Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

View Poll Results: Which disc is your longest bomber?
Raider 1 6.25%
Destroyer 2 12.50%
Shryke 9 56.25%
Sheriff 1 6.25%
Zeus 0 0%
Boss 2 12.50%
Colossus 0 0%
Katana 1 6.25%
Ballista 0 0%
Captain 0 0%
Nuke 1 6.25%
Crank 0 0%
Tern 1 6.25%
Havoc 1 6.25%
Other, list 1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2019, 08:50 PM

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Shryke vs Sheriff

Just bought 2 Zeuses to see if they can take over for my Sheriff for hyzer-flip max distance throws (the Sheriff is a bit too flippy) but I am always looking at new discs to get/try and am intrigued by the Shryke. Basically I am looking for a less stable Raider, a high speed disc that will go right but still hyzer back predictably.

Who has thrown both the Shryke and Sheriff?

I can throw about 450' max with the Sheriff currently but a typical drive goes more around 400, or a bit over, with other more stable discs. As far as plastics are concerned, my Sheriff is Fuzion and would be getting a Star Shryke 170-175gm.

Thank you for your insight
Sponsored Links

Last edited by aarontpx; 08-04-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:37 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 28 Times in 22 Posts

I've owned two sheriffs and two shrkyes as well as thrown a few shots with the raider (very limited)

Bio sheriff was understable out of the box [-2, 1.5]

Lucid sheriff was perfect out of the box [-1, 2]

First shryke I owned was 170g domey star. Flew identical to the lucid sheriff new, and is now beat to [-3, 1]

between those two (lucid sheriff, star shyke) it came down to feel over which one to bag because of the similar flight path.

New shryke that I carry now is Star penned 175 (scalled 177/78) with an giant pop-top dome. This flies probably [-1.5, 1] and absolutely bombs for me. Comparing this one to the few Raider shots I threw I would say it would have slightly more flip-drift initially and break into a bomber, I've heard you need to find the domey shrykes for stability and glide, which both of mine have been.

For distance reference in fieldwork, raiders roughly 380 ish, shrykes can push a little over 400 in the right wind. sheriffs have a few throws in the 425+ range at courses in Emporia.

When it came down to it I chose shryke because I felt more confident that it wouldn't turn and burn if I released it too flat.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-04-2019, 09:49 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarontpx View Post
Just bought 2 Zeuses to see if they can take over for my Sheriff for hyzer-flip max distance throws (the Sheriff is a bit too flippy) but I am always looking at new discs to get/try and am intrigued by the Shryke. Basically I am looking for a less stable Raider, a high speed disc that will go right but still hyzer back predictably.

Who has thrown both the Shryke and Sheriff?

I can throw about 450' max with the Sheriff currently but a typical drive goes more around 400, or a bit over, with other more stable discs. As far as plastics are concerned, my Sheriff is Fuzion and would be getting a Star Shryke 170-175gm.

Thank you for your insight
I've bagged both and I like both. I went from the Sheriff to the Trespass, then later began bagging lightweight Shrykes, which are in my wheelhouse right now. The Shryke is a little more understable than the Sheriff, but a Fuzion Sheriff will season in well. My other concern about the Sheriff is availability, while Shrykes are pretty plentiful in many plastics and weights.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-04-2019, 09:56 PM

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHaavisto View Post
I've owned two sheriffs and two shrkyes as well as thrown a few shots with the raider (very limited)

Bio sheriff was understable out of the box [-2, 1.5]

Lucid sheriff was perfect out of the box [-1, 2]

First shryke I owned was 170g domey star. Flew identical to the lucid sheriff new, and is now beat to [-3, 1]

between those two (lucid sheriff, star shyke) it came down to feel over which one to bag because of the similar flight path.

New shryke that I carry now is Star penned 175 (scalled 177/78) with an giant pop-top dome. This flies probably [-1.5, 1] and absolutely bombs for me. Comparing this one to the few Raider shots I threw I would say it would have slightly more flip-drift initially and break into a bomber, I've heard you need to find the domey shrykes for stability and glide, which both of mine have been.

