#11  
Old 08-27-2019, 11:04 AM
askoa askoa is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Espoo, Finland
Posts: 13
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I threw them for 20 years before getting sponsored and learning the wonders of the M4. My experience was the exact opposite of this.
I also loved throwin Dx and Kc flattop Rocs. They beat in nicely and usually become solid hyzerflip to straight discs that reach surprising distances.
Also found a love for the M4 and have thus weened off the Roc completely. Found the Md3 to be more similar to the M4 as hand feel goes switched to that.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-27-2019, 11:40 AM
tennesseetailor tennesseetailor is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 95
Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by askoa View Post
Also found a love for the M4 and have thus weened off the Roc completely.
I went from M4s to now Rocs because of how deep the M4 is. I had to powergrip them to get a comfortable hold or they'd slip out early. I was only using 400 and 400G M4s, never baseline plastic, so that may have something to do with it, I suppose.

Rocs feel great whether I fan- or powergrip them, which has really expanded my midrange game.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-27-2019, 11:43 AM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,145
Niced 2,410 Times in 882 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I threw them for 20 years before getting sponsored and learning the wonders of the M4. My experience was the exact opposite of this.
You flick a lot though, right? I always thought the flat top thing prolly made the disc faster with less glide dependence and that might* make them work for a flick in a way that they don't for my weaksauce backhand.

*just a guess, no scientific evidence has been produced that prove or disprove my theory
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-27-2019, 12:10 PM
franklinturnover franklinturnover is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 79
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Sounds like I can avoid the flat tops if I'm looking to compliment the sentinels
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-27-2019, 12:16 PM
biscoe biscoe is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Posts: 6,613
Niced 2,021 Times in 843 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
You flick a lot though, right? I always thought the flat top thing prolly made the disc faster with less glide dependence and that might* make them work for a flick in a way that they don't for my weaksauce backhand.

*just a guess, no scientific evidence has been produced that prove or disprove my theory
I very seldom flick a midrange.

I always found the flat tops (first ching then the ones they ran through the press without the dye sub) to be more consistent in flight (read as more overstable out of the box), have less glide (my preference ymmv), and to beat in wonderfully.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-27-2019, 12:21 PM
SonicGuy's Avatar
SonicGuy SonicGuy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,824
Niced 556 Times in 296 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
You flick a lot though, right? I always thought the flat top thing prolly made the disc faster with less glide dependence and that might* make them work for a flick in a way that they don't for my weaksauce backhand.

*just a guess, no scientific evidence has been produced that prove or disprove my theory
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I threw them for 20 years before getting sponsored and learning the wonders of the M4. My experience was the exact opposite of this.
My $.02 is that the flat tops fly squirrelly if you throw higher lines. If you roc shots are more like buzzz lazers the flat tops beat in great.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-27-2019, 12:24 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,145
Niced 2,410 Times in 882 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinturnover View Post
Sounds like I can avoid the flat tops if I'm looking to compliment the sentinels
I'm not a good person to say since I don't like the flattops, but Sentinels to me pair well with the regular Rancho Roc. Rancho's like a little air under them where Sentinels are a bit faster, so on a low ceiling you can rip a Sentinel on that line and then let the Roc ride when you have more air to work with. I really only use the Sentinel for headwinds and low ceilings, but I always seem to have 2-3 shots a round where it seems like a better fit for the shot I have than a Roc. So Rancho Roc/Sentinel pairs up well for me.

The combo that sees me use the Sentinel more is Comet/Sentinel. In that pairing I end up throwing the Sentinel on all the shots I use my fresh-ish KC Pro Roc on. There are also days with the Comet where I just totally lose my feel for the disc (usually it's a big wind/open course day) and I just lean on the Sentinel as my crutch to get by. I swap out my DX Rancho Rocs for Z Comets in the winter and the Sentinel really makes that possible.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-27-2019, 12:32 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,145
Niced 2,410 Times in 882 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I very seldom flick a midrange.

I always found the flat tops (first ching then the ones they ran through the press without the dye sub) to be more consistent in flight (read as more overstable out of the box), have less glide (my preference ymmv), and to beat in wonderfully.
Have you thrown the newer flattops? Back in the day the Ching Rocs were always more overstable out of the box, but now people say they are straighter (less overstable) out of the box. I've been confused by that, but not enough to throw any to try to figure it out.

I love glide. If it wasn't for glide, none of my shots would go anywhere. Which is pretty much why I hated the flattops; I could throw my putter farther so what was the point?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-27-2019, 02:15 PM
spinachd spinachd is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: 612 Wharf Avenue
Courses Played: 135
Posts: 708
Niced 69 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Your average 180 DX Roc is the best Roc (and the best all around disc in DG). They have consistent and moderate dome, at least in recent years. I do think the max weight is important.

My experience w KC Rocs is usually too much dome. My experience with flat-top DX Rocs and DX Roc3 is that they are prone to unexpected turnovers. If you back off them they can be prone to sooner than expected fade.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 08-27-2019, 02:36 PM
biscoe biscoe is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Posts: 6,613
Niced 2,021 Times in 843 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Have you thrown the newer flattops? Back in the day the Ching Rocs were always more overstable out of the box, but now people say they are straighter (less overstable) out of the box. I've been confused by that, but not enough to throw any to try to figure it out.

I love glide. If it wasn't for glide, none of my shots would go anywhere. Which is pretty much why I hated the flattops; I could throw my putter farther so what was the point?
Newest one i've thrown would be 4 years old at this point. Haven't thrown anything but Prodigy for a little over 3 years.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roc Question jbrown287 Discs 18 07-04-2013 03:16 AM
What are Prodigy guys throwing (WARNING! Huge pointless Buzzz/Roc debate inclusive.) discgolf4lif3 Discs 92 03-06-2013 05:44 PM
@ the guys that tried to steal my Roc... MNcyclone General Disc Golf Chat 49 08-29-2011 09:50 PM
question for the guys who made their own internal frames gkeberhart Discs 4 02-28-2011 09:50 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.