Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 10
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to valkyrie

I was in the same situation you were in. I got my 167 Champ monarch today and WOW! it adds alot of distance to my thrrows.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

without a vid its hard to suggest anything specific, but some good general ideas i would suggest is to try the three finger power grip(same as four finger with the pinkie tucked away) if you have smaller hands the pinkie can dramatically slow your spin down ( im talking 50-100 feet for some people).

another thing that helped me was going to the top of a big hill and learing to throw down instead of up ,what this will do is let you learn to keep the disc lower without fear or the embarrisment of hitting the ground . keeping the disc straight as long as possiable is key if you think how the physics of how a wing on a plane works if you front the wing(disc) is to high your gonna get good lift but your speed will slow drop the front to much and you lose speed and lift , but get it right in the sweet spot and youll get steady lift and will cut through the wind the best getting less drag .
Old 08-18-2009, 02:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 146
Niced 477 Times in 271 Posts

^ great post but how many times do I have to say this, steroids people, A-Rod and Manny can't be wrong! I will say that Valks are great for D but mine is mad nose angle sensitive, throw it anything close to nose up and it goes nowhere. I've been pretty pleased about my Surge I got, it's bringing my distance back up over that 300' pre-injury threshold thank god.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:10 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll recommend the video above as well. It has increased my maximum distance but more importantly I throw farther more consistently with less effort. The wrist snap stuff he talks about is brief but from my experience essential. I changed my grip so that I don't need to squeeze my disc for a firm grip. This loosened my wrist thereby making for a quicker wrist snap (like a spring) which means more spin etc. etc..

I'm still struggling with footwork but when throwing hyzer flips I've found a shortened x-step that works pretty well for me.

Nose down is another issue but I believe it was Zenbot that mentioned his gains by concentrating on angling his wrist down more. I'll be working on that soon.

Oh yeah this article by Dave Dunipace is also very informative. It's a bit of a heavy read but if nothing else read the section about 'tendon bounce'.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resour...esecrets.shtml

Last edited by Traver; 08-18-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:16 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 161 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traver View Post
I'll recommend the video above as well. It has increased my maximum distance but more importantly I throw farther more consistently with less effort. The wrist snap stuff he talks about is brief but from my experience essential. I changed my grip so that I don't need to squeeze my disc for a firm grip. This loosened my wrist thereby making for a quicker wrist snap (like a spring) which means more spin etc. etc..

I'm still struggling with footwork but when throwing hyzer flips I've found a shortened x-step that works pretty well for me.

Nose down is another issue but I believe it was Zenbot that mentioned his gains by concentrating on angling his wrist down more. I'll be working on that soon.

Oh yeah this article by Dave Dunipace is also very informative. It's a bit of a heavy read but if nothing else read the section about 'tendon bounce'.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resour...esecrets.shtml
Indeed that was me. It wasn't a huge gain but I'm throwing 30 feet further by making sure that I look back at my disc in my run-up and making sure when I do the wing of the disc (part of the disc furthest away from you) is pointing down.

Now I have to get new wrist muscles up to par and I'll bet I'll get more progress.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:34 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Indeed that was me. It wasn't a huge gain but I'm throwing 30 feet further by making sure that I look back at my disc in my run-up and making sure when I do the wing of the disc (part of the disc furthest away from you) is pointing down.

Now I have to get new wrist muscles up to par and I'll bet I'll get more progress.

Thirty feet may not be a huge gain but it's certainly significant. If you're throwing 300' then 30' is a 10% increase and that's nothing to scoff at.

I came to the realization after I went through my throw slowly and I realized that when I was pulling near my chest I started to lose my the nose down angle.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 34 Times in 19 Posts

I'd say to concentrate on throwing putters, mids and get some slow fairway drivers in low end plastic (Polaris LS, DX Cheetah, DX Ace, etc.) for learning to throw farther.

The video in this thread on DGR will help a lot too if you go through the drills:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...php?f=2&t=9959
Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 AM

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 119
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Technique and practice.

Practice makes perfect, but one must practice proper techniques to advance. Try your driving technique without actually throwing the disc. Go through the motions until you think you've found something that works. This can save damage to your discs and confidence. Good footwork is a key to success just the same as arm motions. Reach back across your body away from the target and rip it across your body, releasing at a key moment. Timing on the release is critical to getting good spin on the disc. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 22
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

reading the original post I thought I might have posted it without knowing it, it was me to a T. I have found the monarch has increased by drives at least 30'. I'm getting birdies on holes that I never have before.

I think there needs to be driving ranges for discers.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

First off everyone is at different points in their game so don't always listen to disc suggestions.. you'll have to find what works for you. People here always talk about the Wraith like it's a straight or understable disc.. I bought 2 wraiths (167 and 172) and they hook left fast like nobodys business. Yet I threw a Valkyrie (172) the other day 400', my longest throw ever. Throw what feels comfortable to you and don't change discs a lot.

I agree with others the best thing you could do is post video of your drive here. It probably won't have immediate positive results (actually more likely bad results as you change your form) but over time will help your game as you improve your form.