Old 01-17-2020, 10:27 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 32 Times in 13 Posts

I used rFrance's design. The more surface area that touches the magnet the more force you need.

I was originally using a bolt that covered 80 percent the surface area of the magnet. I could only get it to snap 1 out of 10 times.

I have a bolt now that covers about 40 percent with a nut screwed to the end. I now achieve the snap 8 out of 10 times. This seems to be a good balance. When I get 10 out of 10 consistently I will remove the nut.

Maybe one day I will make it up to the high surface area bolt!

Very cool. I like that it has the ability to make it more and more difficult.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 01-18-2020, 11:37 AM

Niced 18 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
I stopped at the hardware store and picked up some threaded pvc with nuts. I bought metal caps to cover the openings. The magnet sticks to the cap, so no glue or adhesives needed.

Unfortunately, I bought 1/8 inch thick neo magnets which seem to be way too strong unless I put the magnet on the outside of the cap. Even then, I need a strong weight shift to get the screw to release. Fun stuff.
What did you use/where did you get the metal caps? I found the threaded PVC w/ nuts and magnets at Home Depot, but couldn't find anything to use as a metal cap
Old 01-18-2020, 12:04 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 32 Times in 13 Posts

I used a metal washer with a small hole. about 17cents

Niced: (1)
Old 01-19-2020, 04:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 649 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanrockmoran View Post
What did you use/where did you get the metal caps? I found the threaded PVC w/ nuts and magnets at Home Depot, but couldn't find anything to use as a metal cap
I can’t find them online but they were in the hardware drawers at ACE. You are probably better off with a washer like Scoopa said. The caps I bought were over a dollar each and starting to dent.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 28
Niced 448 Times in 255 Posts

The metal caps look like what I've used before to nail down roofing tar paper. Might need to use 2 or 3 on an end but they were pennies a piece.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 45
Niced 649 Times in 321 Posts

This tool has helped me more than I was expecting. I have gotten much better at shifting from behind and have improved my left leg balance. I also incorporated the swim move. I’ve even been able to get the screw to release with the magnet on the inside which I thought was nearly impossible a few weeks ago. Instant feedback makes it much easier to tweak your form.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
This tool has helped me more than I was expecting. I have gotten much better at shifting from behind and have improved my left leg balance. I also incorporated the swim move. I’ve even been able to get the screw to release with the magnet on the inside which I thought was nearly impossible a few weeks ago. Instant feedback makes it much easier to tweak your form.
Last week I was able to hear that I was getting the "snap" before the top of the wrist extension. I was able to easily adjust my rhythm to coordinate the "snap" and peak wrist extension. I carry one in my practice bag and one in my course bag to use for occasional warm up swing on the tee.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 71
Niced 537 Times in 283 Posts

I finally got around to making one of these. I already had some PVC pipe and magnet, and didn't feel like stopping at the store so I printed up an end to fit the pipe and hold the square magnet that I had.

The magnet is an old hard drive magnet and ridiculously strong, so I tapered the screw to a point, and added a nut for extra momentum.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:51 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 128
Niced 55 Times in 27 Posts

Thanks @RFrance for the OP - I made one according to your plan, but couldn't get it to snap at all. So I changed the 1/4 20 to a slightly smaller bolt, to decrease the surface area. Works great!

I made a second one using the 1/4 20, in hopes that I'll work up to it...

Old 02-06-2020, 12:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyooMac View Post
Thanks @RFrance for the OP - I made one according to your plan, but couldn't get it to snap at all. So I changed the 1/4 20 to a slightly smaller bolt, to decrease the surface area. Works great!

I made a second one using the 1/4 20, in hopes that I'll work up to it...
I think that is the big advantage of Mocheez's design with the screw top. Easy to swap in a different screw weight or size.