Old 08-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
If I may chime in I think that you're still looking towards the basket which is stunting your efforts to reach back. Your shoulders should almost be perpendicular to the basket in your reach back. I try to actually look at my disc when reaching back. The other thing I noticed is that when you reach back you are arching your arm up. So instead of a straight pull through you have a pendulous thing going on. Try to throw across your chest "nipple to nipple".

I hope that helps a little.
i dont no about looking down at your disc but you should face that direction and you forgot to mention something, that in your jpeg hes throwing with two hands
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 27
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really think you're reading too much into the two hand thing. I really don't always do it and my drives are about the same when I don't.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:50 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 161 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega SuperSloth View Post
i dont no about looking down at your disc but you should face that direction and you forgot to mention something, that in your jpeg hes throwing with two hands
Looking at my disc is just a visual clue that I'm reaching back far enough.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 34 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Oso Peligroso View Post
alright, I have a video here of me driving today. Most of those shots went about 230-250.
I noticed a few things.

You're not rotating your shoulders away from the target at the reach back. You're missing out on a ton of power this way. Without full shoulder rotation your lower body and core won't be able to help out. Grabbing the disc on the reach back can make this part more difficult.

You're starting your pull super high, like head height and ending super low, almost waist level. Your pull should pass right next to (as in super close to) your right pec and should start off lower than that. The high to low pull you have will make throwing nose down pretty much impossible.

You're also starting your acceleration way too early. It's all happening before you get to the mid point in your body so you have no where to go right before the hit, which is where it's most important. Don't worry about accelerating hard until after the disc gets to your right pec. At that point you'll "chop" your elbow (the shoulders and elbow will slow down a lot and your forearm will accelerate quickly).

The combination of timing that chop and pulling close to your chest is how you get "snap" or wrist extension or tendon bounce, whatever you want to call it.

I'll also agree to definitely slow down. Slow everything down. The only time you need to move fast is from the point when the disc gets to your right pec through your follow through.

Definitely spend lots of time doing the drills from the Dan Beto video that's mentioned in most threads. Building your throw this way will fix pretty much everything anyone here has brought up.

Also this:

Quote:
What really kind of annoyed me is that I spent about 2.5 hours just hucking my drivers as hard as I could to get 240 avg and probably 270 tops. After that I played the course and with hardly any effort threw my putter about 210 on another hole.
doesn't sound too off to me. Putters and mids will fly a lot farther than most people realize.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hopefully I'll get a chance to go out tomorrow, although they're calling for pretty awful weather all day. I'll try reaching farther back and slowing down. Sounds like it might just work.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Looking at my disc is just a visual clue that I'm reaching back far enough.
so are you saying you look back at it? if so i guess i need to clarify i was saying you should keep your face forward(not forward at the basket) during the back swing its seems like looking back or down at your disc would slow down your motion. and visualization might only screw u up muscle memory is the way to go imo

watch the beato vid he never looks at the disc he keeps his face forward till right before the release(giggity) im not saying beato is the end all be all but his style is the most prevelent amongst really good players

hey peligroso no offense but what do i know about not using 2 hands i only out throw you by 100ft without using an x-step and sure ive never seen anybody throw with a support hand before and ive played and on occasion beat open and am tourney winners . Maybe you dont see a difference (now)
but there is one and maybe you dont do it all the time but you shouldnt be doing it at all, sorry i assumed just because you were having problems and or you were frustrated with your progress and asked for advice on how to fix that that you wanted to get better and evolve

Old 08-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

alright, some good news today. I was playing at mars hill college today, and no. 18 is about 650' so it seemed like a good time to empty my bag. Well, I tried most of the advice given in this thread my first 3 or 4 drives were about the same as I'd been doing, and basically said to myself "screw it." and just threw without thinking about anything.

I absolutely crushed the fifth drive. It went about 360' (I paced it out twice just to be sure.) It was awesome. After that I seemed to gain a better understanding of the backhand drive and was able to fairly consistently hit 300.

More practice tomorrow, and hopefully more distance.