Old 08-27-2019, 11:04 AM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I threw them for 20 years before getting sponsored and learning the wonders of the M4. My experience was the exact opposite of this.
I also loved throwin Dx and Kc flattop Rocs. They beat in nicely and usually become solid hyzerflip to straight discs that reach surprising distances.
Also found a love for the M4 and have thus weened off the Roc completely. Found the Md3 to be more similar to the M4 as hand feel goes switched to that.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2019, 11:40 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by askoa View Post
Also found a love for the M4 and have thus weened off the Roc completely.
I went from M4s to now Rocs because of how deep the M4 is. I had to powergrip them to get a comfortable hold or they'd slip out early. I was only using 400 and 400G M4s, never baseline plastic, so that may have something to do with it, I suppose.

Rocs feel great whether I fan- or powergrip them, which has really expanded my midrange game.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:43 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,410 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
I threw them for 20 years before getting sponsored and learning the wonders of the M4. My experience was the exact opposite of this.
You flick a lot though, right? I always thought the flat top thing prolly made the disc faster with less glide dependence and that might* make them work for a flick in a way that they don't for my weaksauce backhand.

*just a guess, no scientific evidence has been produced that prove or disprove my theory
Old 08-27-2019, 12:10 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Sounds like I can avoid the flat tops if I'm looking to compliment the sentinels
Old 08-27-2019, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,021 Times in 843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
You flick a lot though, right? I always thought the flat top thing prolly made the disc faster with less glide dependence and that might* make them work for a flick in a way that they don't for my weaksauce backhand.

*just a guess, no scientific evidence has been produced that prove or disprove my theory
I very seldom flick a midrange.

I always found the flat tops (first ching then the ones they ran through the press without the dye sub) to be more consistent in flight (read as more overstable out of the box), have less glide (my preference ymmv), and to beat in wonderfully.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 556 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
My $.02 is that the flat tops fly squirrelly if you throw higher lines. If you roc shots are more like buzzz lazers the flat tops beat in great.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-27-2019, 12:24 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinturnover View Post
Sounds like I can avoid the flat tops if I'm looking to compliment the sentinels
I'm not a good person to say since I don't like the flattops, but Sentinels to me pair well with the regular Rancho Roc. Rancho's like a little air under them where Sentinels are a bit faster, so on a low ceiling you can rip a Sentinel on that line and then let the Roc ride when you have more air to work with. I really only use the Sentinel for headwinds and low ceilings, but I always seem to have 2-3 shots a round where it seems like a better fit for the shot I have than a Roc. So Rancho Roc/Sentinel pairs up well for me.

The combo that sees me use the Sentinel more is Comet/Sentinel. In that pairing I end up throwing the Sentinel on all the shots I use my fresh-ish KC Pro Roc on. There are also days with the Comet where I just totally lose my feel for the disc (usually it's a big wind/open course day) and I just lean on the Sentinel as my crutch to get by. I swap out my DX Rancho Rocs for Z Comets in the winter and the Sentinel really makes that possible.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-27-2019, 12:32 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
I very seldom flick a midrange.

I always found the flat tops (first ching then the ones they ran through the press without the dye sub) to be more consistent in flight (read as more overstable out of the box), have less glide (my preference ymmv), and to beat in wonderfully.
Have you thrown the newer flattops? Back in the day the Ching Rocs were always more overstable out of the box, but now people say they are straighter (less overstable) out of the box. I've been confused by that, but not enough to throw any to try to figure it out.

I love glide. If it wasn't for glide, none of my shots would go anywhere. Which is pretty much why I hated the flattops; I could throw my putter farther so what was the point?
Old 08-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 69 Times in 33 Posts

Your average 180 DX Roc is the best Roc (and the best all around disc in DG). They have consistent and moderate dome, at least in recent years. I do think the max weight is important.

My experience w KC Rocs is usually too much dome. My experience with flat-top DX Rocs and DX Roc3 is that they are prone to unexpected turnovers. If you back off them they can be prone to sooner than expected fade.

Niced: (1)

Old 08-27-2019, 02:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,021 Times in 843 Posts

Quote:
Have you thrown the newer flattops? Back in the day the Ching Rocs were always more overstable out of the box, but now people say they are straighter (less overstable) out of the box. I've been confused by that, but not enough to throw any to try to figure it out.

I love glide. If it wasn't for glide, none of my shots would go anywhere. Which is pretty much why I hated the flattops; I could throw my putter farther so what was the point?
Newest one i've thrown would be 4 years old at this point. Haven't thrown anything but Prodigy for a little over 3 years.