Old 10-09-2019, 11:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 324 Times in 163 Posts
Default OB: Reverse Island

This thought hit me while playing a local course that is under construction. My thought was to have a reverse island during a tournament. That is, the island is OB off the tee box on a fairly short hole. My thought was to have a bit of risk/reward for trying to get withing putting distance. Get too close and a penalty stroke and drop zone. But get close enough without a lie on the island might give you a reasonable birdie putt. It was also inspired by this hole that does basically the same thing but with a safe landing area around the basket.

Is there any reason that a "reverse island" cannot be done under the rules?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2019, 11:36 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,604 Times in 729 Posts

I think the basket can be located in OB. However, calling the island a Hazard would also be legal. I'm thinking the best idea would be to make the island a Relief Area where a player landing on it must go to a drop zone maybe on the edge of the grass, with no penalty, and have to make a longish putt.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:43 PM
Par Member

Niced 97 Times in 65 Posts

Dubs league calls it lava. Inside the line is out, take your shot where it was last in
Old 10-09-2019, 11:51 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I think the basket can be located in OB. However, calling the island a Hazard would also be legal. I'm thinking the best idea would be to make the island a Relief Area where a player landing on it must go to a drop zone maybe on the edge of the grass, with no penalty, and have to make a longish putt.

That was kind of my thought, except to make the drop zone a very longish putt and keep the penalty. I.e., try to spread the scores between 4s and 2s. Lay up perfectly and have a good chance at a 2. Land too close and have a really high chance of a 4.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 755 Times in 527 Posts

Played that way up at my place a while back.. It was fun, I should have made the island bigger, and the drop zone further back. Played it doubles with no penalty. Thats one of the reasons for the drop zone but no-one needed it, or took a penalty, or a three haha. Not exactly as I planned.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:30 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,604 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
That was kind of my thought, except to make the drop zone a very longish putt and keep the penalty. I.e., try to spread the scores between 4s and 2s. Lay up perfectly and have a good chance at a 2. Land too close and have a really high chance of a 4.
Not sure anyone should get the equivalent of a two shot penalty for such a minor error. In addition, you take away the fun of going for it with too much of a penalty for landing on the island. Why would anyone want to try and make the putt from the DZ with the possibility of taking the equivalent of another 2-shot penalty if they miss?

Niced: (1)
Old 10-10-2019, 07:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,012 Times in 838 Posts

Someone has been watching a little too much USDGC video...

Niced: (2)
Old 10-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Not sure anyone should get the equivalent of a two shot penalty for such a minor error. In addition, you take away the fun of going for it with too much of a penalty for landing on the island. Why would anyone want to try and make the putt from the DZ with the possibility of taking the equivalent of another 2-shot penalty if they miss?
No OB from the drop zone. A player who lands in OB would have a longish putt at par. If there were no penalty, the person who landed OB would have a longish putt at birdie. I know you don't like penalties and that we cannot even agree on what a penalty is, but there's little purpose in making the island OB without the penalty.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,012 Times in 838 Posts

Is this some featureless wide open land that needs contrived elements for making holes interesting?

Old 10-10-2019, 10:00 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 134 Times in 46 Posts

So if you get an ace you lose?"........forget the gimmicks and play the the game