#31  
Old 06-13-2018, 08:35 PM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tx
Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,219
Niced 375 Times in 214 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
No, not really. The pros that know how to hustle for it are making tons of money outside of tournament purses.
I've seen mentions of this before. I've been at several big name local clinics, c-tiers, un-sanctioned events, etc, and this is in the DFW area where disc golf is pretty big. Not seeing how they could be "making tons of money" outside of purses, unless your definition of tons of money is different from mine. But...if you're talking about the biggest names in the sport (Paul, Ricky, Eagle, Simon, and a few others...) ok.., but certainly not for the lesser known names, the guys who routinely might "bank" on being in the top 10-20 of each event, certainly their situation is more dire as the talent pool at the top gets more competitive.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-13-2018, 09:01 PM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tx
Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,219
Niced 375 Times in 214 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeCroisQue View Post
The ones that are successfully doing it are making money in other ways by running their own events, running clinics, having sponsors, and selling tour discs. The benefit of placing high in tournaments, as well as growing your brand through various outlets, is getting/keeping your name in the spotlight to show sponsors that you're worth investing in.
ok... but my point is..it HAS to be getting harder...quickly...to keep making the extra money this way when there is new players entering the market and they're bringing savvy business, marketing skills, with them, taking attention away. Hell..we had a national touring pro who made headlines nationally recently, play a local tournament and basically no one had any idea who he was.

Sometimes slow growth at the top is good for a sport because it allows media attention to stay focused on each player longer, growing the sport and the player's "brand". I think Paul Mcbeth is the perfect example of this. The guys at the top are doing fine, no doubt about that, but the guys who were used to placing 5-10, I think that's going to be where careers are made and lost. Would be interesting to see some stats on player diversity and payouts for the "middle class" pro disc golfer at some point.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-13-2018, 09:41 PM
Dr.Smooth Dr.Smooth is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Midwest
Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,678
Niced 151 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Their is a law of dimensioning returns on this guys. And this is important. If you can finance to a degree a professional who is dedicating his life to something. Great things happen like-improvements in disc technology, technique, better courses, etc.

And why should the Joe Hack care? It is all a trickle down effect. Like now we have more private courses, we got super wow discs like the destroyer and nuke, better equipment, etc.

Last edited by Dr.Smooth; 06-13-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-13-2018, 10:12 PM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
Verified Jurkface
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: AIM's Mom's house.
Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 159
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 14,453
Niced 1,375 Times in 707 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Nate and Jerm don't make much from commentary directly. Their money comes from tour series discs and Sexton shootouts. Those sell much better because they do commentary.
Good, Nate and Jerm shouldn't make much money from commentary directly.

They know **** all about identifying tree species.

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-13-2018, 10:54 PM
Monkeypaws's Avatar
Monkeypaws Monkeypaws is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SE Minnesota
Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 3,252
Niced 135 Times in 91 Posts
Default

I agree with the general sentiment of the OP. There is some serious compression at the top of the scoring, and a stroke or two means no cash, minimal cash, or reasonable cash. Lead cards are no longer routinely the top 4 at the end of the tournament. I imagine a few hundred bucks can mean a lot in terms of touring if you don't have tour disc income, or generous sponsors.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-14-2018, 12:30 AM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,041
Niced 629 Times in 237 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I've seen mentions of this before. I've been at several big name local clinics, c-tiers, un-sanctioned events, etc, and this is in the DFW area where disc golf is pretty big. Not seeing how they could be "making tons of money" outside of purses, unless your definition of tons of money is different from mine. But...if you're talking about the biggest names in the sport (Paul, Ricky, Eagle, Simon, and a few others...) ok.., but certainly not for the lesser known names, the guys who routinely might "bank" on being in the top 10-20 of each event, certainly their situation is more dire as the talent pool at the top gets more competitive.
In this context, grossing 6 figures.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-14-2018, 12:46 AM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,306
Niced 427 Times in 363 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Nate and Jerm don't make much from commentary directly. Their money comes from tour series discs and Sexton shootouts. Those sell much better because they do commentary.
Also saw from a year Simon Lizotte was touring with Avery Jenkins and how they got to buy a number of disc for dealer price and sold them to the people for regular store price to make money. Also it was hard to watch the camera mounted on RV Dash as they were driving while talking about touring and having smaller bus sized RV bounce around.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-14-2018, 02:17 AM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,041
Niced 629 Times in 237 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Also saw from a year Simon Lizotte was touring with Avery Jenkins and how they got to buy a number of disc for dealer price and sold them to the people for regular store price to make money. Also it was hard to watch the camera mounted on RV Dash as they were driving while talking about touring and having smaller bus sized RV bounce around.
Hmm, I think you may have misunderstood something in there. Discmania pros can't sell discs like that unless they are running a legit business (like Nate Perkins). Innova pros are under similar restrictions, that's why you can't buy the discs off of them at the events, they'll direct you to the pro shop website.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-14-2018, 02:19 AM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,041
Niced 629 Times in 237 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcσn View Post
Gotcha. I was remembering this quote wrong:



Either way, not too shabby.
Yeah "monthly" was a bit misleading I think too considering the runs go out of stock rather quickly. I could have phrased that better.
Reply With Quote
 

  #40  
Old 06-14-2018, 03:56 AM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,306
Niced 427 Times in 363 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Hmm, I think you may have misunderstood something in there. Discmania pros can't sell discs like that unless they are running a legit business (like Nate Perkins). Innova pros are under similar restrictions, that's why you can't buy the discs off of them at the events, they'll direct you to the pro shop website.
Well it was hard to hear over the motor of the vehicle in that YouTube post. Also Aver Jenkins talks so annoying with all his ums it was hard to hear. They had discs to sell was all I could make over the Motor of the Vehicle they were using. I think they had bought the disc from Innova and Discmania to sell themselves but were selling them slightly over price, had to buy them off the pro shop website or something. It was really hard to hear, they may have been using the discs for an event or something. I see a few years ago Simon and Avery were doing the Training events as part of the Discmainia Scout team so they may have had some of the the discs for the event at the time as well as some of the equipment. They should have not been doing the Webcast while driving that was the scary part and annoying with the bouncy film.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.