Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Why Do You Like Jomez
Videography 27 19.01%
Post Production (Graphics, etc.) 42 29.58%
Commentary 40 28.17%
Timeliness 5 3.52%
Other 16 11.27%
I don't like Jomez 3 2.11%
Who? 9 6.34%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Par Member

Niced 42 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacledbear View Post
Focus on the play Jurm and dont ramble on about some story no ones interested in.
And also, a play is a play, a spade is a spade, no need for fake symphaty for every missed put or a roll on the green.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,151 Times in 555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacledbear View Post
Focus on the play Jurm and dont ramble on about some story no ones interested in.
And stop talking about Hockey, Basketball and any other team sport!
I'm watching disc golf, I don't care what happened to the 1975 Lakers!

I like his run on the stats though and I think Nate is pretty dang good, and both of them together are certainly better than a couple of giggling girls doing FPO coverage.

I love both Jomez and CCDG and my hats off to both groups for giving us some respectable coverage.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 48
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

I selected "Other" as an arbitrary "All of the Above" selection. They produce awesome videos, limit 9-hole coverage to a reasonable timeframe, put out videos pretty much the next day and still put out great quality videos. There are few things I don't like about Jomez. Slomez's are awesome, Big Sexy commentary is always great.

I'll say, as much as I really like the Follow Flight, it can act as a spoiler, in a sense. Say, the FF happens on hole 1, you know there isn't a better shot coming. If it hasn't happened up to hole 9, you know someone is making a great shot. Maybe this is just me... but my solution would be more FF!!
Old 06-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 522 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdaire27 View Post
I'll say, as much as I really like the Follow Flight, it can act as a spoiler, in a sense. Say, the FF happens on hole 1, you know there isn't a better shot coming. If it hasn't happened up to hole 9, you know someone is making a great shot. Maybe this is just me... but my solution would be more FF!!
Do they have a quota/cap of one Follow Flight per 9 holes? I guess I hadn't noticed, or kept tallies or anything.

I have noticed that the FF can spoil the rest of the drives on a given hole. If the first player gets the Follow Flight, you know the rest of the players aren't going to have as good of shots. If the first throw is parked but they DON'T do the FF, you wonder if there's another park job coming for the Double Follow Flight.

Would be better, in my opinion, if they save any/all follow flight(s) until after all drives are thrown on that hole. Not necessarily right after the specific throw. Just $0.02, obviously.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-01-2018, 05:56 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Do they have a quota/cap of one Follow Flight per 9 holes? I guess I hadn't noticed, or kept tallies or anything.

I have noticed that the FF can spoil the rest of the drives on a given hole. If the first player gets the Follow Flight, you know the rest of the players aren't going to have as good of shots. If the first throw is parked but they DON'T do the FF, you wonder if there's another park job coming for the Double Follow Flight.

Would be better, in my opinion, if they save any/all follow flight(s) until after all drives are thrown on that hole. Not necessarily right after the specific throw. Just $0.02, obviously.
It’s been one FF per 9, from what I’ve noticed, unless they do a side-by-side on a single hole.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 981 Times in 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
I think this is the path for Sexton... Now that his wife is wrapping up medical school and he has a little one at home, I don't see him traveling much (outside his region).

That said, he can (probably) do commentary remotely just as easily as he can onsite.
It's a little tougher to do remotely. I've done both tons. Remote tends to lead to more over-talking. Need to add more structure to the commentary when you do it that way. That and you need to get the vid uploaded first which can add some time to the production. I think next year he's going to stay home, and just fly out for key tourneys and watch the baby while the wife finishes up school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
If I was a betting man, I would bet Jomez realizes a larger company at some point is going to enter the disc golf media world and either compete with or buy up the best. Truth is, anyone can be a decent commentator, no one is going to offer any of the current disc golf commentators big bucks for their services. I could be wrong but I think Jonathan realized early on his commentary skills was not the driving force of his company and once he decided to stay behind the camera more and work on video production, the quality of their production improved rapidly. He's obviously very tech savvy and seems driven to keep his work fresh by introducing new ideas / features several times a year. The other guys are trying to play catch up, but I think that's just going to push Jomez even more.

I hate to say it because we're lucky to have Jomez sticking around our disc golf world, but you have to wonder if we'll start seeing Jomez cover more potentially profitable events in the near future? Surely if he applied his talents to Ultimate Disc, he would have a much larger base. (I just searched on "ultimate disc" from youtube and most of the results on the first page have over 170k views, some have millions, compared to the typical 20-50k they get for each video currently.) He obviously at some point needs to "cash in" on his time investment. Let's hope the disc golf world will allow that.
Jonthan, Juan (his graphics guy/Overstable Studios), and I all have a fb group chat. We have a running joke where we'll post youtube vids of random sports getting millions of views, we then comment on how dumb we are for making disc golf vids lol.

That said I don't see Jomez leaving DG. We're both addicted to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post

To be fair, I'm equally or maybe even more a fan of CCDG, though they might be behind on some of the effects stuff. If I had to pick something better about Jomez, it would be the pro commentary. That seems to be part of Jomez's conscious decision to pay for a more marketable product, and it's worked wonders. Ian's commentary may be better, but he'll never be 1040 rated no matter how good that roller game gets... Forking over time and money to travel doesn't hurt either.
Hey i'm rated 987 right now! #notbad. Not close to 1040 though :P

Thread hijack alert. We've been kicking around adding a flight tracker. Yes/no? I see two angles:

1. Cool!

2. You guys suck for copying them.

thoughts?

Niced: (3)
Old 06-01-2018, 07:11 PM
Eagle Member

^do it!

It’s a cool effect for sure!

Old 06-01-2018, 07:15 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 14 Times in 8 Posts

Anytime someone does something to make their coverage more interesting, more informative or more exciting I think it's a great idea. I like the slow motion you often do between holes, bring on the shot tracker!

Old 06-01-2018, 07:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 564 Times in 416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
It's a little tougher to do remotely. I've done both tons. Remote tends to lead to more over-talking. Need to add more structure to the commentary when you do it that way. That and you need to get the vid uploaded first which can add some time to the production. I think next year he's going to stay home, and just fly out for key tourneys and watch the baby while the wife finishes up school.

Jonthan, Juan (his graphics guy/Overstable Studios), and I all have a fb group chat. We have a running joke where we'll post youtube vids of random sports getting millions of views, we then comment on how dumb we are for making disc golf vids lol.

That said I don't see Jomez leaving DG. We're both addicted to it.

Hey i'm rated 987 right now! #notbad. Not close to 1040 though :P

Thread hijack alert. We've been kicking around adding a flight tracker. Yes/no? I see two angles:

1. Cool!

thoughts?
Obviously this is the way to go. Everyone is just copying someone else anyway LOL. Thanks to the inventor of the instant replay. The follow flight is cool so you doing it is cool.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 161
Niced 1,599 Times in 781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini View Post
Quote:
When told that his Captain Picard character from Star Trek: The Next Generation would drink a lot of tea, Sir Patrick Stewart originally suggested that he drink Lapsang souchong, but the producers were afraid the audience wouldn't know what that was, so the character drank Earl Grey tea instead.[10]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post

1. Cool!

thoughts?
DO IT. Flight tracker is too good for Jomez to keep for themselves. As long as you and Cory are doing your superb, not a pro disc golfer Cali flavored commentary you'll always be distinctly your own thing.

Niced: (1)