Old 04-14-2018, 10:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 27.3
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 11 Posts
Default Disc lands on culvert

In a tournament, I threw a disc that went right and landed on a big culvert. Clearly not past the OB painted line on the grass on the path above the culvert, but not touching any ground or grass. Water in the culvert, but the disc was not touching any water. Just 100% laying on the culvert. Group said it was not OB, and I took a legal stance and threw the next throw. Was this correct?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2018, 03:31 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 183 Times in 77 Posts

802.05 Lie
Quote:
A. The lie is the place on the playing surface upon which the player takes a stance in order to throw. The playing surface is a surface, generally the ground, which is capable of supporting the player and from which a stance can reasonably be taken. A playing surface may exist above or below another playing surface. If it is unclear whether a surface is a playing surface, the decision is made by the Director or by an Official.
Quote:
Lie

QA-LIE-1: My throw landed on a bridge that spans an OB creek. Do I play from the bridge, or is my disc OB since itΒ’s above the creek? What if IΒ’m on the bridge but over land?

A bridge is an example where one playing surface is vertically stacked above another playing surface. Each playing surface is treated independently. The bridge is in-bounds unless the TD has declared it to be OB, regardless of whether a playing surface above or below it is OB. If the two-meter rule is in use, it does not apply because your disc is on, not above, the playing surface. You mark your lie on the bridge, and there is no penalty.
Quote:
Stance
QA-STA-3: Our course has two horizontal rainwater run-off culverts that exit from the side of a hill into the fairway. They are about two feet in diameter with metal grills over their exits that have gaps big enough for discs to enter but not a player. If a disc enters a culvert, can the player simply mark on the hillside directly above their discΒ’s location in the culvert with no penalty since the disc is below the playing surface?
Yes. Inside the culvert is not a playing surface, but the hillside above it is. If the TD has not provided guidance on how to handle discs entering these culverts, then players can mark on the hillside directly above their disc with no penalty.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 27.3
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 11 Posts

Thanks. Makes me feel better.