Old 10-26-2018, 04:41 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 128 Times in 85 Posts
Default drk_evns Backhand Form Thread

Hey everyone!

I've been waiting until the end of the "season" before I started this so I wasn't trying to do too much while I was regularly doing tournaments.

I played my last big event of the season last week and ended up winning! I was super happy to cap off the season with a win and finally stringing some 900+ rated rounds together. I'm seeing all the field work from early in the season pay off. Had my first tournament "turkey" capped off with a parked 450 foot hyzer shot.

Now I'm revisiting my form.

I have been really comfortable hitting 400+ this season, but one consistent issue has been my off-arm. I ended up focusing a lot on balance this season, so I kind of left my off-arm inactive. It does a little swim motion, but it's always way outside my body to the left.

I'm working on developing a swim-move like Drew Gibson, as I like the efficiency of the movement.

Here is my form today:

Putters went to about 300-325 feet, fairways to about 380-400, and the two Destroyers were at 425 and 460.

After throwing these, I threw them back and went past where I was standing on these original drives. I think I may have broke 500 with a big sky flex shot but didn't have my wheel to measure it. I feel like I'm really close to 500. Once I break it, I'm going to get drone footage of it with a follow flight.

Anyways...

Now that I'm focusing on the off-arm, some issues I recently "solved" have snuck their way back in.

I noticed:

1. x-step is too large, causing me to go out of balance (head outside of the knees during reach back). Need some more Hershyzer/crush the can.

2. My shoulder angle is collapsing again. It could definitely be wider during the power power pocket and I'm hugging myself a bit.

3. Early reach back (always happens when I go out of balance like this... It's like I have to wait a split second before the pull for my body to fall into balance).

I know how to fix these, and expect once I engrain this new off-arm movement into muscle memory, it will be easy to adjust back into balance. These are really common issues for me that begin to sneak back in if I'm not focused, so I think just more repetition is in order.

What else do you see?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by drk_evns; 10-26-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,819 Times in 1,730 Posts

Yeah your long x-step isn't helping your balance/leverage, and you are turning back too early before your rear foot lands. Your rear arm isn't swimming, it's too late and going just going down and forward after you plant with the disc instead of countering away. The rear arm needs to be forward as you plant, then swim away.

Note at 9 sec how the rear hand is moving forward as he plants. Then at 10 sec the rear hand starts moving back away to counter the release of the arm swing.

Avery is more similar to your build and better footwork than Drew IMO. Note how Avery's head is always leveraged forward of his feet, upright balance and centered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drkevans aj backswing.jpg (64.9 KB, 66 views)

Niced: (1)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 10-27-2018 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:57 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 128 Times in 85 Posts

Yes! Definitely seeing/feeling all of that. I wondered why my hand sort of stayed in the same spot. It must have been getting my arm in closer to my core that provided the increase in distance.

Working on getting my balance back in check and getting my off arm moving backwards in the release.

I think I have the timing now. New video later today.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,819 Times in 1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
Yes! Definitely seeing/feeling all of that. I wondered why my hand sort of stayed in the same spot. It must have been getting my arm in closer to my core that provided the increase in distance.
Yeah, it's in tight and firming up the rear side and increasing your rotation, but it's over-rotating you through the release/contact point, so you aren't getting full extension.