Old 07-19-2018, 10:50 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
It's probably not the best idea to imitate this, but it's really irrelevant if you can't get off your rear leg into a closed stance. Pay extra attention to SC in the newer one leg drill video where he talks about moving the center of gravity back and in, so he can get stacked over the leg. That's where it started making sense to me. The point of the drill is to feel where your trying to get to, that way you have a feeling to shoot for when you try to shift your weight. Agree with SW about almost feeling backwards to the target. It'll be weird and frustrating for you at first, because it's a huge adjustment from where you're at right now to where you want to be. Once it starts to click, you'll wonder how you ever threw with your current form.
You weren't kidding, this is so irritating, I would throw standstill after standstill and do one small run up, and every time i'd go look to the camera and nothing would be different. So I really really tried to rotate around my front leg in this video instead of my spine. I'm not going to post the distances these go anymore because i'm taking billyjacko's advice and just worrying about form.
Run-Up:
https://streamable.com/uq2fi
One-Legs:
https://streamable.com/6ue9v

I was able to pop up just fine on my front foot, but I still cant get that power pocket form that all the pros have.
Bad Stance:
Nice Stance:

Another question for you all, I have tournaments i'm signed up for, I still have the same distance and accuracy if I go back to the bad form. How detrimental would it be to play those tournaments on the weekends and then break down form all week?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2018, 10:58 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Images didn't work so here they are:
Bad Form: https://imgur.com/a/9lwslcn
Old 07-19-2018, 11:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,471 Times in 990 Posts

Yeah still shifting in front. I'd look at the door frame drill. You are getting to max reachback early, opening up into the plant, and pushing the upper body ahead and around the plant. In the door frame drill, the farther you drop the more you turn back/load. You want to land downward in a closed way. And you push off the rear leg/instep to help gravity rather than to push through your torso to pull on the door frame.

As far as switching back and forth, that can be tough depending on how used to form work you are. You are best off I think to hit your lines and be aware of how far your discs are currently going. If you are hitting your lines with whatever version of form you are using that day, go with it. And then just trust your gut feeling for how far you are throwing...if you normally use a mid but currently aren't feeling that you are throwing as hard, disc up to a fairway. As long as you hit your lines all will be ok.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:29 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 163 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatsu View Post
Another question for you all, I have tournaments i'm signed up for, I still have the same distance and accuracy if I go back to the bad form. How detrimental would it be to play those tournaments on the weekends and then break down form all week?
Don't think about your form during a tournament. Go have fun, play your rounds the best way you can. If you try to work on form mid tournament, you'll hate yourself, and it might discourage you from trying to continue work on your form. There's a point where you'll get confident in the muscle memory of a new throwing style, and it doesn't sound like you're even close yet. Just remember, this is a game and it's supposed to be fun.

FYI, with linking images from imgur you have to copy the direct link of the individual image and put it in the [img] brackets
Old 08-02-2018, 04:59 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm back, with 2 weeks off to do nothing but form, should be fun I hope.
I watched a ton of videos on bracing and did the one-leg drill for quite some time, I feel like I finally had a breakthrough on at least the mental side of things and why we actually brace. I've been able to incorporate that into my "pump fake" throws but whenever i go to actually pull it seems to break down, and I think that its because i'm trying to throw too hard.

This one looks perfect:
https://streamable.com/5vusu

This one not so much:
https://streamable.com/b7ghm
The biggest flaw I notice in the second video is that I'm once again not rotating my spine fixed, which I do in the fluffed video.

Last edited by Hatsu; 08-02-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,471 Times in 990 Posts

Definitely the right direction.

I think you have too wide of a stride and are too much over your heels. Figure out how to swing on the front leg, over the toes, so that you have a ton of room to swing through. Then you'll want to end up more onto your toes to heel on the plant leg, which will discourage you from striding so far forward and also being too on the heel toward the right side of the teepad. This will also help keep you more on your rear toes.

So right now you are too on the rear heel, with the foot turned far back to accomodate that, then you stride really far to plant and are too far behind the plant from the side view and too far to the heel. This also is leading you to tipping your spine back in the backswing then forward trying to get to the plant.

You can also try from standstill, making sure to land over your front foot farther toward your toes, to get a narrower stance and feel how much quicker it is. Wide feels strong but it's slow.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,509 Times in 1,000 Posts

Not sure it's too wide stance, maybe an inch or few, but for sure too late getting off the rear foot. Need to get off rear foot before planting front foot.

You shouldn't be pulling with the arm. You are also pulling before you plant your front foot. You need to plant into front foot, then swing the arm by rotating your body, arm just goes along for ride.

Your shoulder and elbow look really high in the backswing and then the elbow really drops in forward swing, and your disc does some funky turn at the top of the backswing/transition. Elbow should maintain about nip height throughout and disc should smoothly maintain plane through the transition. Elbow should rise if anything during the swing as centrifugal force pulls it up out away from you and your shoulder socket.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:21 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I'm back and still hitting this wall with my back "dipping" over my front foot. I watched a ton of videos on bracing, and the videos linked in this thread, and the general consensus i got from those is that my footwork is what is throwing off my upper body. I focused a lot on staying on my toes and keeping my X-Step foot perpendicular to the tee which is helping a lot.

Here is the most updated throw, I was purely focusing on footwork and shifting into my front leg so my upper body is very off. This is the first video where I can see the shift in my two legs with the knees together and then pushed hard into the front foot.
https://streamable.com/6beuo

One thing i was curious about, How hard are you supposed to push off of your rear foot, should it just shift off of it, or should i really focus on pushing into my front leg.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,509 Times in 1,000 Posts

Yeah, your rear leg is pushing your upper body over the top your hips. Need to turn your rear hip further back/butt leading stride more into plant. Send your feet or foot from underneath you into the plant, like a skier going into a turn.