Old 06-03-2018, 10:05 PM

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Interference with a Throw

At a recent tournament a friend threw a shot and her disc hit another player’s bag who had moved in front of her. The other players on the card assessed a 2 stroke penalty on the other player. The other player, a teenage boy, threw a fit and continued to cry and yell for the rest of the round. Between rounds, the TD reversed the two stroke penalty because she hadn’t asked him to move there was no clear language in the rule book for the penalty. Just wondering what the correct ruling is in this situation.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2018, 10:14 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 681
Niced 1,493 Times in 676 Posts

Looks like a courtesy violation but only if group determines the player had their equipment forward of the thrower, even if the thrower didn't ask the player to move it.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 45
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

What Chuck said. Curtesy violation at best for the incident unless asked prior to throw to move equipment, unless interference was done intentional balky then other rules would apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2018, 08:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,371 Times in 1,420 Posts

The operative word in the interference rule when it comes to penalizing another player is "intentional". Unless the kid put his bag down intentionally to deflect the disc, there's no call for the 2-throw penalty in that situation. Kid was right to be pissed, though yelling and crying probably wasn't the way to go.

TD was correct to reverse the call, though not correct in his reasons for it. Failing to ask for the bag to be removed isn't a factor at all. The player has the right to ask for it to be moved (and the owner is obligated to comply) but there is no obligation to ask and no consequences for not asking.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.3
Courses Played: 355
Niced 1,604 Times in 790 Posts

No need to be pissed if you know how to appeal:

Quote:
Official Rules of Disc Golf
801.03 Appeals
Last updated: Friday, December 1, 2017 - 10:34
B. A player may appeal a group decision to an Official, or an Official's decision to the Director, by clearly and promptly stating that desire to the group. If an Official or the Director is readily available, the group may stand aside and allow other groups to play through while the appeal is being heard.
C. If an Official or Director is not readily available, the thrower may make a set of provisional throws for each additional possible outcome of the ruling, and later appeal the ruling to an Official or to the Director when practical.
There's no need for arguing or bad feelings. Just announce you are going to appeal it, make provisional throws if needed, and play on.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,113 Times in 1,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
The operative word in the interference rule when it comes to penalizing another player is "intentional". Unless the kid put his bag down intentionally to deflect the disc, there's no call for the 2-throw penalty in that situation. Kid was right to be pissed, though yelling and crying probably wasn't the way to go.

TD was correct to reverse the call, though not correct in his reasons for it. Failing to ask for the bag to be removed isn't a factor at all. The player has the right to ask for it to be moved (and the owner is obligated to comply) but there is no obligation to ask and no consequences for not asking.
The line of thought is, if I ask you to move your bag and you don't, and my throw hits it, your interference was intentional. Otherwise, it's accidental.

The rule says something to the effect that you shouldn't place your equipment where it may be an obstruction. But a strict interpretation of that would mean you could never set your bag down, because it always might be an obstruction, depending on what crazy things the disc does.

My bag was hit by a rollaway from another hole, 200' away, in a direction I would never have expected. Should I have avoided that?

Absent a request, it seems the courtesy violation should have an element of reasonableness about it.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:36 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 681
Niced 1,493 Times in 676 Posts

Is a disc or mini marker considered "equipment" subject to interference rules? Say I want to throw a roller or skip shot and there's a player's disc near the line I'm planning to throw. That player can mark their lie with a mini if I ask. But can they still be subject to intentional interference if my shot hits their mini and I don't like where my disc lands?
Old 06-04-2018, 09:40 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 499 Times in 234 Posts

TWO stroke penalty? I would have been asked to leave for bad language if someone hit me for 2 strokes for that! LOL!!

I mean seriously- she obviously threw a terrible shot and then basically blamed the kid- and if the bag was sitting there before she threw she could have easily asked him to move it. I wonder if she sues people whose car she hits in the parking lot too! I would have been pissed if I was that kid. If that isn't the case, you're going to have to share a lot more details. She hit a bag that was *on the ground*. Shame on her and shame on the rest of the "adults" on the card. Even IF the kid was a huge tool a crap throw is a crap throw is a crap throw is a crap throw. Deal with it and move on with your life.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 499 Times in 234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Is a disc or mini marker considered "equipment" subject to interference rules? Say I want to throw a roller or skip shot and there's a player's disc near the line I'm planning to throw. That player can mark their lie with a mini if I ask. But can they still be subject to intentional interference if my shot hits their mini and I don't like where my disc lands?

Apparently the go-to move is to berate the person whose gear your errant shot hit, over-penalize them and rub all that sanctimonious externalization of blame into your skin until fully absorbed. Only then can your terrible shot be 100% someone else's fault!

So yeah, if it doesn't go into the basket it's all their fault apparently!

Last edited by DoWork; 06-04-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,717 Times in 749 Posts

No penalty at all for being forward of the other player's lie and putting your stuff in the way- only one penalized is the thrower who loses distance despite doing nothing wrong other than throwing a shot that hit stuff that should not have been there in the first place.