Old 02-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 560 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
on a 60% throw does a lighter understable disc turnover more/easier than a heavier disc?

TripleB
It really depends on the mold. Some disc molds don't really lose much stability when you lower the weight, especially not in the small weight differences you mentioned. It also depends on what 60% power is for you. I have a max weight Tursas, and at 60% power, I would say it is probably goes very straight with just a little turn. But to be fair, I don't really throw it very often at all, much less at 60%. It is a great understable disc though, and I would recommend it to anyone.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-06-2018, 08:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Just messing with ya, 3B. I shared your chase for magical discs for a while and still do somewhat. I daresay you probably have a shortish turnover disc laying around somewhere. Do you still have a Comet? That's my turnover mid of choice.

I've been playing about a year longer than you. FH has come easier for me due to a baseball background. Been working on form and have just now begun to consistently push BH drives past 320'.

If you work on your FH, you'll be better at it a month from now than you are today. Probably 50% of my shots are FH, I'd be lost without it. Most of my FH upshots are stand still so I'd practice those to begin with.
No worries! To be honest I tried the Comet in three different plastics because at one time I really loved that disc...it turned over slightly but not as much as I was needing on a couple holes at one of my local courses. So it end up falling in between my Truth and my Stratus.

My favorite turnover disc is my 170g DX Mirage...love that thing...seems to give me the perfect amount of turnover no matter if I'm at a 30% throw or a 90% throw. If I could just find that same disc in a longer flying version.

I think my forehand will come pretty easily when I start working on it but my trouble is that I throw a RHBH but a LHFH (nope, can't even make a RHFH or a LHBH resemble a disc golf shot) so the flights tend to be exactly the same no matter which way I throw the disc.

TripleB
Old 02-06-2018, 11:12 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 41
Niced 803 Times in 452 Posts

To echo in on the 60% thing...everyone's 60 is different. Not to mention the only time most people throw 60% or less is due to it being a short approach - which you more often than not won't use a midrange on. Yes typically a lightweight disc will react to powering down better than a heavier one will, but it depends if you're comparing the same molds/plastics/etc.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:17 AM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 169
Niced 2,525 Times in 1,168 Posts

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to thank you for your input!

Definitely going for the Tursas in the VIP plastic...just trying to decide 166g or 169g or 171g.

I know it's only 3-5 grams difference but strange question here: on a 60% throw does a lighter understable disc turnover more/easier than a heavier disc?

There are a couple places on my new home course where I tend to end up, needing an understable disc to turn for me at 50-60% power.

Thanks again for the comparison between the Tursas and Warrant!

TripleB
Yes unless the lighter disc has a freakishly higher PLH than the heavier disc of the same mold. Lighter is easier to get up to speed = easier to turn over.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:03 AM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,367 Times in 1,726 Posts

Quote:
My favorite turnover disc is my 170g DX Mirage...love that thing...seems to give me the perfect amount of turnover no matter if I'm at a 30% throw or a 90% throw. If I could just find that same disc in a longer flying version.
Have you tried a Manta?
Old 02-07-2018, 03:46 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Have you tried a Manta?
Yes, I have one in 175g and 171g. I absolutely love the flight of it but it has such an amazing glide on it that I had a hard time controlling the distance with it.

I ended up ordering a 169g Tursas to round out my new, 9 discs only, bag...see signature.

TripleB

Old 02-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 18
Niced 560 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I have one in 175g and 171g. I absolutely love the flight of it but it has such an amazing glide on it that I had a hard time controlling the distance with it.

I ended up ordering a 169g Tursas to round out my new, 9 discs only, bag...see signature.

TripleB
Keep us updated with how you like it. Make sure to include your distances as well. There may be a player that comes along later who is in a similar position to you that you experience could be helpful.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 562 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:

TripleB
Tagging you here 3B - how did that tursas turn (pun intended) out?
Old 05-08-2018, 10:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 932 Times in 646 Posts

Yeah that is like a broken in Comet with a touch more late stability if you have one that might fill that anhyzer role for you. I should put mine back in the bag

Old 05-09-2018, 07:29 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Tagging you here 3B - how did that tursas turn (pun intended) out?
It didn't I haven't roughed it up throwing it into trees or anything yet, but for me it's a straight flyer. I'm not sure if I got an odd ball more stable than it should be disc, or my arm speed just isn't fast enough for me, or I should have ordered lighter, or what...but it turns to the right so I think it's going to do exactly what I want but then it fades back to the left, ending up straight to where I was aiming. Craziest disc I've ever tried. Love the plastic, love the feel, but the flight just isn't what I was expecting. I've gone back to my Fuse until I get my Theory in to try for that understable mid spot.

TripleB