For distance reference in fieldwork, raiders roughly 380 ish, shrykes can push a little over 400 in the right wind. sheriffs have a few throws in the 425+ range at courses in Emporia.

When it came down to it I chose shryke because I felt more confident that it wouldn't turn and burn if I released it too flat.
I have a Bio Sheriff that was a str8 roller right out of the box. I rarely bag that one but for a very few courses. Now that my Sheriff is fairly seasoned it just flips too much. I had originally wanted to get a new Fuzion Sheriff but they are very hard to find...so I went with a pair of Zeuses which will actually be arriving tomorrow. But like I said in the OP I am always looking for new discs to try/buy (at last count I have about 80 discs lying around). Probably gonna have to pick up a max weight Shryke now though! Time to start scouring Ebay etc for a good color/stamp combo!
Old 08-04-2019, 10:04 PM

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I've bagged both and I like both. I went from the Sheriff to the Trespass, then later began bagging lightweight Shrykes, which are in my wheelhouse right now. The Shryke is a little more understable than the Sheriff, but a Fuzion Sheriff will season in well. My other concern about the Sheriff is availability, while Shrykes are pretty plentiful in many plastics and weights.
I have 2 Bio Trespasses and they are both pretty beefy. They are almost as stable as my Bio Defenders, thus I put them in my backup bag/pile

Ideally I am looking for a 12-13 speed that flies | 6 | -2 | 3 | ... maybe not right off the shelf but close
Old 08-04-2019, 10:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
I have 2 Bio Trespasses and they are both pretty beefy. They are almost as stable as my Bio Defenders, thus I put them in my backup bag/pile

Ideally I am looking for a 12-13 speed that flies | 6 | -2 | 3 | ... maybe not right off the shelf but close
That's interesting that you find the Trespasses beefier. I have thrown some that only had a -1 or so turn out of the box, but typically I think they have a bit more flip than a Sheriff with a less hooking late fade...more sweeping. That said the Sheriff does get a decent amount of flip early in flight if it's beat in or if you hit it extremely hard. In comparison I think the Trespass has a slower/gradual turn but for a longer % of its flight and the fade is more sweeping bringing back, so overall it's a more neutral flight and it's a little more controllable than the Sheriff for me because of that. The Sheriff gets a wide drift if it's turned over but then really will come back late if it has the chance.

I've only thrown a couple of fresh star Shrykes and they were all more OS than I expected. I only got like a -0.5 turn out of them, they flew like a fresh stable Wraith for me but with noticeably higher speed. I can say they are more stable than the Fuzion or Lucid Sheriffs I have thrown, but I don't know how they beat in. I have tried one Gstar Shryke and it was very very flippy so I would think that is an anomaly, as it had zero relation to the star Shrykes I have thrown.

You throw hard and you said you have a couple of Bio Defenders...perhaps give them some time as your OS disc in the bag so they beat in. The Defender in that plastic will pick up some turn but still have a pretty guaranteed late fade. If you like throwing your distance drives hard and flat, or forcing over a bit of a flex line, then you may like this option as you'll be able to trust the late fade pretty well. Something like a Sheriff you're always questioning mid-flight if it's going to come out of it unless you didn't let it turn way over. I don't think the Defender would beat in to be your longest disc, but you may like a worked in one if you're seeking something that maintains a 3ish fade and still goes far.

Have you thrown a Gstar Destroyer?

Old 08-04-2019, 10:46 PM

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
That's interesting that you find the Trespasses beefier. I have thrown some that only had a -1 or so turn out of the box, but typically I think they have a bit more flip than a Sheriff with a less hooking late fade...more sweeping. That said the Sheriff does get a decent amount of flip early in flight if it's beat in or if you hit it extremely hard. In comparison I think the Trespass has a slower/gradual turn but for a longer % of its flight and the fade is more sweeping bringing back, so overall it's a more neutral flight and it's a little more controllable than the Sheriff for me because of that. The Sheriff gets a wide drift if it's turned over but then really will come back late if it has the chance.

