weights/plastics could also function as a full lineup of fairway drivers. Probably easier to get these off the shelf to hit all the lines but not as FH friendly. 6-7 speed.

172g+ Q/Champion for headwind & OS lines
160-165g M/Pro for turnovers
167-170g S/Star for all around straight/release angle holding

Niced: (1)
Old 07-27-2021, 12:52 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 133 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I find fairway drivers really valuable even if you don't need them to fill a specific distance gap.

On open courses, ...

In the woods, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
As others have already said, I think bag composition is going to be very dependent on your specific arm, technique and course composition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
There are courses/layouts where I use these on 13 or 14 holes and barely touch my mids and DD's, but there are other course/layouts where I don't touch them, ....
I feel like my golf disc knowledge is leveling up from moment to moment!

Conclusion: I'm not throwing FW bc, for my arm and technique, my primary course and other local courses don't particularly reward it, and I can lean on more familiar discs.

Still, I found a LDGS with an online store (Throwmore, TN) that had a few Envys in stock (amen), and added a Star Teebird to the order. Almost added a LOTS but I want to throw one first.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:07 AM
Birdie Member

Hey, for anyone who reads my text and doesn't think I'm a total waste of discretionary time...

I am SOO fascinated by the concept of a FW.

Today I picked up a Champ Teebird @175 or so, and a K1 "Birdies for Bob" LOTS at Fly Green in Denver. (Birdies for Bob is kind of a charity ALS thang, Fly Green dude explained the whole thing--what a cool store, massive love to those dudes).

So anyhoo...

I grabbed 12 FW for a kind of WWF Battle Royale throwdown. Haha throwdown.

BTW I'm workin on my 4th Drumroll Hazy Pale Ale. FWIW. Long story.

The 12 contenders, scaled weights, official numbers and my numbers based on wear and personal impression and Colorado altitude. Yeah a couple are technically mids for sure, but we are exploring 'the space' here and are willing to let in excellent outsiders for the sake of good contrast. For me the speed number correlates with how far you could bomb it and desired mph release and also overall shape/design. We can get hung up on numbers but the point is they are consistent within my own method in relation to each other.

1. Lucid Escape 176g 9/5/-1/2, 9/5/-1/2
2. Discraft elite XL 172g 8/5/-1/2, 7/6/-3/1
3. Discraft Meteor 178g, early run 5/5/-3/1 6/6/-1.5/1
4. Octo***** disc from Westside, 178g, you may know it as Tursas; 5/5/-2/1 6/6/-2/0
5. Discmania Essence in Neo 173g 8/6/-2/1 9/7/-2/1
6. G* Roadrunner 176g; 9/5/-4/1 9/6/-3.5/2
7. Star Sidewinder 172g 9/5/-3/1 10/5/-2/3
8. Champ Valkyrie, 176g 9/4/-2/2 9/5/-2/2
9. K1 LOTS, 176g 9/5/-1/2 9/5-1/2
10. DX Eagle, L mold, 175g; 7/4/-1/3 9/5/-1/1
11. Bright Green (af, kinda supernatural glowy in twilight, coolest champ disc I own) Teebird, 175g; 7/5/0/2 7/5/0/2
12. Westside Hatchet, 1786g; 9/6/-2/1 8/5/-1/0

next up is the results..

Old 07-29-2021, 12:33 AM
Birdie Member

First thing.

I'm trying to make sense of all of this just like you. I'm addicting to chucking circles and seeing what happens. But I want to do science, too.

What did I hope to discover. Ultimately I wanted to know if any of these deserve a spot in my bag because currently I think maybe only the Tarsus is in the bag for the 1 in 100 throw and that's based mainly on orthogonality (it does its unique thing). I do keep the Essence in the bag on common sense alone. The Roadrunner too for one hole at Beaver. The Escape and Meteor are two of my favorite discs but they are casualties to brutal minimization. Others are fascinating new discs.

Bags can change tho in relation to course and it's good to have the ability to roll with discs that your nearby courses don't require.

But I am in brutal 'disc'-rimination mode right now. I want to commit to just a select few molds and master them.

When I think about how many throws I have in this coming month, and how I'm going to get better (btw I'm all about the lower score aspect of things if you couldn't tell, and fun is also on the menu fo sho)--when I think it out, I just don't have that many throws to really learn lots of discs. In fact, I probably don't have enough to even learn 1 disc!! All the different lines, the winds, etc. I want to be realistic and consistent and predictable about it.

Yeah, so I'm thinking none of these damned discs is good enough.

Results (after throwing FH/BH, distance, touch, tunnel, anny, hyzer):

1. Escape--still a damned good disc. Props to all who bag it and use it consistent. I wonder if I should.
2. XL--too flippy
3. Meteor--pretty close to a FW. Similar distance, great flight profile, ideal for tunnel shots (I got a tunnel ace with this disc). Terrific disc, but I like Hex + drivers more.
4. Tarsus--does Tarsus thangs. Will keep in bag, threw a killer FH anny shot with it. Hope I get enough work with it so that when I actually need it that it's there.
5. Essence--whew. This disc. Stays in bag for sure.
6. G* Roadrunner--hrm. Stays in bag for the -3.5/-4 turn aspect, plus it's glidey, plus I hope to learn rollers.
7. Star Sidewinder--I really, really like this disc on a flex FH line. On a BH it's a capable disc but doesn't wow me.
8. Champ Valkyrie--see Escape above
9. K1 LOTS--need to see more. Super high quality results and great feel. Might bag it, but again, this is radical minimalization mode.
10. DX Eagle--really like this disc. Sneaky distance but also, *all* the shots. I like what it's doing in DX but wonder if I should be trying out a Star or Champ, etc. Not making the bag for the moment. Would be high on the list of discs to master if I had to move to a woodsy area.
11. Teebord--sold. Goes in bag. The two throws that sold me were the anny FH that unwound so amazingly, and also the anny BH touch shot. This really feels like an 'artisan's' disc, best I can explain it. Sold.
12. Hatchet--damn this is actually a really really good disc. It's not just the art that has me wanting to bag it!!! Out of all of these FW, this one has the most benign fade/finish--for such long legs.

So that's that. I see the Teebird as a Firebird with less hate in its heart.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:33 AM
Birdie Member

Not that a little hate in the heart is a bad thing.,,
Old 07-29-2021, 07:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,855 Times in 955 Posts

Dang hawg, you type a lot. Did anyone read all of that?

Old 07-29-2021, 10:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 905 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Dang hawg, you type a lot. Did anyone read all of that?

Ha. Nope. I don’t hardly read any posts longer than a paragraph or so. Although, I am guilty of a few longer posts myself. Call me a hypocrite I guess.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 49
Niced 1,202 Times in 712 Posts

So if I am understanding correctly, you are going to bag an Essence and Teebird in addition to the Firebird already in your sig line. Seems like a solid three FW lineup to me. Stick with those three, and keep the others in a box as backups in case you lose one.