Old 05-29-2020, 06:16 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 704
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,057 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
If you're aiming at the backboard, than a shot that misses your target short still has a chance at going in.

The farther you are off your mark, the lower the chance your putt should have to stick.
Layups, foul shots and game winning, floater bank shots by Lebron James and others are all skillful shots using the backboard.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2020, 06:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,605 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
Where is Raptor's Roost?
Near your neck of the woods- outside Gordonsville on the old Shenandoah Crossing Golf Course. Not quite officially open but soon. I am letting some players play a couple days a week currently. In the long run we will have 2 full courses with 3 tees and 2 permanent baskets each (one of these is in now), 9 hole tiki course with 2 sets of tees (in now), dedicated disc golf pro shop (within a month), and bar and grill (hopefully by fall).

Niced: (2)
Old 05-29-2020, 06:52 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 259 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Layups, foul shots and game winning, floater bank shots by Lebron James and others are all skillful shots using the backboard.
Right, that's exactly my point. In those situations you are aiming at the backboard. You shouldn't be rewarded because your putt was so offline that it hits something else and redirects in.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:29 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 704
Niced 2,057 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Right, that's exactly my point. In those situations you are aiming at the backboard. You shouldn't be rewarded because your putt was so offline that it hits something else and redirects in.
It's not offline if you intended to aim where you might get help from the bar.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:47 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
It's not offline if you intended to aim where you might get help from the bar.
But it is offline if you aim into the basket, miss, and doink off the bar right into the basket...

I'm not saying you can't use the bars to help you putt. You definitely could and would depending on your angle.

But those bars would cause some putts to be made even though the putt was so far offline that it would've been a miss on a traditional basket.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:47 AM
Par Member

Niced 94 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
But it is offline if you aim into the basket, miss, and doink off the bar right into the basket...

I'm not saying you can't use the bars to help you putt. You definitely could and would depending on your angle.

But those bars would cause some putts to be made even though the putt was so far offline that it would've been a miss on a traditional basket.
A gust of wind can help a misfired putt. A friendly bounce off a tree can gift an ace. An unexpected skip can too.

Should DG be played in the vacuum of space?
Old 05-30-2020, 09:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.1
Courses Played: 145
Niced 465 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post

Then I'd get to throw over 400 feet. YES.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-30-2020, 11:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 133
Niced 851 Times in 391 Posts

As much as we'd like to try, we can't engineer flukiness out of disc golf.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:06 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
A gust of wind can help a misfired putt. A friendly bounce off a tree can gift an ace. An unexpected skip can too.

No

But putting deflecting devices attached to the basket with the intention of deflecting offline discs away from the basket will also deflect a lot of offline discs into the basket. I'm sure it would start making us shape our putts and give us a extra challenge, but it would also increase the "lucky bounce" factor by A LOT.

How many times a year do you ace when kicking off a tree? Like 2? And how many times a year do you throw a putt that barely catches chains, but would have been deflected into the basket if there was a bar deflector? A LOT more than 2. See what I'm getting at?

I would love to see this tested, and if what I am saying is wrong than I will happily change my opinion. I'm just guessing that people, especially professionals, won't like an increase in the luck factor when putting.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.3
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,673 Times in 642 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

This concept would eliminate a lot of that. Bring the bar into the chains so it does not stick out past them. It does not have to be a constant bow or the bow could be lower than center so high hits gets knocked out. Details could be worked out to make this possible.
It can't be made perfectly, nothing can. You can find fault with any modification, just like we can find fault with every basket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
What if the bowed bars were mounted similar to this? They wouldn't have to stick out as far as my rough drawing shows but I think this could be a better option.

Quote:

No

But putting deflecting devices attached to the basket with the intention of deflecting offline discs away from the basket will also deflect a lot of offline discs into the basket. I'm sure it would start making us shape our putts and give us a extra challenge, but it would also increase the "lucky bounce" factor by A LOT.

How many times a year do you ace when kicking off a tree? Like 2? And how many times a year do you throw a putt that barely catches chains, but would have been deflected into the basket if there was a bar deflector? A LOT more than 2. See what I'm getting at?

I would love to see this tested, and if what I am saying is wrong than I will happily change my opinion. I'm just guessing that people, especially professionals, won't like an increase in the luck factor when putting.