I've only thrown a couple of fresh star Shrykes and they were all more OS than I expected. I only got like a -0.5 turn out of them, they flew like a fresh stable Wraith for me but with noticeably higher speed. I can say they are more stable than the Fuzion or Lucid Sheriffs I have thrown, but I don't know how they beat in. I have tried one Gstar Shryke and it was very very flippy so I would think that is an anomaly, as it had zero relation to the star Shrykes I have thrown.

You throw hard and you said you have a couple of Bio Defenders...perhaps give them some time as your OS disc in the bag so they beat in. The Defender in that plastic will pick up some turn but still have a pretty guaranteed late fade. If you like throwing your distance drives hard and flat, or forcing over a bit of a flex line, then you may like this option as you'll be able to trust the late fade pretty well. Something like a Sheriff you're always questioning mid-flight if it's going to come out of it unless you didn't let it turn way over. I don't think the Defender would beat in to be your longest disc, but you may like a worked in one if you're seeking something that maintains a 3ish fade and still goes far.

Have you thrown a Gstar Destroyer?
My 2 Tresspasses are likely anomalies but they are just too overstable to be useful since I throw many other stable/overstable discs. Headwind and big hyzer shots I use the Enforcer or Defender depending. If I don't need big distance I will use my Lucid-X Convict which is very stable.

As far as beating in my Bio Defenders, the 2 I bag are fairly beat in (over 2 seasons now) and are still very close to the factory flight ratings of | 0 | 3 |. I have only had my Raiders since earlier this year, obviously, so they really haven't had a chance to beat in much. It is quite possible they will eventually get flippy enough to use for big hyzer-flip bombs but I am too impatient. I need immediate gratification!

I switched from Bosses/Destroyers/Xcals (which I used for many years) to Sheriffs/Defenders/Enforcers 2 seasons ago, and this year added the Raider. So I have a lot of experience with Destroyers though not in Gstar. How much less stable are Gstar Destroyers than regular Star? TBH I personally found that Bosses turned right more for me than Destroyers ever did, though again I only threw them in Star (never liked Champion). In fact the only Gstar disc I ever bagged was the Krait.

Last edited by aarontpx; 08-04-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:50 PM

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

I would like to add that the consistency of discs by all brands seems to be somewhat lacking
Old 08-04-2019, 11:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
So I have a lot of experience with Destroyers though not in Gstar. How much less stable are Gstar Destroyers than regular Star? TBH I personally found that Bosses turned right more for me than Destroyers ever did, though again I only threw them in Star (never liked Champion). In fact the only Gstar disc I ever bagged was the Krait.
Far less stable in Gstar than Star. I haven't thrown recent runs but all the ones I have tried are long flyers. Of the ones I have thrown, domey ones have tons of glide but aren't beefy like domey star Destroyers...I imagine you'd have to look at PLH though. But I have thrown flatter Gstar Destroyers that turn too quickly, again this is a generalization on just a few. I have thrown far more star than Gstar Destoyers.

But every Gstar Destroyer I have thrown goes very far and is less stable than Star. I would look into trying a domey Gstar if you do like Destroyers and are ok with that plastic, it's definitely a distance Destroyer. Probably a 12/5/-1.5/2.5 flight but of course there's so much variation in Destroyers.

I agree with you that Bosses beat in to turn way more than Destroyers. I like that Destroyers fly a tighter line.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:

If you want that flight pattern, then you're probably looking at the Shryke.

Side note: take those Bio Trespasses to the range (schoolyard or wherever you practice), and throw them a lot. One-disc rounds with them in the woods. That will help season them in, which they WILL do, and fairly quickly, with lots of use.