Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-29-2019, 02:59 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 994 Times in 652 Posts

One fairway mold(Stag), one CD mold(Firebird or Flare), two DD(War horse and Emperor)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2019, 03:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Niced 209 Times in 138 Posts

Speed 7 (Teebird, Eagle) and Speed 9 (Valkyrie). I play them as if they would be in the same class.

The Felon, which is my utility disc, shows that it is a faster disc, the Valkyrie does not -- I mean in character, not in distance.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:44 PM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

I'm bagging 3 drones (big z, esp, Ti), a z predator, proto anax, big z crank, proto kong, 3 destroyers of different stability, an enforcer, and a 10yr boss for my driver mix.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2019, 04:14 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 320 Times in 191 Posts

I don't throw any distance drivers. Teebird is as fast as I go
Old 08-29-2019, 04:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 415 Times in 304 Posts

I've got a pair of Stalkers (Z and Ti) for my fairways, a Z Raptor, Z Heat, 2 Ti Undertakers, and a Proto Anax for control, and then a Z Force, Z Crank, Ti Thrasher, and Proto Kong for distance.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 59 Times in 39 Posts

I carry the three classes you mentioned: Fairway (6/7 speed), Control (8/9), and Distance (10+). I conceptualize these as Utility OS, OS, Stable, US, & Utility US. While I could fill each box created from this matrix (15 slots), I clearly don't. There is either overlap or I honestly don't having the skill/power to use them.
Fairway: N Resistor - N Crave - N Relay - ESP Sting (OS - St - US - Utility US)
Control: Z Raptor - P Volt - E Volt (Utility OS - OS - St)
Distance: Z Thrasher - ESP Thrasher (St - US)
Old 08-29-2019, 05:24 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 695 Times in 394 Posts

Teebird (7), Firebird (9), Roadrunner (9), and in the tourney bag I also have a couple Cannons (14). I couldn't care less what they're called and seldom throw the Cannon...Teebird does workhorse well, RR does understable well, and Firebird does overstable well.

I like to treat my bag and discs a lot like soccer or hockey - sometimes a defender overlaps a midfielder or forward and other times a striker might end up somewhere around center mid - or back even farther. What I mean is sometimes I'll throw an overstable mid (Drone) full power and other times I'll gently toss a Firebird....there aren't rules for what a disc HAS to do as far as rules are concerned. Hell sometimes an anny with a Drone is a better shot than a Wasp/Comet/Buzzz/Fuse/whatever due to the fade. Just need to find your skillset and utilize what you can.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-29-2019, 06:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I like speed 7ish for my go to line shaping fairways. I can power them down or up so they can overlap well with my mids or distance drivers. Plus they have less fade than an equivalent stability speed 9 disc so I like them better in the woods. For example I'm meaning Teebird, FD, Leo, TL, etc. class of disc...pick what you like.

I tend to go to the 9 speeds for more OS discs. I can throw a Thunderbird a bit farther than a beefy Teebird so it makes sense to throw that to be closer in distance to my other speed 7's that are more neutral and get easy distance. Same with the really OS stuff like Firebirds, they just work better in speed 9 to cut through wind and skip and things.

I just don't like the speed 9 neutral/US stuff as much as those go almost as far as distance drivers for me but are more touchy in the wind and need more height...I lose noticeable control over the speed 7 neutral stuff and I can't power them down to where my mids cap out as easily. I think this is the most fun class of disc to throw overall, things like SW/RR/Valks, but for the most part I'd rather throw the Leo/FD style disc in the woods if I'm trying to hit lines and minimize mistakes.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 676 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
I go from mids to speed 8/9 to speed 12.

I consider the undertaker a slower control driver at 8 (its marked 9 but flies slower imo). I don't feel like theres a huge unnecessary gap between wasps and 'takers...then predators at 9. On up to hurricanes at 12 for distance.

I do carry avenger SS, but it's really just a specialty disc for rollers and utility forehands.
This. I carry a Thunderbird. The next step up for me is a star Destroyer. I don't have a ton of use for 10 or 11 speed.

I carry a few faster/longer discs for shots the Destroyer can't quite get to. Stuff like a Boss, Nuke, Torrent, Shryke. The Shryke is the longest disc I carry, but definitely not the most accurate. Its used for wide open holes where I want to throw as far as possible.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 29 Times in 23 Posts

Taking a break from distance drivers so my destroyers, shrykes, and gladiators are on the shelf.

I pretty much only bag the "control driver" slot, which consists of:
Criminal, for overstable business
Anax, for distance shots with fade
Culverins, anything from distance to turnover
Valkyries, for flip-ups and turnovers

Toying around with the idea of putting Sparks back in the bag for something a little shorter to nestle between the Buzzz and my main drivers.