Old 03-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 21
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tournament setup

This is my tournament setup. I only played 12 tournaments last year, but plan on stepping it up this upcoming season. I primarily play in the Southern Nationals Disc Golf Series in the Int AM division. When our season is up on May 31th, I will most likely be moving up to advanced.

Just for reference here is my approx distances, these are on golf lines as I know almost nothing about distance lines. I do suffer from nose up issues which I am working on.

Orc - 350
Teebird - 320
Buzz - 280
Aviar - 250

Distance

1 - 167 Star Orc (Flippy)
1 - 172 Star Orc (Straight)
1 - 170 Champion Orc (Healthy fade)
1 - 170 Star Firebird (Fresh)
1 - 170 Star Firebird (Beat up)

Fairway

1 - 172 DX Teebird (Straight)
1 - 172 Star Teebird (Healthy fade)
1 - 172 Star Leopard (Fresh)
1 - 167 Proline Leopard (flippy)

Mids

1 - 174 Z Hornet (overstable)
1 - 175ish Elite X Buzzz (Flippy)
1 - 175ish Bar stamp Buzz (Straight)
1 - 174 Z Buzz (Decent fade)
1 - 170 Z Comet (Straight)
1 - 169 X Comet (Flippy)

Putters
1 - 172 Star Aviar ( Straight but holds lines )
4 - DX Aviars ( From beat up to fresh)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

That looks like a pretty good set-up. The only two things I see is why the three mid molds (Just asking I have three as well) and why so many putters beat in different levels? If your comet and buzz are straight and flippy you could get rid of one.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 21
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMcNair View Post
That looks like a pretty good set-up. The only two things I see is why the three mid molds (Just asking I have three as well) and why so many putters beat in different levels? If your comet and buzz are straight and flippy you could get rid of one.
I use the hornets almost exclusively for knife hyzers, S's and headwind shots. I would be more willing to get rid of the extra buzzz before I would ditch the comets.

I carry the comets because they will hold anhyzers to the ground where the buzzz's will start to bail if I given them enough height. There is probably more overlap with the X buzz and the Z comet. The X comet is almost like a different disc and is definitely my favorite of the 2.

I guess there is a certain level of comfort with the comets, knowing I do not have to nut on them to hold their line to the ground with shots requiring any amount of height.

If I wanted to get real minimalist I would probably drop both the Z Comet and the Z Hornet, assuming I could find a nice Glo Buzzx to fill the overstable mid slot.

Thanks for the comment! If you don't mind, why do you carry 3 mids? I am always interested in hearing why other people make the choices they do.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 84
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

That is what I was wondering exactly. You have a specific use for the comets. I am sure that once your buzzes get beat in more you could if you wanted to drop it.

The three I have is a Cro, Classic Roc, and Gator.

The Cro is my main mid range disc. I use it for everything, it holds the line, and I have two one beat and one newish.

The Classic Roc I use for what most people use their putters for. Like upshots shorter drives and things like that.

The Gator I use like a slower firebird. Pretty much a slower utility disc. It is also a great head wind disc and side arm disc that I can snap the crap out of into any wind and know it will fade back.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 66
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks like a real good setup. Probably a little bit of redundancy in in the mids and putters but as long as you don't struggle with disc selection that's fine.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 624 Times in 235 Posts

I have to disagree (now firsthandedly) with people who say a beat up buzzz replaces an understable mid.

I lost my Fuse during a tournament warm-up round (I know, how stupid...) and my beat CryZtal Buzzz just doesn't do the same thing.

All that said, your bag looks pretty good. Unless you're feeling like you are missing a shot from your bag, then just get out to the field and smooth out those nose up issues and AM1 will be less of a challenge