Old 02-04-2015, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 823 Times in 563 Posts
Default The distance slot I cannot fill

Very happy with most of my max D driver line up. I can go all 12 with Terns, Forces and a Blizz Destro for downwind, or I can mix it up and go 11 with Renegades, Flow, Archon, Wraith etc.

What I can't seem to find, and I recognize I may need to simply adjust how I throw some of these, is the one between a Champ Tern and say a less stable ESP Force. Into a hard head wind, my ESP Force stays very straight, then fades a bit at the end. My X Force is a meathook. My most stable Tern handles slight head wind, and maybe a little more with a hyzer release, but if it flips all the way up to flat, she's gone right never to return.

Trespasses have started good, but seem to beat in faster than any other D driver. Swords were very similar. Bought a Slaidi in base plastic, and it might as well be a beast. The Star Wraith I bought was used, but in great shape and turned easier for me than expected.

The current Star Destroyers are crazy overstable for me. But then again, I've only tried one, and it was a white 175.

I am open to suggestions even if it means more of the above in different weight/plastics.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2015, 12:06 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts

I always found a seasoned version of my stable/OS driver to be the best disc in that situation Sucked when you lost one and didn't have a backup but regardless those 0 HSS discs which lose the LSS are the best. Sounds like you need to find some BEAT up ESP/Z forces. WHen I threw forces for a bit too I know dome was a factor to consider in how the disc will fly. One was more LSS than the other.

Something like a PD is a little slower but are very straight and fly far into a headwind.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 39
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

I'm in the exact spot. I need something that can hold up a bit better than a Champ Tern.

Have you tried a G* Destroyer?

I am hoping to use one exactly as you describe, but it isn't here yet. I've read they are a bit less beefy than the Stars, which are beefier than I want for the shot you describe. Like you, I've only thrown a 175 SDS though (a friends). It definitely held up to the wind, but faded out quicker than I'd like.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Sounds like you need to find some BEAT up ESP/Z forces.
I think you are right. As cheap as the Xs are, I should just carry one and when I enter the woods, just start throwing it into the thickest forest I see.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,291 Times in 2,274 Posts

I bet there are at least 3 beat up Zforces in the used bins at the one of the local shops. Do you have a PIAS or a good disc shop in your area, some of my best discs have come from the used bins.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:14 PM
FROLF OFF!

Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts

yeah I imagine you can find a plethora of old forces in used disc bins too at the same prices as new baseline. pretty sure PIAS always has one or 2 or 10. lol would be happy to go see if they have some fugly ones for you.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I bet there are at least 3 beat up Zforces in the used bins at the one of the local shops. Do you have a PIAS or a good disc shop in your area, some of my best discs have come from the used bins.
No source for used discs here. Just the stuff Academy has, and mostly Discraft at hastings. Closest would be a shop 2 hours away in a city I almost never travel to. I'll have to plan a trip to Shreveport soon, but it's about to be my prime fishing season.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 163
Niced 1,177 Times in 579 Posts

Totally underappreciated disc suggestion -- Teedevils. A little more Stable/OS than champ Terns, with a flatter profile that helps fight wind. The champ Teedevils (not blizzard) are solid windfighters and good all-purpose high speed lazers. The stars do what stars do -- beat in to straighter faster. Some/many people don't like the angled shoulder and how that fits in your hand, but if you don't mind or like the feel, they are great drivers right between the Tern and Destro, but don't have the dome differences.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrboy View Post
Totally underappreciated disc suggestion -- Teedevils. A little more Stable/OS than champ Terns, with a flatter profile that helps fight wind. The champ Teedevils (not blizzard) are solid windfighters and good all-purpose high speed lazers. The stars do what stars do -- beat in to straighter faster. Some/many people don't like the angled shoulder and how that fits in your hand, but if you don't mind or like the feel, they are great drivers right between the Tern and Destro, but don't have the dome differences.
I have liked Archons in the past, so I think I could deal with the shape. The only ones local are some blizzards that showed up at hastings.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 112
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

G* Destroyer is what you seek.