Old 08-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 105
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's ALL about form!
I got back from Worlds and took a lot of mental notes from the people I played with and determined why they were all throwing further than me. I was able to get my drive out over 400' and more with backhand which was very tough for me before. I had relied on forehand for that kind of D (i'm 17 btw)

Work on reaching back more straight across your chest and then executing a smooth as butter follow through. This is really important. Then work on controlling the angle of release and not throwing nose up. Adjust you grip if need be and work on getting enough snap/spin on a disc when you release.

Focus on getting a smooth release with maybe a one or two step walk up. Too much footwork can be distracting when trying to fix a form issue

Also, just work on getting very familiar with only a few discs. Too many discs can only add problems.
use understable drivers for hyzer flip shots and stable drivers for straight to slight turnover drives. Work up to more overstable stuff (Grooves and Bosses will only hurt your game if you aren't throwing them 375'+)

When I warm up, I throw putters, then mid ranges, then fairway, and then max D stuff.
Im currently getting my Rocs, Coyotes, etc as far as my distance drivers before i worked on all this stuff

Best of luck to you and your game!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 30
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Oso Peligroso View Post
I haven't tried a valkyrie yet, that will probably be my next plastic purchase. My beast is really light and I hate it. I can definitely hold a line very well with any kind of shot, I just can't get it far enough in the open.

You're definitely right about the groove and boss though, I was absolutely awful with those.
Yea the Boss and Groove are very fast but it can go WAY left if you don't have enough a$$ behind it. I throw a groove from time to time, but my long range driver is a Wraith that if the hole is long enough I can air out some 450'+ shots. I know that that you are heading in the right direction though. You know what you have to do, you just need a little bump/ friendly advice from the DGCR community. A guy earlier was talking about the X-Step, and he is absolutely correct. It's just like ball golf when it comes to your hips, crossing your legs over allows you to whip your body and arm around. Thus creating more torque and power, your hand should always be straight so dont bring it back towards you. The snap is created when your hand is straight and then snaps back towards your elbow( if that made any sense at all haha)
Old 08-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizz View Post
Yea the Boss and Groove are very fast but it can go WAY left if you don't have enough a$$ behind it. I throw a groove from time to time, but my long range driver is a Wraith that if the hole is long enough I can air out some 450'+ shots. I know that that you are heading in the right direction though. You know what you have to do, you just need a little bump/ friendly advice from the DGCR community. A guy earlier was talking about the X-Step, and he is absolutely correct. It's just like ball golf when it comes to your hips, crossing your legs over allows you to whip your body and arm around. Thus creating more torque and power, your hand should always be straight so dont bring it back towards you. The snap is created when your hand is straight and then snaps back towards your elbow( if that made any sense at all haha)
actually that makes perfect sense. I always thought of snap as something you put your wrist muscles into but you're saying it more bounces back like a spring?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
actually that makes perfect sense. I always thought of snap as something you put your wrist muscles into but you're saying it more bounces back like a spring?
Exactly. You still have to snap your wrist or at least I do, but only from those 2 positions, straight and then back towards your elbow. The throw and twisting of your body helps of course. It becomes more of a "feel" thing, which I'm sure you know that.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

is there a good video/site that focuses on isolating the snap?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes in fact there is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5uHMoYJ6Q

Just dont listen to the grip part, everyone's grip is different cause everyone's hands are different, just listen about the snap and the technique
Old 08-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 105
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizz View Post
Yes in fact there is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5uHMoYJ6Q

Just dont listen to the grip part, everyone's grip is different cause everyone's hands are different, just listen about the snap and the technique
great video. i was just about to post this
Old 08-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 17
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

love this thread, if I would have posted my problem with driving it would have said the same exact thing. I should get some good advice from this thread also.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

the ball golf swing thing at the end seemed kind of weird but I'll try it out and see what happens either tomorrow or wednesday. the snap portion of that video just confused me further though...

Old 08-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
the ball golf swing thing at the end seemed kind of weird but I'll try it out and see what happens either tomorrow or wednesday. the snap portion of that video just confused me further though...
Just do what feels comfortable, don't try to over do it. I would do exactly as you said go out tomorrow or Wednesday and see how things work out. Let me know how it goes, and give me more detail on certain things you need work on and I will do my best to help you out. Good Luck!