Old 11-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Geese at the mounds

Yesterday I played Groves Park (aka the mounds) in Oak Ridge, TN. My friends and I show up on the course and nobody's there. Well, except for the several hundred geese. It felt like they followed us the whole time (though they really just stayed in the middle of the course where the lake is, because the course plays back on itself at the turn and the end. It was really peaceful, we never got the vibe we were disturbing them and they weren't disturbing us.

It was a pretty surreal experience. The course itself is beautiful, as it's converted from an old ball golf course. When I stepped on #9's tee pad and saw the geese swimming in the beautiful lake in front of me, with the sun coming in over the hills behind it, I knew I had to go for it, even though I didn't have a chance in hell of getting it across (it's about 500 ft). I didn't make it but it was still one of the best moments of disc golf in my life. Thanks geese!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Geese have been hanging out at the course I frequent. They haven't been in my way....but they do make their presence known...on the ground. Goose droppings cover the course anywhere withing 500' of the water holes.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 59
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Oso Peligroso View Post
Yesterday I played Groves Park (aka the mounds) in Oak Ridge, TN. My friends and I show up on the course and nobody's there. Well, except for the several hundred geese. It felt like they followed us the whole time (though they really just stayed in the middle of the course where the lake is, because the course plays back on itself at the turn and the end. It was really peaceful, we never got the vibe we were disturbing them and they weren't disturbing us.

It was a pretty surreal experience. The course itself is beautiful, as it's converted from an old ball golf course. When I stepped on #9's tee pad and saw the geese swimming in the beautiful lake in front of me, with the sun coming in over the hills behind it, I knew I had to go for it, even though I didn't have a chance in hell of getting it across (it's about 500 ft). I didn't make it but it was still one of the best moments of disc golf in my life. Thanks geese!
You played a hole that is 500ft across the water?
Old 11-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

That was true here too, but it's nothing a rag and shoes can't fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightbiker View Post
You played a hole that is 500ft across the water?
Yeah, I can push 450 on occassion, so there was that chance I could make it. I just had to do it, and it was just an old beater that I inherited.

Last edited by El Oso Peligroso; 11-21-2009 at 12:17 AM.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 10
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to valkyrie

The gesse at the course i play most are annoying. Goose crap EVERYWHERE, on the tee's, parking lot, fairway....and dont even think of playing a few of the watter holes, unless you want to scrape goose crap off ur shoes before you get in the car.