Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 162 Times in 89 Posts

there's a discmania disc literally called the Control Driver (CD and CD2). Drew Gibson and Eric Oakley waxed poetic about the CD2 before switching to trilogy.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-11-2016, 12:33 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 97 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
If you want a disc that is slightly longer and straighter than a Teebird, for long wooded holes, I would suggest a Star TL.

If you're set on a control driver that goes straight, I would look at an Orion LS.
TL;DR: I second this suggestion.

Let me share a different perspective that might offer you a better benefit: get a control driver that is either neutral or slightly understable .

I use to throw stable to moderately overstable speed 9 discs for a period of time. I went through the Avenger, PD, and tried the Orion LF (the OLF was strictly used for field practice). Having more experience with the Avenger and PD, I can say that they are both good discs. In the end, I preferred the PD over the Avenger.

After some time with the PD in the bag I began throwing the Eagle-X (EX) during my practice sessions. I noticed that I was able to get the EX as far as the PD (380-400 on good rips). It required just a little more height. My distance driver was performing similar to the PD but it took less to get there. From my practice sessions, I started to debate with myself whether I should keep my disc setup or drop one mold for another. This debate wasn't quickly resolved. When I did resolve it, I took the PD out.

My reasons:

1. I could power-up on the EX to similar distances (or same) as the PD.
2. It took less power for me to get the EX to perform(line shape, etc) than a PD.
3. Due to the less power requirement, I could control (less error) the EX easier than the PD.
4. With the same or less power, I could get a stable or moderately overstable distance driver to cover the same distances (or greater) of the PD.
5. Taking out the PD would clear up some confusion from my bag.

With that said, I felt like I needed something to complement my distance driver (trespass) and EX that was more neutral or on the understable side. I eventually went with the speed 9 Orion LS (OLS). The OLS fills the straight to no fade shot, anhyzer shot, roller, etc. Anything that has to do with the neutral or understable spectrum.

I believe it may be better to have something more neutral in the control driver slot because the separation between the distances of a stable control driver, stable distance driver, and stable fairway driver can be negligible. Due to the distances being similar, I think it may be better to throw something that is easier to control and little slower hence me keeping a speed 7 fairway in the bag. In doing so there will be less overlap. I want the disc in my bag to complement each other and not overlap with each other horribly. Personally, I think that having too many molds (11-15 unique molds) can hurt a player's development.

Hope that helps in some way.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 202 Times in 141 Posts

I wouldn't think the eaglex is longer than the PD.

Not to talk you out of a slower disc because that often is more accurate have you tried the PD in P line?

A saint is very long and really straight by the way as well.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 97 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
I wouldn't think the eaglex is longer than the PD.

Not to talk you out of a slower disc because that often is more accurate have you tried the PD in P line?

A saint is very long and really straight by the way as well.
I imagine the PD being longer on lower lines since it is faster. I have crushed a seasoned EX around 420 ft with a little height. On lower lines I can throw a distance driver or a neutral speed 9 disc.

While being a good disc, I find it is less advantageous for me to carry the PD than to use a distance and fairway driver to cover the PD shots.

Yeah, I have tried a PPD. They are good but beat in too fast for my liking.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 2
Niced 420 Times in 309 Posts

As I have experience with PDs, TeeBirds, Eagle-Xs, ORCs, Wraiths, and Destroyers the best pairings are that I have 2 Eagle-Xs (fresh domey champ and seasoned star), Champ FireBird, Champ ORC, G-CD2, and 4 PDs (fresh Luster C, seasoned C, lightly used S, seasoned P). I don't bag Destroyers during the winter but when I do I bag a McBeth Star/ Bottom Stamped Star, Echo Star, Pro and hopefully I can find a E-DS Echo Star and bag that as well. I have a seasoned Star Wraith that I will occasionally bag as well as a S-DDx and a Champ Mamba.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

I think the lesson to be learned here is that Teebirds fly pretty far.

The olf is a control driver with a distance driver heart. It's not going to be fighting headwinds at that power level, though. Don't use an ols at your power level for the straight to fade shot.

How much time have you invested in your pd to work them in? Serious question. Pd can be pretty overstable.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 122
Niced 561 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesummers View Post
I have been throwing teebirds and destroyers for a long time now. When I started throwing them it didn't seem like most people threw anything in between them. Now it seems like everyone who can throw far throws either a PD or a thunderbird in that control driver slot. I have thrown both of these and they both seem to be barely longer than a teebird. Is the control driver slot really necessary for me? Am I throwing the wrong ones? For reference I can throw around 450-500 feet.
Certain fairway drivers are sneaky long. I throw around the same distance and when I empty my bag in a field, my Axiom Crave is often right next to my Destroyer-esque drivers. Teebirds were like that for me too. I used to bag TB's and Destroyers as well, and there'd usually be less than 20' difference between them in an open field.

Part of the advantage of faster discs is their ability to fly a lower line and pierce through wind more easily. It's not solely about distance.

I carry an Axiom Wrath in this slot. Closest disc to that molded by Innova is probably the Discmania DD in Star plastic.

I like it for controlled, low line flicks that need a hyzer finish. Hard and low backhands that need to go very straight. Long, glidey hyzers that have more lateral movement than my fairways offer. Things like that.

Another disc I liked for this slot is the Millennium OLF. I primarily through them in Champ, or Q. They are closer to Eagles than Teebirds, with a touch of high speed turn and a nice fade. They can shape a ton of lines. Dunno how easy it is to find a good run of them though. That's something I couldn't go back to, having to hunt down specific runs of discs....
Old 12-12-2016, 09:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 49
Niced 475 Times in 317 Posts

I'll throw in another suggestion for the CD2. While it's a tick more understable than a Teebird, it's definitely longer and has great glide. I hoard S-Line CD2s and they have phenomenal capability for dead straight frozen rope shots in the woods, slow pan flex shots for around 325'-350', and hyzerflips that penetrate like nobody's business. Great discs.

For reference, this is coming from a player that maxes out at 400'.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 586 Times in 430 Posts

My answer to this is Axiom Neutron Wrath. It's my favorite for this slot and I've been searching for a couple years.

I also had success with a Millenium OLF , Thunderbird, PD. But I feel the PD and OLF start out more overstable, even the thunderbird was pretty OS. The Wrath hits laser lines while not turning over and still having a confident fade. It's one of my favorite new additions to my bag this past year. Highly Recommend a Wrath. I would describe it as a longer/faster teebird3

Niced: (1)

Old 12-12-2016, 04:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 586 Times in 430 Posts

Yes a worked in Starfire is a sweet disc for this slot as well.

But if you want something off the shelf that flys like a smooth teebird, but faster. Axiom Wrath 170-175g I give it flight # 10/4/-0.5/2 I have 2 of them and both fly this way , I have a good power/snap and i leave it pretty level, its not a flippy disc, you need to laser it and it will fly like a LASERRRRRRRRRRRR