Old 04-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 608 Times in 277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwug View Post
Hi folks. I have a question about a tee sign I came upon recently during a casual game. The hole has a stream behind the basket. On the tee sign it reads: "Water and beyond is OB" My shot landed by the stream but was clearly not in contact with water. However, it did go slightly past a yellow string that at first we did not realize was even there (new course for the group). My group determined that I was OB based on the yellow string. I think we did that correct based on official tournament rules, but would you guys say that the tee sign is inaccurate?

To me it simply looks like this: Sign says "Water and beyond is OB." Disc is not in water nor beyond, thus in bounds based on the sign.

I made this argument and was accused of having an unreasonable interpretation of the sign's intentions. Fine, I'll take the extra stroke, but was my interpretation of the sign really unreasonable? My group thinks so but I'd like to hear some impartial opinions from the community on this one. Greatly appreciated.

-Adam
Being a casual round at a new course for everyone on the card I would have voted you in bounds. Everyone read the sign and agreed up it before throwing so I don't see that changing upon happening across a yellow string that may or may not have been OB in a tournament round. Benefit of the doubt goes to the player so I say in bounds for your casual round.

In a tournament if the yellow string was indeed Out of Bounds, which makes it easier for everyone to determine in/out, it would have been announced in Player meeting and/or noted on OB sheet (if there was one).

The TD would make it clear the string is OB in a tournament. Being a new course you all agreed the Water and over was OB per the sign so I think your group should have stuck to the agreed upon rule prior to making throws.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-16-2018, 06:06 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.3
Courses Played: 355
Niced 1,604 Times in 790 Posts

Did you find a balloon or a kite at one end of the string? If so, probably not an OB line.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 129 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
I suggested to them that the OB could be a moving line (water) in this case. I was pretty much unanimously scoffed at.
Interesting that your group scoffed at the idea. From reading the rules forum here and listening to the the pro tour coverage commentary, using waters edge as the ob boundary isn't that unusual a practice for your group to have not heard of it. Though it does also seem to be widely disliked as a practice for the reasons others have listed.

My initial gut reaction answer to your question was "but that's not fair, the sign said water.....". The appearance of the yellow string muddies the waters. Should have told the group to pick a champion and offered to wrestle them for the stroke.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2018, 03:38 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 45 Times in 29 Posts

I think you had a legitimate argument. You stated that the group didn't know that the yellow rope was there at the time you threw. This means that everyone agreed to follow the sign. Your shot was in bounds to me.

However this was a casual round so I'll fill it under "doesn't matter".

Old 04-17-2018, 02:08 PM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 514
Niced 656 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Hi folks. I have a question about a tee sign I came upon recently during a casual game. The hole has a stream behind the basket. On the tee sign it reads: "Water and beyond is OB" My shot landed by the stream but was clearly not in contact with water. However, it did go slightly past a yellow string that at first we did not realize was even there (new course for the group). My group determined that I was OB based on the yellow string. I think we did that correct based on official tournament rules, but would you guys say that the tee sign is inaccurate?

To me it simply looks like this: Sign says "Water and beyond is OB." Disc is not in water nor beyond, thus in bounds based on the sign.

I made this argument and was accused of having an unreasonable interpretation of the sign's intentions. Fine, I'll take the extra stroke, but was my interpretation of the sign really unreasonable? My group thinks so but I'd like to hear some impartial opinions from the community on this one. Greatly appreciated.

-Adam

The tee sign was accurate for everyday play. Your interpretation was not unreasonable, but your group certainly was! You may want to rethink playing with a group that will change the rules mid round - especially after agreeing how a hole will be played.

Niced: (2)