Old 06-13-2018, 03:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 138 Times in 95 Posts

Like others have said, touring and playing is their job. Like other individual sports, if you are good, you will make money. If you market yourself well, you will make money.

However, not all jobs are for everyone. If you aren't good at either of those, then you're working a dead-end-job... and need to find a new career.

Also, I'd like to see the correlation that is being drawn to conclude talent is outgrowing the money. Can't quite wrap my head around this, as both talent and money opportunity has grown through time.

As long as we got youtubes (especially Jomez and CCDG) that I can watch, courses I can play, and local leagues/tournaments I can 'donate' my money to, I am a happy camper.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,765 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdaire27 View Post
Also, I'd like to see the correlation that is being drawn to conclude talent is outgrowing the money. Can't quite wrap my head around this, as both talent and money opportunity has grown through time.
The way I understood the OP's question, he was strictly talking about tournament purses, using the example of last weekend's BSF where some fairly prominent touring players failed to make the pay cut. The implication being that if such good players are failing to cash at a big event, is there more "talent" than available money. Seems like a myopic way to look at it, especially using just the one event and overlooking the alternative means these players have to earn money.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 19
Niced 839 Times in 421 Posts

(Professional) gambling has its risks.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 52
Niced 1,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Not all events have this size a field either. GBO had more than double the players in MPO than Masters Cup and BSF. Also, not every event has this size field with so many of the top players. BSF and Masters Cup were both stacked with 1000+ rated players. 50ish at BSF, so not a lot of "donators" in that event. Most of the guys have to bring their A game to cash in a field like that.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 06-13-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 88
Niced 365 Times in 226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
There are endless jobs to choose from.
They chose disc golf.
Not my problem.
That's kind of how I feel. I'd love to scratch out a living on the road, not worrying about a mortgage or 9-5 desk job, playing the sport I love and seeing the country.

I don't particularly care if there's ever any money in the pro tour for disc golf - this is, and always will be, an amateur 'bottom up' driven sport.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 42
Niced 1,758 Times in 813 Posts

Maybe he shouldn't have tripled a hole in the final round...
Old 06-13-2018, 05:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 679 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
Paul has stated that there are several players making six figures a year. And when you mentioned how much Sexton and Jerm make from commentary, it sorta blew my mind. As for Eagle, he probably spends more money a month just on food than I make total. They're doing just fine.
Nate and Jerm don't make much from commentary directly. Their money comes from tour series discs and Sexton shootouts. Those sell much better because they do commentary.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 624 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
To get a sense of scale

Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Sure. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. Just acknowledging that the pool of very skilled players may be outpacing the money---or, at least, outpacing the tournament payout money.
Key distinction for sure. In that case, 100% agreed that tournament purse growth is being outpaced by talent level at NT/Major events.

I'll take the same stance as you, not passing judgment, but agree with that observation.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:29 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 1
Niced 735 Times in 396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Nate and Jerm don't make much from commentary directly. Their money comes from tour series discs and Sexton shootouts. Those sell much better because they do commentary.
Gotcha. I was remembering this quote wrong:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Bitter - it annoys me when pros ask for money to do commentary. They already make FAR more money than any of the media people do, plus just doing it raises their profile exponentially and sells their sig/tour discs. Some of these people are getting 5-figure royalty checks monthly, yet they feel like they need to take my job and get paid for it (on top of getting paid for doing theirs)
Either way, not too shabby.

Niced: (1)

Old 06-13-2018, 07:38 PM

Courses Played: 3
Niced 51 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I don't know. At the risk of sounding selfish....I don't really care. If I were in support of any large "grow the sport" concept, the touring pros would not be on my radar. I don't believe there is any scenario where TV or internet interest is large enough to make much of an impact on "grow the sport". I think the concept should be focused on bringing in new players on a local level, both tournament and casual play. I am not even sure I want that, just means more crowds on courses and more work for the old farts around here responsible for tournaments and putting new baskets in the ground. Trying to make a living, playing disc golf is a decision. It does not seem so significantly more difficult than making a living at a lot of other, less fun occupations. *grumblegrumblegripegripe*
I was hoping to see the common sense of this quote early on in the thread and I did. This on so many levels.