Old 08-27-2019, 12:55 PM

Years Playing: 34.9
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 54 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Old TP Comets are my favorite feeling Comets. Phenomenal grip and decent durability. Elite X is the next best grip for me. But for performance, it is tough to beat the ESPs (all mine are domey first and second run LE ESPs)
If you like the old TP Comets (I'm assuming you mean the tournament pro plastic like the old white Ron Russell Comets) . . . have you tried the Jawbreaker comets? The plastic feel & disc shape is very similar, although the Jawbreaker is much less stable and durable. Although I did add one to my bag (yes, max weight) for those super low effort turnover shots.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-27-2019, 01:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Niced 815 Times in 371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecandydan View Post
If you like the old TP Comets (I'm assuming you mean the tournament pro plastic like the old white Ron Russell Comets) . . . have you tried the Jawbreaker comets? The plastic feel & disc shape is very similar, although the Jawbreaker is much less stable and durable. Although I did add one to my bag (yes, max weight) for those super low effort turnover shots.
Oh coooolllllll... didn't know they were making those. I stopped paying attention because I bought a ridiculous number of ESP Comets (lifetime supply) back when they were "Limited Edition". Hahahaha, so much for limited.

I'll go buy some of those now. Thanks again for the heads-up... is there anything else I'm missing in the world of Comets?
Old 08-27-2019, 05:09 PM

Years Playing: 34.9
Courses Played: 48
Niced 54 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Oh coooolllllll... didn't know they were making those. I stopped paying attention because I bought a ridiculous number of ESP Comets (lifetime supply) back when they were "Limited Edition". Hahahaha, so much for limited.

I'll go buy some of those now. Thanks again for the heads-up... is there anything else I'm missing in the world of Comets?
Well, Jawbreakers are limited too (at least for now). They were Ledgestone discs and also a special run with the OG Saturn stamp. Somewhat hard to find, you have to keep your eyes open. But they do feel a lot like a Ron Russel comet . . .

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2019, 05:18 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,409 Times in 725 Posts

Quote:
I wish Comets were made from Gateway's SurGrip. They have some phenomenal versions of that plastic.
Discraft's X plastic seems to be "driver X" regardless of the mold. It would be nice to get Gateway's level of grip while still being able to maintain firmness. Fossil Comets would cause me to empty my bank account, and I don't throw often anymore.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:27 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts

Anyone who doesn’t like the Discraft plastics should try a Kastaplast Gte with that sweet K1 plastic. Very similar to a Comet in shape. Got one of each (z & k1) and they fly exactly the same.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,111 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPe View Post
Anyone who doesnt like the Discraft plastics should try a Kastaplast Gte with that sweet K1 plastic. Very similar to a Comet in shape. Got one of each (z & k1) and they fly exactly the same.
Is it the older firmer style K1 the Kaxe was released in or the newer more flexible driver style?

Z is pretty hard to beat for premium plastic.

Now, if it is released in k3...

Niced: (1)
Old 08-27-2019, 06:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
...Z is pretty hard to beat for premium plastic.
hahahaha, pun intended?

Old 08-27-2019, 06:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,111 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
hahahaha, pun intended?
No, but good catch.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:29 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 226 Times in 71 Posts

I'm officially on the Comet train now. I bought a Z Comet a few years ago and didn't like anything about it. Couldn't play much the last couple of years due to a few health issues, so trying to get back into it, I am finding my Buzzz's not being as trusty as I would like, so on a whim I got an ESP Comet. It flies beautifully, and I know I am not (yet) good enough to harness much of it's amazingness .

For those talking about X plastic, maybe I am an anomaly, but I have 3 discs in X plastic (a Buzzz, a Heat, and a Mantis) and they all feel like completely different plastics. The Buzzz is GStar-esque (which I love), the Mantis feels more like DX, and the Heat is a little in between.. like pro maybe? I'm hesitant to buy anything in X because of this experience.

Niced: (2)

Old 09-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perklc View Post
I'm hesitant to buy anything in X because of this experience.
Your story is the same thing that happened to many of us. Bought a Comet, hated it, gave up. Came back later, loved it. I haaatttteeeddd it when I first bought it and now it is my favorite disc of all time.

X Comets are great, at least the ones I have. They start out neutral and break in to gorgeous turning discs. I still have and use my first one from nearly 20 years ago. Super straight for low powered shots, smooth turn for 175’+ shots.

Mine don’t feel IDENTICAL (~10 X Comets) but I don’t see as much variation as you described.