#1  
Old 06-13-2018, 01:32 PM
ALT-J ALT-J is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 12
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Weight shift direction

I find it really hard to shift my weight directly towards the the target and my weight shift happens more or less right to left. The direction is something like clock 10 or 11 when the target is at clock 12. When I try to make it straight it really messes up my timing and balance. I can hit my lines fairly well with my current weight shift but I also shank my shots right sometimes. Is this a bad habit I should try to get rid of?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-13-2018, 01:37 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 198
Posts: 12,631
Niced 1,181 Times in 795 Posts
Default

Technically the only thing that matters is whether or not you get properly braced and balanced on the front leg.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-13-2018, 03:40 PM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,130
Niced 1,261 Times in 855 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Technically the only thing that matters is whether or not you get properly braced and balanced on the front leg.
So as long as you have a good straight momentum carry...like all 3 steps of the X-step carry you down the same line and there isn't a sway to the side, it's fine to stride a little right to left on the teepad for a shot that would be straight relative to the teepad?

For example McBeth carries himself slightly left relative to his aim apex, whereas Pierce is straight down her aim line. Both have elite form.

What part of body positioning determines those who stride to the side a bit compared to straight in line?



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-13-2018, 04:26 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 198
Posts: 12,631
Niced 1,181 Times in 795 Posts
Default

McBeth and PP are both striding fairly straight to their apex. Paul is throwing a left to right shot and PP is throwing a right to left shot.

Brinster and Lizotte are examples of striding right to left for most of their shots. It can add more rotation/torque to the throw when done properly.


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2018, 04:31 PM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,130
Niced 1,261 Times in 855 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Brinster and Lizotte are examples of striding right to left for most of their shots. It can add more rotation/torque to the throw when done properly.
Is this a case of best to throw a bunch in the open field, feel where the consistent/powerful hit point is, and adjust stride direction from there?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2018, 05:11 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 198
Posts: 12,631
Niced 1,181 Times in 795 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Is this a case of best to throw a bunch in the open field, feel where the consistent/powerful hit point is, and adjust stride direction from there?
It's basically just a more turned back backswing like a quasi-360. The hit point should always be the same.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:11 PM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,130
Niced 1,261 Times in 855 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
It's basically just a more turned back backswing like a quasi-360. The hit point should always be the same.
So the farther they are trying to throw, the more right to left they may stride in relation to apex aim? Since that would allow for further turn back?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-13-2018, 08:30 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 198
Posts: 12,631
Niced 1,181 Times in 795 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
So the farther they are trying to throw, the more right to left they may stride in relation to apex aim? Since that would allow for further turn back?
Generally. It helps plant more closed which helps create more swing space by getting the rear side of the body more out of the way, and it creates more redirection/arc/acceleration(as long as you don't hug yourself).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-14-2018, 01:48 PM
HyzerUniBomber's Avatar
HyzerUniBomber HyzerUniBomber is offline
*Moderator*
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,764
Niced 208 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
(as long as you don't hug yourself).
Which is harder to do than you'd think... that upper arm will collapse and screw up your line without real mastery.

I'm heading to WV next week - SW, will you be around the 21st? Might have a window to hit seneca before my flight.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 06-14-2018, 03:25 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 198
Posts: 12,631
Niced 1,181 Times in 795 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
Which is harder to do than you'd think... that upper arm will collapse and screw up your line without real mastery.

I'm heading to WV next week - SW, will you be around the 21st? Might have a window to hit seneca before my flight.
Not really hard, just not intuitive, need to trust weird new feeling.


I’ll might be around the 21st.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.