Old 06-13-2018, 08:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 375 Times in 214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
No, not really. The pros that know how to hustle for it are making tons of money outside of tournament purses.
I've seen mentions of this before. I've been at several big name local clinics, c-tiers, un-sanctioned events, etc, and this is in the DFW area where disc golf is pretty big. Not seeing how they could be "making tons of money" outside of purses, unless your definition of tons of money is different from mine. But...if you're talking about the biggest names in the sport (Paul, Ricky, Eagle, Simon, and a few others...) ok.., but certainly not for the lesser known names, the guys who routinely might "bank" on being in the top 10-20 of each event, certainly their situation is more dire as the talent pool at the top gets more competitive.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2018, 09:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 375 Times in 214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeCroisQue View Post
The ones that are successfully doing it are making money in other ways by running their own events, running clinics, having sponsors, and selling tour discs. The benefit of placing high in tournaments, as well as growing your brand through various outlets, is getting/keeping your name in the spotlight to show sponsors that you're worth investing in.
ok... but my point is..it HAS to be getting harder...quickly...to keep making the extra money this way when there is new players entering the market and they're bringing savvy business, marketing skills, with them, taking attention away. Hell..we had a national touring pro who made headlines nationally recently, play a local tournament and basically no one had any idea who he was.

Sometimes slow growth at the top is good for a sport because it allows media attention to stay focused on each player longer, growing the sport and the player's "brand". I think Paul Mcbeth is the perfect example of this. The guys at the top are doing fine, no doubt about that, but the guys who were used to placing 5-10, I think that's going to be where careers are made and lost. Would be interesting to see some stats on player diversity and payouts for the "middle class" pro disc golfer at some point.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 3
Niced 151 Times in 106 Posts

Their is a law of dimensioning returns on this guys. And this is important. If you can finance to a degree a professional who is dedicating his life to something. Great things happen like-improvements in disc technology, technique, better courses, etc.

And why should the Joe Hack care? It is all a trickle down effect. Like now we have more private courses, we got super wow discs like the destroyer and nuke, better equipment, etc.

Last edited by Dr.Smooth; 06-13-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:12 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 159
Niced 1,375 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Nate and Jerm don't make much from commentary directly. Their money comes from tour series discs and Sexton shootouts. Those sell much better because they do commentary.
Good, Nate and Jerm shouldn't make much money from commentary directly.

They know **** all about identifying tree species.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 135 Times in 91 Posts

I agree with the general sentiment of the OP. There is some serious compression at the top of the scoring, and a stroke or two means no cash, minimal cash, or reasonable cash. Lead cards are no longer routinely the top 4 at the end of the tournament. I imagine a few hundred bucks can mean a lot in terms of touring if you don't have tour disc income, or generous sponsors.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-14-2018, 12:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 128
Niced 629 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I've seen mentions of this before. I've been at several big name local clinics, c-tiers, un-sanctioned events, etc, and this is in the DFW area where disc golf is pretty big. Not seeing how they could be "making tons of money" outside of purses, unless your definition of tons of money is different from mine. But...if you're talking about the biggest names in the sport (Paul, Ricky, Eagle, Simon, and a few others...) ok.., but certainly not for the lesser known names, the guys who routinely might "bank" on being in the top 10-20 of each event, certainly their situation is more dire as the talent pool at the top gets more competitive.
In this context, grossing 6 figures.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-14-2018, 12:46 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 427 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Nate and Jerm don't make much from commentary directly. Their money comes from tour series discs and Sexton shootouts. Those sell much better because they do commentary.
Also saw from a year Simon Lizotte was touring with Avery Jenkins and how they got to buy a number of disc for dealer price and sold them to the people for regular store price to make money. Also it was hard to watch the camera mounted on RV Dash as they were driving while talking about touring and having smaller bus sized RV bounce around.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Also saw from a year Simon Lizotte was touring with Avery Jenkins and how they got to buy a number of disc for dealer price and sold them to the people for regular store price to make money. Also it was hard to watch the camera mounted on RV Dash as they were driving while talking about touring and having smaller bus sized RV bounce around.
Hmm, I think you may have misunderstood something in there. Discmania pros can't sell discs like that unless they are running a legit business (like Nate Perkins). Innova pros are under similar restrictions, that's why you can't buy the discs off of them at the events, they'll direct you to the pro shop website.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcσn View Post
Gotcha. I was remembering this quote wrong:

Either way, not too shabby.
Yeah "monthly" was a bit misleading I think too considering the runs go out of stock rather quickly. I could have phrased that better.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:56 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 427 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Hmm, I think you may have misunderstood something in there. Discmania pros can't sell discs like that unless they are running a legit business (like Nate Perkins). Innova pros are under similar restrictions, that's why you can't buy the discs off of them at the events, they'll direct you to the pro shop website.
Well it was hard to hear over the motor of the vehicle in that YouTube post. Also Aver Jenkins talks so annoying with all his ums it was hard to hear. They had discs to sell was all I could make over the Motor of the Vehicle they were using. I think they had bought the disc from Innova and Discmania to sell themselves but were selling them slightly over price, had to buy them off the pro shop website or something. It was really hard to hear, they may have been using the discs for an event or something. I see a few years ago Simon and Avery were doing the Training events as part of the Discmainia Scout team so they may have had some of the the discs for the event at the time as well as some of the equipment. They should have not been doing the Webcast while driving that was the scary part and annoying with the bouncy film.