Old 06-13-2018, 09:52 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,609 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini View Post
In Feb or march Dodge said that the van was going to be at a couple of stops other than to the DGPT... But i doubt BSF would take a step down from an NT to a DGPT... Unless something happens to the NT...
The PDGA typically rotates NT locations within regions that have more than one established top level event. So Dodge might be looking to include some events that may not be an NT some years.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2018, 10:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Just to make sure we understand:

I don't play on courses that use these baskets, see, it's not that I'm in love with them like JC.

Eagle missed a ten foot putt that hit center chains to the right, and it came out the back side center chains.

Tens of Thousands of putts from that distance fall into baskets every weekend. Five year old kids make putts from that distance every weekend (that would be because genetically they don't have the strength to toss the disc as hard as a twenty year old). Some of the baskets those putts stay in are bent, lopsided, way older and way uglier than these baskets.

The notion that you can't drop a putt into a basket from ten feet and not cut through is, um, funny.

The concept that the basket should catch my putt no matter how I throw it is, um, funnier.

The idea that Eagle was pissing in his pants excited, as would be any wise pundit here, and put too much heat on his putt, like he did on the hyzer he threw on the last hole at AO a while back, should be considered. Yes, I know, the basket should have caught it, he threw a perfect shot, being a professional disc golfer and all, and it was all the basket.

I wonder, if he had wound up in a tie, and lost the playoff, do you think he would have putted softer the next time or run at it hard again?

Some here love golf. Question, every time a golfer slugs the ball so that it runs over the cup, do they cry, "man they should have put in better cups?"

Old 06-13-2018, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,723 Times in 1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
I don't play on courses that use these baskets, see, it's not that I'm in love with them like JC.
Just to clarify something here. I'm not "in love" with these baskets. It's merely coincidence that I have the same models on my course (the new course I'm building is going to have something completely different). Anyone who's paid attention here should know that I tend to defend most targets from blame when a disc spits out. I did it with the Chainstars that poor Ricky had so much trouble with last year (Ledgestone and maybe one other event). I did it with the Mach Vs that were used at the course at the Memorial that is no longer used. I've long been of the opinion that it isn't the target, it's the thrower 98% of the time.

They know what they're throwing at, they have the capability of adjusting their speed to account for a basket with fewer chains or a softer configuration. The answer isn't targets with more chains and thicker configurations and the ability to catch a rocket going 1000000 miles an hour. It's players putting with a bit more finesse on occasion.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 156
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 154 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Don't they already have to add and remove a bunch of baskets around there anyway? Besides, why is that any different than what they have to do to play temp courses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
That doesn't seem too unreasonable and it's definitely feasible. There's a small b or c tier tourney at my local course where they play two rounds on it in one day. In between the rounds they remove all the baskets and relocate them to the opposite end of the hole and then the 2nd round is played backwards. If they can move the baskets around in the middle of a tourney-day for a small-time tourney, I don't see an issue with replacing the baskets before the tourney even starts for a major event.
Moving 18 baskets (presumably a temp basket) a few hundred feet is indeed very different than dragging 36 sleeved baskets completely off of a course and dragging 36 other sleeved baskets onto a course and installing. And then having to do the entire enterprise again after the event!

Niced: (1)
Old 06-13-2018, 12:13 PM
Par Member

Niced 87 Times in 60 Posts

Eagle just seems years ahead of other kids his age with mental maturity and toughness. Hes got an amazing foundation with his family supporting him, stays fit and healthy. He's already gone through the hard times with choking and losing tourneys at the end but now that hes winning his confidence is only getting stronger. 10 years from now it ill be interesting to see what the conversations about Eagle will be?? The sky is the limit and he has the fastest arm in golf. He could re write the record books??

Niced: (2)
Old 06-13-2018, 12:16 PM
Par Member

Niced 87 Times in 60 Posts

[QUOTE=lyleoross;3318990]Just to make sure we understand:

The notion that you can't drop a putt into a basket from ten feet and not cut through is, um, funny.

The concept that the basket should catch my putt no matter how I throw it is, um, funnier.

Physics can be funny. Crappy old chains certainly don't help
Old 06-13-2018, 12:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Just to clarify something here. I'm not "in love" with these baskets. It's merely coincidence that I have the same models on my course (the new course I'm building is going to have something completely different). Anyone who's paid attention here should know that I tend to defend most targets from blame when a disc spits out. I did it with the Chainstars that poor Ricky had so much trouble with last year (Ledgestone and maybe one other event). I did it with the Mach Vs that were used at the course at the Memorial that is no longer used. I've long been of the opinion that it isn't the target, it's the thrower 98% of the time.

They know what they're throwing at, they have the capability of adjusting their speed to account for a basket with fewer chains or a softer configuration. The answer isn't targets with more chains and thicker configurations and the ability to catch a rocket going 1000000 miles an hour. It's players putting with a bit more finesse on occasion.
Too late, it's forever fixed in DGCourseReview lore, JC loves Discatchers but only the ones from BSF.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 115
Niced 287 Times in 140 Posts

[QUOTE=Nubes;3319028]
Quote:

I've never played Milo but it is on the bucket list. This being said, looked to me like Eagle's putt on the last hole was slammed and practically vertical. To me, no fault of the basket/chains. (BTW, does rust stop chains from "catching"?)
Old 06-13-2018, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

[QUOTE=Nubes;3319028]
Quote:

Coitenly Not! Especially if you crash your disc into them.

If the argument is physics, well yeah, physics happens. Like when I hit my ball too hard with my putter and the physics of momentum takes hold and it bounces over the cup. Of if I throw my putter harder than the physical ability of a new basket to catch the disc. Or if I throw my putter too hard at an older basket forgetting that the .0005 feet per second difference in disc speed, center chain, means it will bounce through. Darn it, I should have just lobbed it in easy.

Yes, old baskets happen, unless I'm willing to bring my own, I should accommodate that eventuality. Even more so, I should recognize that splash throughs and bounce outs aren't universal. Some players have more of them than others. Why? It must be that the baskets prefer some players over others, that's the ticket.

We live in a world where the TD at BSF made nothing (or very little relative to the effort). States increasingly pay less for public services and public parks. If someone wants the baskets replaced, by all means. Set up a Go Fund Me and I'll donate to it myself.

Niced: (2)

Old 06-13-2018, 12:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 165
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 460 Times in 208 Posts

[QUOTE=TimSyl;3319031]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubes View Post

. . . (BTW, does rust stop chains from "catching"?)
Rust usually helps chains catch better. Higher coefficient of friction.

Unless the chains are rusted in place. Then, not so much.

Niced: (1)